BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

ISPs for FFXI

I wanna get a new ISP cause mine sucks but I hear alot of horror stories about alot of them. Which ones suck ass and which ones are good for ffxi? I have pretty much all the major ones here.

Before I moved out of my parent's house I used RoadRunner (TimeWarner, whatever you wanna call it) with great success. Almost never d/c'd unless the FFXI servers went down, or a bad thunderstorm came through.

Now the ISP at this apartment complex won't even let me log onto PoL.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Comcast is the devil. I've had horrible luck with them both in the South Florida area and the Chicago area. Their customer service is horrible. Random service interruptions. And no notification for extended service interruptions. At one point our cable/internet was out for 3 days straight with no explanation why. I got the 'it should be back on in a couple of hours' response for 3 days straight. It was ridiculous.

Their TV service isn't much better. I've had 2 instances now where 'techs' come to set up HD boxes and either leave with them not working or leave with the wrong piece of equipment installed.

I did have good luck with Cox in the Omaha area. And when I had an issue their customer service was pretty decent.

Vygun

Using AT&T (old SBC)yahoo(DSL) and having a terrible time with it. It worked great for a long time I never dced at anything. Then they gave me a deal to switch to high speed internet and now I am dcing pretty often.. Time for a switch here as well I think.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by stollio
    Their TV service isn't much better. I've had 2 instances now where 'techs' come to set up HD boxes and either leave with them not working or leave with the wrong piece of equipment installed.
    I just recently had the same experience in Atlanta with Comcast. Other than that I rarely DC from ffxi. I have the comcast top tier cable modem with the HD DVR. I will say that the comcast on demand service is really nice.

Bellsouth DSL service was good, again rarely DC'd from FFXI, however their customer service is probably the worst I have ever dealy with.

Good luck!

Timewarner (RoadRunner) is great as Toralyn said. Never had any major outages or random dc's with them.

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Thanks for the help. I have Earthlink dsl and I like to stay online all day, with earthlink I get a dc like once a month or something.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

TimeWarner (Roadrunner) as others have said is very good. Rarely had any dc's unless by game servers.

Corwens a slot
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by ValoursLOLDRG
    Timewarner (RoadRunner) is great as Toralyn said. Never had any major outages or random dc's with them.
    ]

Yep

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syaoran Li
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

The cable company I use likes to d/c me once a day at the same time, sometimes more.

Cox Cable: do not want.

Ranger
    9900klub

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sonomaa Kihten
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Durotan
    Blog Entries

another roadrunner pwns here, Im going to be very upset when I move and cant get the sacred bird

roadrunner owns, I just went searching for a new apartment, and the first question I ask them is what's their cable company. Anything other than Time Warner and I leave, because that's all I need to hear to make me sure I don't want to live there.

I have had Comcast since I've been in Atlanta (4 years). The first 3 years it was crap, but I've come to realize it was because I lived in an apartment, obviously an overshared line. Now that I have bought a house, my Comcast is blazing fast and never D/C's. I do agree that the customer service is the worst, like, ever.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Verizon FiOS or fiber optic up to 15 - 30mps w00t!

Ranger
    9900klub

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sonomaa Kihten
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Durotan
    Blog Entries

my old apartment in tampa had my node right outside the door, I used to ping 5 to the timewarner counter-strike servers (5 is the lowest you could ping in CS at the time) and never more than 40 to basically any east coast server there was
    when the node got hit by lighting, there were guys outside working on it, it was a thing of beauty, all that speed and power /drools

I miss that apartment...

Verizon's FiOS is just about the fastest thing out there right now--i've heard nothing but praise for it. It's a fibreoptic connection, and you generally get speeds that shit all over comcast for far less in price.

Only downside is there arn't many areas where you can get the service because it's cost them a ton of money to build the infrastructure for it.

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Time Warner will say they are fiber optics too..... that is kinda bullshit and misleading. The big difference is Verizon brings the fiber line all the way to your property, dig a ditch and bring the cable and install it on the side of your house. Unfortunatly it isn't available for appartments yet. But it will be very soon.

The FiOS TV is badass too.. regular channels look like HD and HD looks like TRUHD. Simply amazing.

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Any way to find out if fiber optics comes to where I live? I heard it doesnt but I don't know for sure.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor
    WoW Realm
    Barthilas

http://www22.verizon.com/content/ConsumerFios/

They are building the infrastructure in my area now... I'm on Comcast now, haven't had any problems with connections except during massive storms or carrier trunk lines that have hiccups.

I use comcast, I havn't Dc'd in about 3 months. (Aside from POL crashing)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast