+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Blau Dolch, Harpe, Misericorde+1 - tests & results

Hello all fellow Thieves out there!

Recently I bought Blau Dolch and I wanted to test a few configurations of daggers in order to pick the best one.

What I did was 3x50 Sneak Attacks on Huge Hornets (always only level 1) just outside Bastok Mines. So - 150 Sneak Attacks in total.

My stats were:
    STR: 62+15
    DEX: 80+34/37 (depending on whether I was using Mis+1 or not)
    Attack: 348/364 (depending on whether I was using Blau Dolch or not)

Here's the table:

Code:
            wDMG: 35 Att: 364 DEX:80+34     wDMG: 35 Att: 348 DEX:80+37     wDMG: 33 Att: 364 DEX:80+37
    50      harpe/blau                      harpe/mis+1                     blau/mis+1              
    average 576,52                          590,92                          580,52          
    max     600 (22x, 44%)                  611 (23x, 46%)                  600 (29x, 58%)
    min     527 (1x, 2%)                    536 (1x, 2%)                    530 (1x, 2%)
    And here's what's important - a chart:

http://gnu.univ.gda.pl/~huckster/ff11/daggers.gif
    X axis - number of hits
    Y axis - damage

As you can see - higher DEX results in placing the whole damage curve higher, and thus - moving highest dmg scores a few numbers up (611 dmg instead of 600).

More attack makes the damage curve more steep - resulting in more highest (capped) dmg scores (29/50 (58% of times), instead of 22-23 (44-46% of times).

So - summing up - with 178 delay, Attack+16 and Accuracy+5 I think that Blau Dolch/Misericorde+1 Is the best combo for me. I'll try to make more tests with more daggers (like Behemot's Knife+1 or P. Harpe when I get it).

Anyway - I wanted to share it with you guys.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Akama

Not to be an ass, but your damage isn't based off sneak attack alone. I think anyone could have told you blau dolch is a straight up better dagger than harpe easily -,-

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

I know that Sneak Attack is not all my damage - but I wanted to narrow the "SE" factor as much as possible.

Old Merits
    BG Level

When I was in grade school, they told me whenever I drew a graph I should label the axes.

AND THEY SAID IT FOR A REASON

New Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Quote Originally Posted by ½pint
    When I was in grade school, they told me whenever I drew a graph I should label the axes.

AND THEY SAID IT FOR A REASON
    Well - added descriptions. Thought you could figure it out by yourself

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

http://www.bluegartr.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12967

Edit just to add more:

This isn't two years ago, any good thief knows their damage comes from far more than their JA's and WS's. As well, one should also be aware the problems with testing on low level mobs for a 'which is best' comparison. When attack is CAPPED like on those mobs, the +16 attack bonus of Blau is taken out of the comparison, so the testing is already flawed.

DoT > all else, even for thf.

٩๏̯͡๏)۶

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Barthilas

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglestrike
    This isn't two years ago, any good thief knows their damage comes from far more than their JA's and WS's.
    You assume there's more than 5 good thieves across all servers.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Quote Originally Posted by Lordwafik
    Quote Originally Posted by Eaglestrike
    This isn't two years ago, any good thief knows their damage comes from far more than their JA's and WS's.
    You assume there's more than 5 good thieves across all servers.
    And no more than 5 thieves who regularly post on this endgame forum, so my link still works? >.>

Edit; WTF either forum broken or I just turned into a noob and posted in the wrong thread.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Does the fact that I knew exactly what the results would turn out to be once I knew the mob + dagger combos make me one of the 5?

I'll try to help people who are confused or whatever with the test and why it's virtually useless in overall gameplay.

On that mob you have capped attacked so highest dmg dagger will give the most dmg. But also considered is the dex the dagger combo gives you. Simplifing things a bit the dex will almost line up so that 1 point of dex gives you an additional dmg point.

So.... My crystal ball said that offhanding miser+1 with it's dex mods will give the highest dmg dagger the lead and roll down to the next highest.

Not factored is any other mods the respective dagger will have. So blau's acc and attk are worth nothing in this test.

But heh at least you're putting effort in testing things for yourself I guess.

Tom Wilson will never be good.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zero Star
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

I'm leveling THF up and was starting to wonder about what daggers I needed. Opened this thread and WTF ARE YOU STUPID. Waste of time omg, parse some actual DoT and WS on freaken exp mobs Jesus H Christ. Seriously, why did you waste your time parsing SA numbers on Lv1 mobs...

New Merits
    BG Level

Points for testing something yourself instead of regurgitating the same questions that are repeated on KI/Zam/etc. on a weekly basis. I assume you havent run any sort of a parser and this was the best way you knew how to test the dagger combos. So A for effort, but as others have said, this test is virtually useless other than finding your SA cap between the different combos. Even if you were looking to accurately test your SA cap you need to test on something other than a flying mob (piercing+, most people test on ronf rabbits), and eat some sort of basic attack food to completely eliminate the attack/def variable.

You have to realize that as far as NA players go this forum has people who have been playing for several years. In particular, the people who played THF from the beginning have gone through the majority of any applicable testing several times. The THF job used to be in the same boat as the other 3rd tier melees (leveling it as my first job back @ NA release was a grind, no one other than JPs would even consider inviting a thf). Now, especially post dagger patch, its absolutely retarded with someone who knows what they're doing. Bad thieves still suck, the good ones are top tier only behind proper Ridill WAR builds and MNKs that dont KO on every 3rd pull.

You're at least on the right track and trying to test what you use, so good luck. THF has a very wide margin between the tiers of complete ass (90%) / decent(8%) / "How in the hell are you outparsing me" (2%) and it sounds like you're at least trying.

-Vyzrael (Asura)

anyway, yea, blau > both of those...
    but you will get higher SA from harpe from base damage, which is what the guy tested

ps. gilligan never gets off the island

The Tower
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Stromgarde Siren
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Actually, axes is the plural form of axis, so he is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Stromgarde
    Actually, axes is the plural form of axis, so he is correct.
    really? that sounds silly
    i'll go back and edit
    sorry, halfpint, atleast i didn't get your 2yr old bg account banned, that one that took forever to get up to 1kish posts

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Why so many math based derails today

It's pronounced axeez, by the way. Different pronunciation than "I'm dual wielding 2 axes."

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Judai
    I'm leveling THF up and was starting to wonder about what daggers I needed. Opened this thread and WTF ARE YOU STUPID. Waste of time omg, parse some actual DoT and WS on freaken exp mobs Jesus H Christ. Seriously, why did you waste your time parsing SA numbers on Lv1 mobs...
    I think because he thought they would be a consistent subject since he mentions that they are always level 1. Dmg calculations are more complicated than this test is set up to handle though. I don't really get the graph, how are you hitting 50 times on a level 1 hornet. All in all I have to hand it to the guy as he has definitively proven that DEX is tied to Thf damage.

AHA
    oh pronounced...nvm
    too late...to not...hit enter

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Quote Originally Posted by doofy
    You're at least on the right track and trying to test what you use, so good luck. THF has a very wide margin between the tiers of complete ass (90%) / decent(8%) / "How in the hell are you outparsing me" (2%) and it sounds like you're at least trying.

-Vyzrael (Asura)
    2%? You must have extras on your server or something.