Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: HDD/shutdown     submit to reddit submit to twitter

HDD/shutdown

Has anybody else started having problem with your HDD from /shutdown, if you play on ps2?
    All of a sudden after i /shutdown yesterday it said there was errors on my HDD, and it started the program up that auto-fixes it. Only it apparently did not fix it since it keeped getting error messages everytime i try to turn pol on......
    After the last time it ran the program to "fix" it, my ps2 won't even recognize my HDD anymore ; ; even when the orange light from it goes on......

do you think this is from /shutdown'ing or my hdd is just messed up bad?

Sounds like your hardrive is about finished.

/shutdown doesn't function properly for me now, just makes me do a regular log out. That occurred after some recent patch but I can't remember which, it was during the summer.

I had to replace my ps2 recently and my connection has been shit for about 2 months but no I've never encountered your problem :x

i guess it was time for a long break from the game anyway...
    i wonder what will happen to my chocobo the yellow runt

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

/shutdown doesn't function properly for me now, just makes me do a regular log out
    yeah I have the same problem but it only doing that in ToA zones but not in mog house

/shutdown is doing a loggout for me any time theres a lot of people around, like aery etc.

I would prefer not to.
    Moms Spaghetti
    Philly Special

BG Level

Re: HDD/shutdown

Quote Originally Posted by shinobi_tabi
    Has anybody else started having problem with your HDD from /shutdown, if you play on ps2?
    All of a sudden after i /shutdown yesterday it said there was errors on my HDD, and it started the program up that auto-fixes it. Only it apparently did not fix it since it keeped getting error messages everytime i try to turn pol on......
    After the last time it ran the program to "fix" it, my ps2 won't even recognize my HDD anymore ; ; even when the orange light from it goes on......

do you think this is from /shutdown'ing or my hdd is just messed up bad?
    Monday I was on the boat to Nashmau when my game froze. Figured it was nothing big, so I just restarted my ps2 and tried to log back in.

PS2 failed to recognize that I have a hard drive.

Long story short, took my hard drive out and a friend let me use his hard drive just to see if his would work, it did. So if your situation is anything like mine, most likely your hard drive is shot.

Next pay check I'll be buying a new HDD, resintalling everything shall be awesome.

HDD/shutdown

Maybe try reformatting your PS2 HD with the cd it came with and reinstalling everything.

I bought the PS2 HDD on the day of FFXI PS2 release, it worked with little problems until about half a year ago. Then it became irreversably corrupted. Nothing I could do with the utility CD-ROM could help it. Eventually, the Sony people had me send it to them (they also made me send them the PS2 and Network adaptor, even though the problem was clearly limited to the HDD), where they replaced it for free.

Of course, while it was with them I bought the PC version and have never looked back. Even now I only use the PS2 version for HNM camps. But the point is you might not want to buy a new one, since they might fix it for you at no cost.

I would prefer not to.
    Moms Spaghetti
    Philly Special

BG Level

Re: HDD/shutdown

Quote Originally Posted by Thalion
    Maybe try reformatting your PS2 HD with the cd it came with and reinstalling everything.
    No dice. Tried lots of stuff in the "long story short" section of my story, heh.

HDD/shutdown

Dam that sucks, well at least FFXI isnt some game that takes a high end machine to run it decently.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Ya sounds like your HDD is dying. Thats how my first HDD acted (ps2). I ordered another one after trying format (when I got lucky and was able to access the HDD) and reinstalling like 2 times. Then it completely wouldn't notice the HDD and randomly the light showed up but still nothing. It's ... probably dead. Sad but eh, ebay and try to find another if you want to keep playing. Well you could get it for pc (loldesk).

I'm pretty sure you can order new HDDs directly off the sony website...even though they don't support the format anymore -.-

Pineapple Junkie
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Gnomeregan

I had same problem a while ago, I just did a regular shutdown. logged on next day and said it had an error and then didnt recognize the HDD. all I did was put that HDD into my friends PS2 then did the diagnostic and it said it was okay, put it back in my PS2 and worked perfectly

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Hey Tyd, question b/c i am having somewhat a similar problem as the OP, did you trying using the repair disc on your PS2 as well, what im wondering is why you had to try it on another PS2? It just wouldnt detect your HDD at all, despite the fact that it told you that there was an error on it? I'm confused

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Use an external HD for your PS2.

Links somewhere in this thread on how to: http://www.bluegartr.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12757

Sea Torques
    BG Level

/shutdown?

I just hit the power butten lol..

Release date PS2, only once had to adjust the laser. I prolly should replace the fan as it shatered ages ago lol

Pineapple Junkie
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Gnomeregan

Quote Originally Posted by Caelestis
    Hey Tyd, question b/c i am having somewhat a similar problem as the OP, did you trying using the repair disc on your PS2 as well, what im wondering is why you had to try it on another PS2? It just wouldnt detect your HDD at all, despite the fact that it told you that there was an error on it? I'm confused
    Well it first had an error so I restarted my PS2 then the HDD wasnt detected after that, oh yeah and I had to try on different PS2 because my old one wouldn't read discs lol I tried everything but it was shot.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

XD i had the same problem with my PS2, i thought it would never be able to read any kind of disc ever again (the problem wasnt even a DRE)...the drive that slives in and out of the PS2 was broken and the only way my PS2 can read discs is if i take it apart and put the discs without the covering, leaving the lens and all exposed. I honestly dont care either, the only thing i use my PS2 for (or did anyways, im trying to get a "HDD Utility disc" atm in order to try to fix the problem i have atm), so i dont mind that this is the only way its able to read any kind of disc.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

er double post, sorry