BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Could SE of had their cake an ate it?

I was talking to a friend of mine while driving to work today about Gil Sellers in FFXI. He wondered, from a business perspective, why SE didn’t offer similar services that Gil Sellers are looking set to offer right from the very start of the game. For example, simply being able to buy Gil from SE’s website, buy a 75 Char, Rare/Ex items, etc, etc.
    If they had offered such a service Gil Sellers today might not be a problem and SE would of gain huge profits from it. After all they could accomplish all services with some automated SQL, and wouldn’t actually need anyone to play to game for them.
    Now you might argue “OMG but then SE are no better than the Gil Sellers!” – but you have to try and look at this from a positive perspective, if SE offered the services instead they would be 100% official, money back guarantee, and best of all there would be no Gil Sellers in game monopolising things.
    I’m trying to keep this short as I don’t want to write a wall-o-text with all my thoughts and ideas on this. (I'll try and add more as the discussion goes on.) But how do you think the game would look today if SE had done something like this. (Please no leaking vaginas about how you worked hard for item X and it’s not fair that someone could just buy it.)
    Could it of worked? Would it of actually made the game better? Do you think they might in the future?

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Only if you assumed that RMT wouldn't do what they're doing now and just sell for less. Then they'd have even more of a business, because it'd have to be accepted that people buy gil/characters/items/etc already.

Old Merits
    BG Level

No, because you remove the challenge of the game when you can just buy something. e.g. RMT'ed accounts = fail.

It's like playing poker with friends and sending the card publisher 40 bucks for a 5th ace.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I don't see the point to sell lvl.75 characters tbh.

Regarding the gil selling, that would suck and not change many things: GS would then just stik to trade-able items NMs and sell them online.

Instead of seeing:
    1M gil : 25$

You would see:
    Oshiudo's Kote: 40$

The only good solution is to lauch a pitbull in their office just before a NM pops

Xaru

Quote Originally Posted by Taliesin
    The only good solution is to lauch a pitbull in their office just before a NM pops
    I love it!

Relic Horn
    BG Level

No.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Not really lol...

Look at it this way.... lets do the math

90 Gil sellers per server over 32 Servers = 2880 Accounts

2880 accounts paying around $15.99 a month = $46,051.20 a month

Now lets check that out in a year worth of earnings......

= $552,614.40 a year.... They are making roughly half a million dollars a year off these guys by the sounds of it.

No e-shop
    No extra workers
    No Web designer
    No branding

Sorted.

SE selling gear + gil would only work if they hired their own farmers to farm gil etc.

They can't just make up currency and introduce it into the server economy...it would cause massive inflation.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

lol... I just scared myself then...

how many players do they have paying for this game?

Lets go in kinda low....

580,000 Players paying $15.99 a month

= $9,274,000.00 a month....

111 million a year..... WTF? lol

Not bad for there first Online venture I would say....

Ninja Edit : I am willing to bet there monthly income in around 16mil.

A. Body
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

On carbuncle i've found 185 active Gilsellers which alone makes SE $2,395.75 a month assuming they all own 1 account, I think if they offered a RMT service the numbers would double maybe even quadrouple.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

90 Gil sellers per server over 32 Servers = 2880 Accounts
    lol 90. heres a list (ty LE from FM and anyone who helped) put together last week, they're bound to have missed a bunch too. Go Carby.

