+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Metal Gear Storyline     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Saint Daahan Von Quitter the 1st
    Patron of Yin

BG Level

Metal Gear Storyline

So I finally got around to beating Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater yesterday. I got the game when it came out, just never really sat down to play it until these past few weeks.

If you haven't played the game yet and intend to, there are spoilers beyond this point. You have been warned.

Anyway, I have a couple questions about how the storyline ties together with itself and other Metal Gear games. I haven't played the Nintendo or Super Nintendo Metal Gear games, so I know I'll be in the blue about those aspects of the story.

1) Is Sigint the DARPA Chief is MGS1? At the end of MGS3 it says something along the lines of him starting the ARPA branch of the military.

2) Does Para-medic have any signifiance in MGS1 or MGS2, or is she MGS3 exclusive?

3) Someone please explain to me Ocelot's phone conversation at the end because I had no idea what the hell he was talking about, other than him being ADAM and a triple agent, but I still don't understand what that meant.

4) Ocelot mentions something about EVA having a fake copy of the Philosopher's Legacy. So does that mean Snake had the original and got all the money?

5) What happens to Sokolov? The last time you see him in the game is when Volgin shoots him in the knees and you don't see him again after that.

6) Did Big Boss betray America because he was pissed that America screwed The Boss over and completely robbed her of respect and recognition?

Also, what's the brief overview of the pre-Playstation MGS games?

EDIT:
    7) In MGS2, they mention that the Patriots died in the 1800's or something like that. But in this game, which takes place in the 1960's, they say that the Philosophers in the U.S. become The Patriots. This confused me too, explanation anyone?

Yoshi P
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Gorefiend

I've never played MGS but I bet you can find a ton of info about it on wiki!

Patron of Yin

BG Level

Good idea, it'll probably give me a good background story of all the games tied together, but I don't think it would get as specific as I want.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Kujata

don't bother trying to put together pre-PS and post PS games. they are constantly retconning the story/characters.

We'll find out why (maybe) Big Boss betrays the US in the upcoming MGS: Portable Ops

Re: Metal Gear Storyline

Game FAQs should have a series of Plot Summaries for the entire series. Though not definitive or 100% accurate they are a good amalgam of ideas/research and whatnot, you might want to try there.

MGS fansites should more than likely also have FAQs/Guides etc regarding the plots.

Quote Originally Posted by Daahan
    5) What happens to Sokolov? The last time you see him in the game is when Volgin shoots him in the knees and you don't see him again after that.
    I'll answer the one I know... Spoilers below, obviously.

5) Sokolov gets killed by Volgan after Snake gets captured. It's while you're tied up and you're blind folded.

I haven't played MGS1, so I can't really comment on the questions involving it.

Edit: Oops, missed a couple.

4) Ocelot mentions something about EVA having a fake copy of the Philosopher's Legacy. So does that mean Snake had the original and got all the money?
    I think that Russia got half the money and the Patriots got the other half.

3) Someone please explain to me Ocelot's phone conversation at the end because I had no idea what the hell he was talking about, other than him being ADAM and a triple agent, but I still don't understand what that meant.
    From what I remember, he was pretending to be Russian, but was actually American and working for the Patriots to revive them. He was working for Kruschev (mangled spelling) behing Volgan's back and working for the Patriots behind all of their backs.

The money they gained from the legacy allowed them to revive the patriots. I'm not exactly sure what that means though, as the patriots were apparently already dead in MGS2, despite them running things.

2) Does Para-medic have any signifiance in MGS1 or MGS2, or is she MGS3 exclusive?
    I don't know if she's in MGS1, but she's not in MGS2.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Ocelot is The Boss's son!

Go check GameFAQs, they have some good plot analysis there.

Drunken Red Mage
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Auspice Lasserott
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

EDIT:
    7) In MGS2, they mention that the Patriots died in the 1800's or something like that. But in this game, which takes place in the 1960's, they say that the Philosophers in the U.S. become The Patriots. This confused me too, explanation anyone?
    Since most of the others were answered and this one has a funny answer, I'll reply.

