Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Dual Wield Nerf? Enlighten me plz

I've seen this mentioned and I just did a search but I can't find anything on it. I wasn't really playing FF when it happened... if it happened..... wtf happened? I'm hopefully gonna get my nin to 75 tonight but I'm totally clueless as to what the dual-wield nerf is.

Sorry for being a total nub, but I just wanna know if I look like a retard wearing my Ninja Chainmail to TP over my Shura Togi, or if getting a Dual-Wield AA earring would be a total waste now. I haven't really played for months and Nin isn't even my main job. {Help me out!}

Black Belt
    BG Level

if your katanas have really low delay, it'll return less TP now than it did before the nerf.

at worse it's somewhere around 1 TP every 2 hits. it's not that big a deal that you have to gear around it.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

Changes were made in the amount of TP you gained based upon youe base weaopn dealy. As such the TP floor exploit was essentially removed. No longer can you use Dual Wield, DW enhancements (like Suppa) to lower your base delay to stupidly low levels while still gaining a minimum 5TP per hit.

That said....it's hardly as bad as the term "Dual Wield Nerf" would make it out to be. High delay weapons now get more TP per swing too. It was an overally adjustment, not a "Dual Wield Nerf" onry.

ah I gotcha.... so if I'm wearing my Shura Togi the extra delay I'll suffer over ninja chainmail will result in more TP, if even minimally?

So do people still use Dual Wield builds? (Suppa, Koga Hakama, Chainmail), or is a higher damage build favored nowadays? Or did it really not change anything?

As far as I am concerned nothing changed for ninja (outside of people not useing u/u katana combo as much), put haste then dual weild in as many slots as you can no?

Black Belt
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Denchi
    so if I'm wearing my Shura Togi the extra delay I'll suffer over ninja chainmail will result in more TP, if even minimally?
    yes

Quote Originally Posted by Denchi
    So do people still use Dual Wield builds? (Suppa, Koga Hakama, Chainmail), or is a higher damage build favored nowadays? Or did it really not change anything?
    i don't know anyone who ever used Hakama in place of Haidate and i don't have Suppa anyway. it still differs from person to person, hard to say which is favored and which isn't.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

The "dual wield nerf" only really applied to NINs and THFs. WARs were pretty much unaffected due to axes having higher base delays than katanas and daggers. WARs never went below the TP floor to begin with, so nothing changed for them.

I use.... Shura Haidate.....

I'll never fucking get Byakko's Haidate lol. I don't play enough to make sky events, and even if I did I could never play enough to warrent lotting over anyone else. I think my last LS was my only chance of getting Haidate, and they kept giving them to Sams and Rng's.

Anyways, me rambling, thanks for the input guys.

Black Belt
    BG Level

i'd say AF2 is going to be better than Shura for TPing, nerf or no nerf.

really, the TP you "lose" by using Dual Wield gear is gained back by the lower delay.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Dual weild gear no longer boosts how much TP you get back. It still affects how fast you attack.

So, if you go with a full dual weild & haste build, the haste part affects how fast you get TP and makes you do more damage, the dual weild part still makes you do more damage.

As far as total damage output goes, dual weild builds still work well. There just isn't a reason to go with u/u over s/f.

Hmm... well mind if I post my gear? I neeeeeeedd ideas/criticism. I'm not a career Nin but I like to play my job the best I can.....even though I hate nin.

Weapons: Senji/Fudo
    Head: Optical Hat/Turban, (Shura Kabuto for WS...sometimes)
    Neck: Chivalrous Chain/Eva Tourque
    Ammo: Bomb Core
    Earring: Minuet Earring/Elusive Earring
    Earring: Triumph Earring/Elusive Earring
    Body: Shura Togi/Ninja Chainmail (SH suxxxx, but I have one)
    Hands: OKote
    Ring: Sniper (Ruby sometimes)
    Ring: Woodsman (Ruby sometimes)
    Back: Amemet +1
    Waist: Warwolf
    Legs: Shura Haidate
    Feet: Fuma Sune Ate

So besides the obvious stuff I need, Byakko's Haidate, Suppa, Brutal Earring. Would you guys make any significant changes? This is obviously my merit gear. I have a whole diff set for eva/tanking, but I don't really have as many issues with that stuff.

TP IN STR?! TP WITH WARWOLF?!

I'm fragile! be gentle!

St. Fiat
    THE TIME FOR QUESTIONS
    HAS PASSED

BG Level

Haste > trait enhancements > acc > atk > str

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

If you don't have a swift belt, at least TP in a life belt lolz

Senj/Unji is pretty good still if you want to pick one of those up.

Hauby for WS is what I use, but I don't have a shura togi. I'd still probably use hauby too.

Get some dusk gloves if you can.

Do you have sea? If so get a Breeze Gorget for ws macro.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Really not alot of reason to offhand a Fudo. Since the Crit % only applies to that hand, it's not going to benefit your WS damage. Unji in offhand, regardless of the TP nerf, will provide better numbers than Fudo. If you don't have a relic Katana I suggest using either Unji/Unsho or Senji/Unji..

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Maybe it depends on your other gear, but Unsho or Unji in off-hand should give you higher weaponskill numbers, but lower a DoT component (non-weaponskill). Fudo gives you a higher DoT component but somewhat lower weaponskill numbers.

The parses I've seen show that S/F > other combos, but I haven't done all combos myself. The difference in your performance between F/F, S/F, S/U, F/U, or U/U are very small now anyway.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Bro Teampill
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Quote Originally Posted by Stellar
    Really not alot of reason to offhand a Fudo. Since the Crit % only applies to that hand, it's not going to benefit your WS damage. Unji in offhand, regardless of the TP nerf, will provide better numbers than Fudo. If you don't have a relic Katana I suggest using either Unji/Unsho or Senji/Unji..
    Uh... is Kikoku so common these days that people actually throw that in a casual gear setup question? Not flaming you, just wondering...

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Kikoku opens up other options, such as possibility of offhanding Senji, just tossed it in for good measure... (and relics are becoming increasingly common these days)

Also, in my tests Senj/Unji has put up higher dot numbers than Senj/Fudo.. The WS numbers will be very slightly higher from the attribute bonus's on the Unji.. but don't discount the DoT increase from a lower delay.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

There isn't a DoT increase from the lower delay. The Damage/Delay ratio for both of the 'U's is lower than for Fudo or unlocked Seiji.

As much as you may have paid for them U/U is no longer a good way to go. The prices just havn't caught up to it yet.