1.Kawyo
    2.Kdiw
    3.Ansoute
    4.Criose
    5.Csenges
    6.Doudou
    7.Doujiao
    8.Douya
    9.Douzi
    10.Happypeaks
    11.Jiehsonnk
    12.Myapiapedia
    13.Pomyigem
    14.Nakada
    15.Rorout
    16.Squoare
    17.Tiddade
    18.Tishoping
    19.Ubbacklike
    20.Waxnew
    21.Blackmiss
    22.Zenose
    23.Weiman
    24.Maija
    25.Nakeda
    26.Cover
    27.Gyototo
    28.Curreylk
    29.Juliey
    30.Ferides
    31.Majojo
    32.Mitesbangwe
    33.Yulouka
    34.Edey
    35.Liuray
    36.Arosesa
    37.Dbao
    38.Koomi
    39.Kyurare
    40.Likasha
    41.Lishacat
    42.Lovegirl
    43.Shorun
    44.Warke
    45.Wiando
    46.Yollerbt
    47.Tingpai
    48.Ableone
    49.Baihans
    50.GroggyChaos
    51.Hblackros
    52.Namats
    53.Pandha
    54.Tumogyavugya
    55.Vaticnsde
    56.Xiaish
    57.Allusbude
    58.Blackfoxs
    59.Callens
    60.Heihien
    61.Pinth
    62.Sequoias
    63.Shinspltan
    64.Toumingod
    65.Kelly
    66.Sunyentzu
    67.Kurei
    68.Aeoelory
    69.Andhand
    70.Bloodsky
    71.Blacksea
    72.Byinlochin
    73.Carreds
    74.Chiakis
    75.Chitsagi
    76.Crazywar
    77.Dawiwes
    78.Fearsomere
    79.Nonames
    80.Queenkiselend
    81.Only
    82.Bopopo
    83.Bupaby
    84.Hyomhiye
    85.Dongmoon
    86.Drodant
    87.Ephece
    88.Dubriley
    89.Kupbesk
    90.Likibiki
    91.Thickwild
    92.Vyozinzzin
    93.Zenlaina
    94.Tosiike
    95.Vayooherry
    96.Daiwes
    97.Vilan
    98.Tadomyosf
    99.Redenus
    100.Delicies
    101.Truned
    102.Shuhdamady
    103.Elusivestars
    104.Taremery
    105.Myumummu
    106.Jimos
    107.Ryokiroki
    108.Sapaper
    109.Mackhave
    110.Zenas
    111.Bipepipe
    112.Jeann
    113.Whicip
    114.Kamio
    115.Keeperkeeper
    116.Jarenn
    117.Jtartcary
    118.Porotoyo
    119.Sportuary
    120.Uvsehger
    121.Vaaazor
    122.Filena
    123.Kooriss
    124.Uyesturi
    125.Keichi
    126.Hodounni
    127.Dayihu
    128.Suasu
    129.Alobo
    130.Zumaygi
    131.Doluku
    132.Nanceyni
    133.Goif
    134.Daikin
    135.Lirha
    136.Rarj
    137.Gattyan
    138.Leoneka
    139.Blacklucy
    140.Carlis
    141.Xunjky
    142.Xijkud
    143.Ndhein
    144.Lebse
    145.Andrew
    146.Bettyboy
    147.Kukuya
    148.Kaludy
    149.Quee
    150.Wangtian
    151.Wantian
    152.Weiwei
    153.Kettyale
    154.Jakee
    155.BaoBaomao
    156.Babalo
    157.Fryue
    158.Kaver
    159.Marye
    160.Muhua
    161.Paalu
    162.Puyaya
    163.Riribi
    164.Cacamo
    165.Haneken
    166.Goodboy
    167.Toming
    168.markbtty
    169.Opmaysnny
    170.Lovemeg
    171.Vyshi
    172.Cyzeter
    173.Qypzter
    174.Mazida
    175.Parebhty
    176.Malsee
    177.Niohayoha
    178.Soruporu
    179.Amini
    180.Bylm
    181.Cawayi
    182.Yurija
    183.Eyecat
    184.Nancymen
    185.Shinjo

edit: LE posted above me as I made this post. doh!!

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Lordender
    On carbuncle i've found 185 active Gilsellers which alone makes SE $2,395.75 a month assuming they all own 1 account, I think if they offered a RMT service the numbers would double maybe even quadrouple.
    Yea, mine is just a rough idea of whats going on lol...

150 Gil Sellers per server is prolly around about thr right mark...

$76,752.00 a month

$921,024.00 a year.

Asura has over twice that amount easily...is sad really

A. Body
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Until a new MMO coming out that will start stealing SE's buisness in large amounts I really don't see a decline in RMT on FFXI unless they get banned for POS'ing or lolspecialtaskforce being real.

