+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

His logic is not even flawed, its an opinionated rebuttal. He does not want stupid bullshit on his television because he does not enjoy it.

Television is fucking horrendous anyways, I don't watch it, if there is something I want to see, dvd boxset = <3.

However people like Sensoka are shit out of luck, because there are alot more people that wish to enjoy movies, but would rather do without the vulgarity. It will always be this way. When more people want a certain thing, then _YOU_ have to supply accomodations for yourself.

I just don't agree with parents putting blame on media for ruining thier child's mind, you fucked up by allowing the exposition.

It's called democracy, suck it the fuck up.

Clearly attributing a picture with a canned response including the wrong use of "Your" adds to credibility.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Quote Originally Posted by Lawls
    Clearly attributing a picture with a canned response including the wrong use of "Your" adds to credibility.
    why havnt you been banned yet?

Quote Originally Posted by senoska
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawls
    why havnt you been banned yet?
    http://images.amazon.com/images/P/08...1.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

The Once and Future Wamoura
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

PUTTING THAT BOOK ON MY AMAZON WISHLIST RIGHT NOW

Kids' TV these days is rubbish generally - mainly because the average child's attention span these days is somewhere between short to none-existent. Hell I know at work (I teach 6-8 year olds at the moment) if it doesn't have flashing lights and an incentive for them to sit up and actually listen to what the teacher's saying - they won't bother. Same with the TV - if it doesn't have a million jokes about bottoms, farting, allusions to rude words that cut out JUST before the rude bit... they're not interested. The days of plot and things actually happening in among the farting are long gone.

As for censorship - it's hard because kids do copy so much of what they see, which is the logic behind it, and I know in the UK we have a 9pm watershed where things are more highly censored before it. But we also had crap over here recently where Tom and Jerry was censored because of a scene where Tom was smoking a cigarette. That's BS because I'd argue that 90% of the kids who do pick up smoking do so because of peer pressure / seeing parents smoke rather than because Tom smoked a cigarette in Tom and Jerry once.

There's also the mentality that a lot of parents have that they expect you to bring up their child for them, or make things so ring-fenced and safe that they don't have to pay any attention at all and their child will miraculously appear at 18 years old one day with perfect teeth and hair and a full set of academic qualifications. These are the ones who have a TV in their kid's bedroom at the age of 4, and use the freaking Disney channel as a babysitter from birth. They're the ones who come into school and ask YOU to make their kids go to bed at night or stop wetting the bed (like duh no, I can do Reading, Writing, Maths, History etc... bringing the child up is your job at the end of the day) We get kids coming into schools in the UK who speak with perfect American accents from being shoved in front of cruddy imported cartoons from morning till night since birth - and it's not exactly a small number that come in like that.

Personally I'm anti-censorship in a big way (coming from a family of journalists tends to make you very into freedom of speech) but at the same time, I'm also against profanity purely for the sake of it - where people are just saying "f**k" for the sake of using a rude word, because more than anything else it just sounds fricken stupid like that and it desensitizes things used in more appropriate contexts.

(If none of this makes sense - I'm on half term break and only just woke up and haven't been suitably coffee-ed yet).

Saint Daahan Von Quitter the 1st
    Patron of Yin

BG Level

As long as they keep The Three Stooges, Tom and Jerry, House, Monk, Everybody Loves Raymond, The Colbert Report, The Daily Show, Family Guy, Robot Chicken, and 60 Minutes on T.V., I'll be A-OK.

Although it's extremely difficult to catch Tom and Jerry on T.V. these days

Ridill
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Daahan
    As long as they keep The Three Stooges, Tom and Jerry, House, Monk, Everybody Loves Raymond, The Colbert Report, The Daily Show, Family Guy, Robot Chicken, and 60 Minutes on T.V., I'll be A-OK.

I think you watch too much tv lol

colbert, south park, daily show, when I catch em. oh yeah and football heh

Saint Daahan Von Quitter the 1st
    Patron of Yin

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Plow
    Quote Originally Posted by Daahan

I think you watch too much tv lol

colbert, south park, daily show, when I catch em. oh yeah and football heh
    All of those are once a week things except Colbert Report and Daily Show, which I'm sure many people watch to get some enjoyment before they go to sleep.

I watch very little T.V. compared to other people.

Physicist
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raineer Severus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Being politcally correct is a serious issue among politicians
    The reason why america sucks lol, the day politicans mean a damn to our morals

Soccer moms go fight TV stations to get Beavis and Butthead off the air in order to tell themselves they are good parents. There is one (and only one) way to be a good parent, and that's to be involved with your child. I was exposed to more crazy shit by my dad by age 16 than most adults see by the time they are 60, but it didn't matter because my dad was always there to put everything in context and explain how the world works along the way.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by elphaba
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_correctness

"Political correctness (also politically correct or PC) is a term used to describe language, or behavior, which is claimed to be calculated to provide a minimum of offense, particularly to the racial, cultural, or other identity groups being described. The concept is not exclusive to the English language. A text that conforms to the ideals of political correctness is said to be politically correct."

<snip>
    Thank you. The term "political correctness" is probably one of the most misused terms today. Political correctness itself is not a bad thing, for example not calling gay people fags is a nice thing. It gets bad when people go overboard with "acceptable" phrases and when people try to link it with censorship or other authoritarian ideas.

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

If you want to talk about PC gone overboard, bring up something more...pertinent than swearing on TV.

Let me get you started:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niggardly

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_buffalo_incident

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tar_baby

This thread was dumb until "Punctuation takes a Vacation."

Then any mention of the Colbert Report...

Then it started reminding me of in The Royal Tenenbaums (sp?) when Royal call's (Danny Glover) Coltraine...

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Demetrick
    Then it started reminding me of in The Royal Tenenbaums (sp?) when Royal call's (Danny Glover) Coltraine...
    I think I heard that there was a deleted scene where Glover is actually listening to John Coltraine, and Hackman comments on it, but they realized it's much more awesome for Hackman to later call him Coltraine out of the blue, in some kind of obscure racial slam.

Quote Originally Posted by archibaldcrane
    Quote Originally Posted by Demetrick
    I think I heard that there was a deleted scene where Glover is actually listening to John Coltraine, and Hackman comments on it, but they realized it's much more awesome for Hackman to later call him Coltraine out of the blue, in some kind of obscure racial slam.
    o.O I should watch those over. It's the only movie I've watched with commentary on and it was pretty hilarious and insightful

Ya, had I seen it before it would have been different. But regardless it was pretty racist, albeit funny.