The list of the Patriots you get in MGS2 are names of actual American patriots from the Revolutionary War era, hence why they all died in the 1800s(READ: Snake got owned).

Patron of Yin

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Auspice
    EDIT:
    Since most of the others were answered and this one has a funny answer, I'll reply.

The list of the Patriots you get in MGS2 are names of actual American patriots from the Revolutionary War era, hence why they all died in the 1800s(READ: Snake got owned).
    really? that makes sense I guess, lol

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Ocelot always has a conversation like that at the end of Metal Gear solid games. He's a pretty sneaky guy.

Ocelot was a "triple agent". He was working for the CIA, the Philosophers, and the KGB. The people in the CIA he was working for were working for the US branch of the Philosophers, so he was talking to the CIA / Philosophers.

He was the person Snake was originally supposed to meet up with, ADAM.

Eve was the agent of the Chinese Philosophers, sent to recover the money, and only made herself known to Snake because she had intel on ADAM showing up, and he never did.

When Ocelot / ADAM does show up, he sees the bike and starts shit.

There's alot of double / triple-crossing in the game you gotta pay close attention too, it's very easy to miss.

At the very end, when The Boss nods to EVA, and sends her off, there was a ( surprise ) triple switcheroo with the Legacy. Snake has the real thing in the end.

And... the reason Snake / Big Boss "betrays" America is because; all throughout the game, whenever Snake and the Boss talk, the Boss is always talking about being a soldier, and having no politics or allegiance. Allies and enemies constantly change during the course of time, it is not a soldiers decision on who the enemy is, but only to follow his orders.

Snake is upset that the Boss had to die as a traitor, when she was really sent in by the CIA to retrieve the Legacy, and since Volgin launched the nuke, and Snake was sent in, Snake had to come out alive and the Boss had to die as a traitor, not a patriot.

Snake realized how foul governments are and decided to make his own country ( this is MG1 + 2 ), that were children and clones bred to be mercenaries, sold to the highest bidder. Soldiers with no allegiance in a constant state of war. The ultimate soldiers never affected directly by politics and government.

That's all I can remember for now. Hope that helps.

Patron of Yin

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Viktor Vaughn
    Ocelot was a "triple agent". He was working for the CIA, the Philosophers, and the KGB. The people in the CIA he was working for were working for the US branch of the Philosophers, so he was talking to the CIA / Philosophers.

He was the person Snake was originally supposed to meet up with, ADAM.

Eve was the agent of the Chinese Philosophers, sent to recover the money, and only made herself known to Snake because she had intel on ADAM showing up, and he never did.

When Ocelot / ADAM does show up, he sees the bike and starts shit.

There's alot of double / triple-crossing in the game you gotta pay close attention too, it's very easy to miss.

At the very end, when The Boss nods to EVA, and sends her off, there was a ( surprise ) triple switcheroo with the Legacy. Snake has the real thing in the end.

And... the reason Snake / Big Boss "betrays" America is because; all throughout the game, whenever Snake and the Boss talk, the Boss is always talking about being a soldier, and having no politics or allegiance. Allies and enemies constantly change during the course of time, it is not a soldiers decision on who the enemy is, but only to follow his orders.

Snake is upset that the Boss had to die as a traitor, when she was really sent in by the CIA to retrieve the Legacy, and since Volgin launched the nuke, and Snake was sent in, Snake had to come out alive and the Boss had to die as a traitor, not a patriot.

Snake realized how foul governments are and decided to make his own country ( this is MG1 + 2 ), that were children and clones bred to be mercenaries, sold to the highest bidder. Soldiers with no allegiance in a constant state of war. The ultimate soldiers never affected directly by politics and government.

That's all I can remember for now. Hope that helps.
    This stuff I already knew because it's mostly said in the game, thanks for the effort though

Anyway, I looked up Gamefaqs and there are long, in-depth plot analyses there, so thanks for that tip.

I like how Ocelot is The Boss's son.