Saint Daahan Von Quitter the 1st
    Patron of Yin

BG Level

Wouldn't work.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but IGE and other game currency-selling websites existed before FFXI right?

When FFXI came out it was a basically a new way for them to rake in profits.

Even if SE had decided to sell its own gil, as mentioned before in this thread, the gil-selling companies would just sell it for less (and according to Christmas sales for IGE, when they sell gil for less they get A FUCKTON of business).

I don't think SE would lower the price to compete with the gilselling companies that much either. Having a whole division to sell gil involves a lot of manpower; something that SE probably doesn't have the resources for just for this game.

Xavier

This is what Ultima Online eventually ended up doing to make money.

29.99 could buy you almost anything. (Character server transfers, advanced characters, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Lordender
    Until a new MMO coming out that will start stealing SE's buisness in large amounts I really don't see a decline in RMT on FFXI unless they get banned for POS'ing or lolspecialtaskforce being real.
    Do you know that over 1 billion people live in China? They don't shift people, they just fill in the holes with new ones.

OMG Is it a shock if I say RMT is counter-productive to SE financially!!! Actually I really do think it is. SE could just sell gil as a legitimate service and compete against RMT. But the problem with that is alot of idiots who bought gil in the past lvled fast and tend to disappear on and off the game. There are alot of players who have quite and come back. But if you can buy (and have the cash to shit away) like $500, how much gil can that buy?

Any job you do you can lvl up asap and pay off ppl to help and buy the friggin airship pass lmao! It argueable whether players would loose interest because the game would seem boring or stupid. So gil, like the developers intended, does force a sort of "slow-down" that ensures players won't be able to go through things fast thereby reducing the risk they perma leave out of loss interest.

But if SE ever will sell gil itself, this game will come close to Star Wars Galaxy and you can expect a huge shitload of players to eventually quit not because of the gil itself, but because a whole generation of morons begin to play and level up faster and no one wants to feel like every party is a Valkurm Dunes party BS and crap like that makes players leave just because they are pissed

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

EDIT: Ok not everyone, because like 5 people replied while I wrote this. lol
    Wow way to completely miss the point everyone. They wouldn't heir people to play the game because they could achieve all of the same services offered by any RMT with a bit of SQL.
    Inflation caused by too much currency in the system, can easily be combated by... taking money out of the system! O: (Who'd of guessed.)
    I'm not disputing the fact that a buying an account / item / w/e sucks, and isn't as good as getting it yourself. SE really doesn't care about this. What I am saying is that from a business point of view, they *could* offer these services and get ALOT of money from it. Someone worked out that SE gains X amount of money from all those accounts, well IGE has to pay for all of those... and so must be making ATLEAST at much to cover the cost of all the accounts, and a worthwhile amount of profit on top. It's clearly very lucrative. SE could of had all that money if they had realised how much it would be.
    Someone else said you would still have Gil Sellers and they would just undercut SE. This might be true, but I think people would rather buy a service from SE than some 3rd party. In addition to this, SE would be massively more proactive in removing Gil sellers as it would be having a much more direct effect on their profits.

Saint Daahan Von Quitter the 1st
    Patron of Yin

BG Level

Inflation caused by too much currency in the system, can easily be combated by... taking money out of the system!
    Handing over the gilselling aspect of the game to SE would not fix inflation. In the context of inflation, there is no difference between SE selling gil and gilsellers selling gil. Even if you made an ideal world where SE would be the only ones selling gil, people who don't want to make gil legitimately would continue to buy and buy from just SE, therefore causing inflation.

This might be true, but I think people would rather buy a service from SE than some 3rd party.
    Most definetly not true. Although IGE and other gilselling companies are 3rd party, they are still in business. What does that say? It says that people are continuing to buy from them, and therefore they view their transactions with the company as legimate.

If SE sold gil at a certain price, and a 3rd party company sold gil cheaper, people wouldn't refrain from purchasing gil from the 3rd party company just because they are "3rd party." The gil would be cheaper, and therfore they'd buy it from the third party company.