Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by aurik
    I didn't have sleepga2 until 72 or so. That was like a month ago.
    /disgusted

Quote Originally Posted by Shuemue
    /disgusted
    I still only have 3 AMs. And my rings are made of win.

Spiders are Awesome
    BG Level

Pluto's > Jupiter's Aquilo's etc...

All the damage in the world is useless if you can't fucking land sleep consistently.

Tom Wilson will never be good.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zero Star
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

I have no pluto's and I rarely miss a sleep, so no Pluto's is not a must have for BLMs. Maybe I'm one of the only BLMs who decided 3 enfeebling merits were a good idea. Maybe that's why I watch all those BLM run from pudding cause they missed a grav and cant bind or sleep. So thanks for the tip on failing at BLM and needing a HQ stave to be the perfect one. Thought the game was about skill, lol. I'll quit tho, just cause you told me too. (^^)b

What do I know about Dyna tho, I only run a Dyna LS..

You do need a Pluto's staff to be a perfect BLM, I think youll have a hard time arguing any point that is in contention with that.

I have 4 enfeebling merits and a Pluto's along with all the other normal BLM enfeebling gear, and Dyna-Xarc mobs still resist sleep with reasonable consistancy. That is, they dont often resist, but they certainly resist enough to be noticable.

Like the other guy said, a resisted nuke is unimportant, a resisted sleep is life and death.

Quote Originally Posted by Judai
    I have no pluto's and I rarely miss a sleep, so no Pluto's is not a must have for BLMs. Maybe I'm one of the only BLMs who decided 3 enfeebling merits were a good idea. Maybe that's why I watch all those BLM run from pudding cause they missed a grav and cant bind or sleep. So thanks for the tip on failing at BLM and needing a HQ stave to be the perfect one. Thought the game was about skill, lol. I'll quit tho, just cause you told me too. (^^)b

What do I know about Dyna tho, I only run a Dyna LS.. :roll:
    Having been the primary sleeper in dynamis twice a week for the past year, I would be very surprised if you can claim 95% sleep potency in dyna-xarc. Sure, puddings sleep like nothing. Sure, I can control every mob in city dynamises without backup. Hell, I've got probably 80-90% potency in the glacier. So yes, pumping enfeebling skill works wonders.

But my enfeebling skill+48 + anrin obi + plutos only gives me 75-80% potency in dyna-xarc, and I don't think 3 merits are gonna help me much there when I see rdms get resists. I assume you have all of the HQ pieces plus an altruistic cape and then 3 merits on top of that? If you can show me your enfeebling skill at 292 and then post a pic of you sleeping one of the inevitable 10-mob links without ES and without resists, all while using a dark staff, then maybe I'll merit enfeebling too.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zero Star
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Considering in Xarc my RDMs seem handle most of the sleeping just fine. Only time BLM jump in is when we pull the entire wall, then it's just everyone spamming sleepga 1/2. I do fine without a Pluto's tyvm. (^^)b

Nah, no Sea cape, no enfeebling earring, no Pluto's, don't have HQ lappa. Also, don;t rely on one person to sleep, it's called team effort. When you got everyone working togeter, it helps. I didn't say I land every sleep, just that all Hq gear doesn;t make you the perfect BLM or mean you should quit. This coming from a BLM with full HQ staves other then Pluto's, a Genie Weskit and wtfever else I got. Sometimes skill and working as a team is just a hell of a lot better.

Considering in Xarc my RDMs seem handle most of the sleeping just fine. Only time BLM jump in is when we pull the entire wall, then it's just everyone spamming sleepga 1/2. I do fine without a Pluto's tyvm. (^^)b
    Your 3 enfeebling merits sure help there just because you personally are gimped doesn't mean your dynamis shell is.

I do fine without a Pluto's tyvm. (^^)b
    and

So thanks for the tip on failing at BLM and needing a HQ stave to be the perfect one. Thought the game was about skill, lol.
    are two completely different things.

Sure, you can be "adequate" without a pluto. You NEED a pluto to be "perfect", or anything resembling it. Its kinda like money, the people who say its not about gear, dont have it. You need skill AND gear to be the best you can be in this game.

I really laughed when you said you do fine sleeping in Dynamis, and then proceeded to tell us that the REASON you do fine sleeping in dynamis, is because your rdms do the sleeping, or everyone in the ls spams sleep together. So what you are really saying is you DONT do fine sleeping in dynamis, but your linkshell does fine at carrying your dark staff in dynamis.

I have an idea: sell your genie weskit and buy a pluto staff, epeen aside it will make you a better BLM :/

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zero Star
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

i ninja edited >.>

Trust me, I have the gear I want and the gil. Just having all my jobs maxed out is a little rough sometimes :D Calling me gimp was funny tho, Aurik.

cept nobody buys Genie's anymore and no real market value for it. Plus it's from a friend and kinda keepsake. Oh yea, I do most the sleeping btw on the wall. It's a team effort tho, guess we suck tho or something.

Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Shuemue
    /disgusted
    I still only have 3 AMs. And my rings are made of win.
    At least you finally upgraded your pants

Fudge aroud it all you want dude, a BLM or RDM without a Pluto's is pretty fucking gimp in my eyes.

