Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: TOS change     submit to reddit submit to twitter

TOS change

Calling all great legal minds. Am I wrong, or does this mean they now monitor processes? i.e. windower

Updated 10/24/2006
    https://secure.playonline.com/supportus ... ember.html

Limitation of Liability.

(a) You acknowledge that SEI has the right to monitor the use of your PlayOnline account to verify your compliance with the terms and conditions of this Agreement. You further acknowledge that, in the event that SEI suspects that you may not be in compliance with any of the terms of this Agreement, SEI may use any method permitted by applicable law to verify your compliance. If SEI believes (in its sole discretion) that you are not in compliance with any of the terms of this Agreement, SEI may, in addition to any other remedy available to SEI, immediately suspend or terminate your PlayOnline user account without any prior notice to you, and you hereby agree that such decision by SEI is final.

Glad i'm still on ps2 some times.....

But jees windower? isn't that the final blow. I know a lot of people from an LS on seraph just recently got banned for "Windower" lol flee tool.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by Nikopiko
    Glad i'm still on ps2 some times.....

But jees windower? isn't that the final blow. I know a lot of people from an LS on seraph just recently got banned for "Windower" lol flee tool.
    gtfo Niko
    /wave

Hot.

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Re: TOS change

Quote Originally Posted by Darkblood
    Limitation of Liability.

(a) You acknowledge that SEI has the right to monitor the use of your PlayOnline account to verify your compliance with the terms and conditions of this Agreement. You further acknowledge that, in the event that SEI suspects that you may not be in compliance with any of the terms of this Agreement, SEI may use any method permitted by applicable law to verify your compliance. If SEI believes (in its sole discretion) that you are not in compliance with any of the terms of this Agreement, SEI may, in addition to any other remedy available to SEI, immediately suspend or terminate your PlayOnline user account without any prior notice to you, and you hereby agree that such decision by SEI is final.
    Unless that's shady wording, sounds to me like they can check whos been logging in from what acct, not spy on your entire PC.

It does seem conveniently vague.

There's a new process that runs when you load up pol.exe, it's called startpol.exe, and maybe it's in place to monitor additional processes/hooks(windower) in place, or it's got something a little bit better for people to stop whining when they download a program that can either break the password encryption, or a keylogger, or whatever.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Mio Hime
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

what nynja said. this looks like they can track anything related to and from your ffxi account, nothing to do with your PC or processes.

edit; monitoring processes is no joke, they have tp explicitly state that, if they were to plan on doing it. it would be a huge privacy issue if it was as vague as this update sounded and that was their intention.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

(a) You acknowledge that SEI has the right to monitor the use of your PlayOnline account to verify your compliance with the terms and conditions of this Agreement.
    Nynja reads it the same as I do. Looks to me like they now intend to see who is logging on to the account, where they're doing it from, what they're doing, and how long they're on.

Sure sounds like that would go nicely with the hinted at RMT Ninja Assault Squad SE is deploying. See who's doing what for how long, analyze the database dumps, kill the RMT.

If they wanted to check processes on your system you'd have to agree to that explicitly. As in "we reserve the right to monitor specific processes running on player's computers to ensure no thrid party tools are active."

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Darkblood
    It does seem conveniently vague.
    The vagueness of a contract is deliberately written so whoever has better lawyers (i.e. more money) wins.

>The Implying
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Jeryhn Astracrown
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Also sounds to me that they're checking who is logging into your account rather than monitoring processes.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by TsingTao
    Nynja reads it the same as I do. Looks to me like they now intend to see who is logging on to the account, where they're doing it from, what they're doing, and how long they're on.
    Agreed. I think this is either to catch people with accounts that are actually active 24/7/365, or to find out "hey, why do we have 2,000 connections to the game servers from nat.ige.com?"

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by phlux
    Quote Originally Posted by TsingTao
    Agreed. I think this is either to catch people with accounts that are actually active 24/7/365, or to find out "hey, why do we have 2,000 connections to the game servers from nat.ige.com?"
    "Oh that must be Natasha. No way they are RMT"

Also Firas
    BG Level

i'm still going to use windower whether they can track it down or not.

Isn't this alot of work for SE employees? tracking/supervising Accounts/characters? Maybe it exists in the TOS but they don't really go around looking at what people are camping/selling/sending/talking to, you know just scaring players so they don't violate the agreement.

A. Body
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

I don't think this will even stop rmt just because in order to stop them you need to know who the RMT are and the last time i reported RMT like 2 weeks ago the GM refused to even log in game to come see them exping in an allaince in easter atlep desert.

What if 2 people share accounts from different locations? :3

Quote Originally Posted by Firas_Gattz
    Isn't this alot of work for SE employees?
    I'm sure they found some efficient way to do it. This is probably focused completely on RMT. It sounds like this is something SE is doing very very right to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lordender
    I don't think this will even stop rmt just because in order to stop them you need to know who the RMT are and the last time i reported RMT like 2 weeks ago the GM refused to even log in game to come see them exping in an allaince in easter atlep desert.
    Are you retarded?

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

With the rash of stolen accounts they might also be looking at how to cut down on support hassles. Being able to easily log a change in where an account was accessed from would let them restore stolen accounts easily. No more endless hours of whiny game players harassing the staff.

On the flip side it would also let SE rather easily spot Ebay'd accounts.

Edit:
    Isn't this alot of work for SE employees?
    The heart of the game is just a bunch of databases. It's not hard to replicate the relevant data off to a different farm and chew it up at your leisure.

Laeta

because watching a bunch of gimp retards casting spells on dhalmel and dying is just the most productive use of the GMs time

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nikko Toska
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry
    FFXI Server
    Titan

I read it as giving the GMs more power, even if they can't prove someone is doing something wrong. I hope this is the legalese they needed to be harsher on who they believe to be gilsellers without running into legal issues.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast