BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Question regarding SE and stolen account / items ... -.-

Didn't really think I would ever post something like this, but here's the situation:

On Friday (day of the pol update) my account was logged on to, and items / gil were stolen (noteably: Sheikh Manteel, Sniper Ring +1, Peacock Charm, Errant Cape, Flame Ring [the fuck?], Pentient's Rope [the fuck x2]) and 16m gil.

So when I get home from work, I see this, and figure I'm fucked. I realize there is a 99.9999% chance I will not get these items back or anything, but the following morning, the supposed person who stole said items sent me a tell "(Sheikh Manteel) (Do you need it?) ".

I wasn't so happy about this, so I called a GM, and got the normal run around "Account security is your responsibility blah blah blah" you know the drill. On Sunday I catch the guy zoning, and start talking to him. We go back and forth for about an hour while I am talking to a GM. During this conversation he mentions he used the exploit to get my info (I have no idea really what this exploit is... but whatever). I tell the GM (this is my 4th in 3 days) and he tells me to call POL and file a report.

So I do that today, and they say I have to file a police report with my local law enforcement.

Here's my question: has anyone actually gone through this process with law enforcement over an online account or incident, and did it have any results, or am I just wasting my time like I think I am?

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Call whoever stole your item dad

Quote Originally Posted by Kaylia
    Call whoever stole your item dad
    Waaaa help me big bad e-thug took my pixels

Sea Torques
    BG Level

lol local law enforcement for a crime commited over the computer? yeah the GM doesnt know what the hell he's talking about, your local PD isnt gonna give a shit about make-believe money on a video game getting stolen when they have alot more important things to care about like grand theft auto, arson, assault, murder, break-ins....my guess is this GM just led you on a wild goose chase cause he didnt want to look too stupid and say "im sorry there's nothing we can do cause we're worthless"

the only people who could possibly do anything is the branch of the government that deals with hackers/exploits/viruses...etc around the US, i think the CIA deals with it but im not sure...i think there's a lesser department that deals with high school kid hackers breaking into ATMs and shit like that

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Wow haven't heard this before EVER! Someone actually did file a police report, and had a detective sent to his house. The guy called SE asking for logs/information and was basically told "No you can't have the info and we don't care." I think this was posted on here by the guy who did it too. Anyone remember who it was?

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Isildur
    lol local law enforcement for a crime commited over the computer? yeah the GM doesnt know what the hell he's talking about, your local PD isnt gonna give a shit about make-believe money on a video game getting stolen when they have alot more important things to care about like grand theft auto, arson, assault, murder, break-ins....my guess is this GM just led you on a wild goose chase cause he didnt want to look too stupid and say "im sorry there's nothing we can do cause we're worthless"

the only people who could possibly do anything is the branch of the government that deals with hackers/exploits/viruses...etc around the US, i think the CIA deals with it but im not sure...i think there's a lesser department that deals with high school kid hackers breaking into ATMs and shit like that
    It's the FBI that primarily deals with it.

I don't think the FBI directly deals with cybercrimes this small, but I may be wrong.

FBI has a subsidiary organization called something like IC3 (I think its Internet Crimes Complaint Center) where some other organziation investigates it but the FBI funds it (I think). I may be wrong but I remember learning about something like that in a CIS or Law class or some shit.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix

I've had something simliar to this happen but I never had a chance to log onto my character becuase the credit card info was changed. When i talked to SE and asked what do i need to do to get my account back since i dont have the current CC # on the account he replied " Contact your local law inforcement and get a lawyer because your not getting the password to this account".

achilleus

shouldnt give out passwords.. thats like 3rd "hack" within ur ls.....lol

ive actually once bought a kirins osode and days later a gm took me to jail saying the item was stolen and took it away from me and gave me my gil back

and dude, i think the entire fbi/cia whatever would make fun of you if you reported an ffxi item stolen so dont even bother :>

Sea Torques
    BG Level

There's a 90% chance that you're fucked and won't ever see any of you stuff again. I'm also pretty sure that any type of law offical will mostly laugh in your face if you report this.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Volken
    Wow haven't heard this before EVER! Someone actually did file a police report, and had a detective sent to his house. The guy called SE asking for logs/information and was basically told "No you can't have the info and we don't care." I think this was posted on here by the guy who did it too. Anyone remember who it was?
    I know it's sarcasm, but the post might help the OP:

http://www.bluegartr.com/forum/viewt...r=asc&start=15

Scroll down to Judah's post about halfway down or so. In summary, if you do get a cop actually turning up to help you with this, SE will tell him to go fuck himself as well. >.>

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I find it pathetic that you got him to admit to the theft in chat and got him to admit to using an exploit and yet the GM wouldn't check logs to verify it. Typical, but pathetic.

Instead of filing a report with the PD, file one with the GMs manager. State that the GM you chatted with refused to investiage malicious 3rd party tool use when there was both evidence and admission in chat. Might be best to have TOS chapter and verse that's applicable here ready to quote to the GM you get. Hell, they reverse trade scams, they can fix this.

It's probably too late for them to dredge up chat logs now, but that's about the only recourse you have is to find a GM that will in fact check the chat logs between you two.

I can only suggest you call a GM and ask to speak to a senior GM, if he doesn't give you any result ask for his bosses address to write to (to pressure him into moving his ass). It seems a bit extreme to be filing a police report but it could count as theft of intellectual property (I have no idea really but it sounds apt).

If you get a stupid/lazy GM, you're screwed essentially.

Also Firas
    BG Level

I have a friend who got robbed before (he was dumb enough to lend his gear to people)

and as i heard from many people, he got his gear back by the help of a GM. He plays on Bahamut too.

I really feel that its about which GM you get that will determine whether you will get help or not.

>The Implying
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jeryhn Astracrown
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Firas_Gattz
    I really feel that its about which GM you get that will determine whether you will get help or not.
    This statement is the most correct.
    Some GMs are just pessimistic assholes.

As for calling your local PD, even if they can't do anything about it, they can refer you to someone who can (more than like the internet crimes division of the FBI). Someone logging into your account could potentially mean they have your name, credit info and address, and aquiring that information illegally is something very frowned upon.

ExcaliMod
    Paper Towels? Who needs paper towels, Under the sink they go!

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Firas your sig confuses me.

Also Firas
    BG Level

Firas is my old character; THF/PLD.

Now i play Gattz; THF/DRK/NIN.

if thats what you are refferring to.

ExcaliMod
    Paper Towels? Who needs paper towels, Under the sink they go!

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

doh, i see

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Bro Teampill
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

I don't understand how SE can be so ignorant. Unless the guy who did this was smart, he:

1. Probably hacked the account from the same sub-net he plays his main on.
    2. More than likely you probably play on a completely different sub-net.
    3. Coincidence that his sub-net is tied to the solitary log-in he made to your char to rape it?
    4. He more than likely logged off your char and right back on his, all under the same sub-net.

So how can SE be so callous as to say it's your responsibility when it's blatantly obvious (assuming the above is true) that it wasn't you who gave away all your stuff? Pisses me off to see this kinda shit pulled by them, even if it's someone I don't know, because I can empathize with how angry and frustrated you must be at this moment. Just another nail in the coffin for SE and its piss-poor customer service.