You cant have it both ways dude, you said yourself you dont have sea cape or earring, you have only 3 enfeebling merits, and you have no plutos. I have 5 enfeebling magic more than you, AND a pluto, and I dont have as good a sleep landing rate in dyna-xarc as I would like to, not by a long shot.

It is a team effort, but just for examples sake, lets say all of your BLMs go into dynamis-xarc completely naked. According to you, because its a TEAM effort, it doesnt matter that each individual is gimp, because you cover each other because its a TEAM effort, right?

What about when the rest of the BLMs go down and you are the sole remaining sleeper, needing to land a sleepga2 to save from a wipe?

Like I said, sure, you can be "adequate" without a pluto, but you are not the best BLM you can be by a longshot.

Sometimes skill and working as a team is just a hell of a lot better.
    I agree. Teamwork makes everyone's job easier.

I do fine without a Pluto's tyvm.
    I have no doubt that you do.

This statement, however:
    I have no pluto's and I rarely miss a sleep
    is what everyone is taking issue with. Merits will compensate for lack of enfeebling gear, absolutely. And through that you can sleep the majority of the mobs in the game. This is not true, however, with the true tests of the job, which would be, as we've mentioned, dyna-xarc. I'd actually be very interested in hearing if someone managed to get 95% sleep potency on blm in dyna-xarc; however my guess is that similar to enfeebling sky gods, there's a cap that can't be exceeded by stacking gear, and you have to take your lumps.

Also, try getting a competent blm or 2 as your primary sleepers in dynamis sometime. All of a sudden your rdms are freed up to spam stun on nins & mnks, enfeeble pets, do backup healing, etc etc. All at the cost of 1 blm who can still nuke statues.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zero Star
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Quote Originally Posted by shieldsofwindurst
    Also, try getting a competent blm or 2 as your primary sleepers in dynamis sometime. All of a sudden your rdms are freed up to spam stun on nins & mnks, enfeeble pets, do backup healing, etc etc. All at the cost of 1 blm who can still nuke statues.
    How about BLMs stun MNKs and NINs AND nuke. WHMs heal like they should and can. BLMs help sleep if needed, usually it's not needed tho.

I didn't say I land 95%, I don't even have a parser so idk wtf I do. Just saying I seem to do pretty well with my "gimp" gear. What do you do when your 1-2 "reliable" BLMs go down, same as we do when 1-2 of our reliable RDMs go down. To each their own, our way works fine and I'm sure your does too.

My BLM may not have every single piece of gear but it is far from gimp. Think what you will, HQ gear isn't everything.

edit: btw, my ls is rdm heavy and blm light, dunno if that changes things

HQ staves arent the same as other HQ gear.

Take for example, your Genie Weskit.
    It gives you a grand total of ONE elemental skill, ONE MAB, and change in defense. Thats it.

HQ staves give 5 PERCENT more damage, and a similar boost to spell accuracy. Whatever else you have, you will be around 5% better overall in almost every offensive spell you cast with a HQ compared to an NQ.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zero Star
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Never said my Genie was amazing, just put it down. If I could sell it I prolly would. It's just more of a keepsake like I said. I didn't buy it and didn't even spend anything on it, synthed on first try. So let's not add that in like I made a mistake buying it or something, lol.

I was using your genie weskit as a relevent example of a usual piece of HQ gear, as compared with the unusual strength of a HQ staff. The Genie Weskit is one example of the usual trend in which the HQ is just barely a step up from its NQ, and I happened to think of it because we were just talking about it.

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zero Star
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Genie's are definately one of the weaker HQs

How about BLMs stun MNKs and NINs AND nuke. WHMs heal like they should and can. BLMs help sleep if needed, usually it's not needed tho.
    As you say, to each their own, and as long as your LS is successful then I wish you the best of luck. My point is that by assigning a blm to sleep duty you lose 50% of what 1 person does and gain a whole lot more through what All your rdms now have time to do. Again, do what works for you, but this is just something we've done which seems to help us get to that next level. Maybe not the level of wafik's LS, but when you always get compliments from new people on their first run with you you're doing something right.

I didn't say I land 95%
    Then you should say what you mean. You know where you are, this is BG, the home of the absolute. Either something is the best or it's not; if it is, you gotta prove it, and if you're wrong, people jump down your throat for it.

Just saying I seem to do pretty well with my "gimp" gear.
    Actually, I don't care about your gear. I also won't call anyone that leads a successful dynamis LS gimp. That said, people here will, and you should know that sweeping generalizations are going to be picked apart.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

I'm not even a BLM, but I just fail to see how if you can be 5% better in pretty much all aspects of your job, you would say "nah, I like being average"

As a NIN main I could go into stuff about 5% damage and all that, but it would be like talking to a wall, so I'll say this:

I'm am permanently poor funding my relic, it's a fact of life, buying tools / food has reverted back to what it was like leveling up NIN. However if I could add 5% potency to blind / para / slow, even just one of those, you can bet your ass I'd be selling off some currency.

Do you not realize how big 5% can be in a game where 0.1% can mean life or death?