+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Gambit Thread     submit to reddit submit to twitter

something I have found EXTREMELY useful is having a Decoy Gambit for my tank (Basch or Fran) I put it first line, This spell has helped me ALOT especially when you end up having to fight 2+ mobs at once. It's so much easier to only have to heal 1 character and especially with them having all the shield licences. I turn this gambit off on occassion and cast it manually when needed, but if I'm running through places with alot to fight I make sure to have Decoy on at all times.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

I cant wait to get Decoy, so tired of mobs always going after Fran and beating her ass lol....

When in the story does Decoy open up?

I can't recall exactly when I was able to get it, but it wasn't really to far in. Just keep checking the shop for it. If you are already past the dawn shard part then you should be getting it soon. I've had it since like around lv 25ish? which was not long after getting the dawn shard.

Is there a trick to getting decoy to actually work? Every time I set a gambit for it the spell keeps missing and my character ends up spamming decoy trying to get it to stick instead of doing more important things.

i'm awesome.
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Daegar
    Is there a trick to getting decoy to actually work? Every time I set a gambit for it the spell keeps missing and my character ends up spamming decoy trying to get it to stick instead of doing more important things.
    You're probably casting it on an already decoyed person or a mob, I think you cast Decoy on the character.

Can anyone tell me when we get access to the rest of the gambits besides the shitty ones the game starts off with. I'm tired of not being able to set gambits for charge. Also, when do we get access to the other techniques on the board. As of now I only have access to like 5. What does Traveler do? Does it do like half the number of steps in damage, because I've taken like 90k steps lol. What about souleater? Does it improve your hits like in FFXI, or is it just straight damage for a % of HP? Any info on abilities would be nice, the info in the strat guide seriously sucks it just restates what the game already tells you about the ability not anything useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Maguspk
    You're probably casting it on an already decoyed person or a mob, I think you cast Decoy on the character.

Can anyone tell me when we get access to the rest of the gambits besides the shitty ones the game starts off with. I'm tired of not being able to set gambits for charge. Also, when do we get access to the other techniques on the board. As of now I only have access to like 5. What does Traveler do? Does it do like half the number of steps in damage, because I've taken like 90k steps lol. What about souleater? Does it improve your hits like in FFXI, or is it just straight damage for a % of HP? Any info on abilities would be nice, the info in the strat guide seriously sucks it just restates what the game already tells you about the ability not anything useful.
    gambits for charge: uhhh not sure, it's pretty much in the middle of the game i think though (or maybe phon coast...can't remember)
    techniques: check each shop in every town, some towns don't have techniques that others do.
    traveler: never seen the damage, it's always missed for me =/
    souleater: never used it, don't see the need to use it

tip: when you get a few rank ups, you'll start getting faith, brave and bubble in the clan shop in the Buzru<sp> Bazaar in rabanastre

Travler is good. It basicly deals damage based on the amount of steps you've taken since you've last used it.
    Souleater: Good for Hunts where you need to take down the last 5% of a mob fast. Souleater cant be resisted, so its good.

i'm awesome.
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Falconblade
    Travler is good. It basicly deals damage based on the amount of steps you've taken since you've last used it.
    Souleater: Good for Hunts where you need to take down the last 5% of a mob fast. Souleater cant be resisted, so its good.
    You quoted the description the game gives for traveler, but how much damage does it do in relation to your foosteps. What's the relationship, homes!?

nah the spell actually misses a lot when you try to cast it or atleast it does for me. I was just hoping that there is some way to make it land every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Falconblade
    You quoted the description the game gives for traveler, but how much damage does it do in relation to your foosteps. What's the relationship, homes!?
    Did I?
    My bad.
    It does exactly what it says, I belive. Ive done 1.2k~ Travlers after not doing it for a while. 1:1 ratio I think.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

I had a Shell gambit but removed it when I realized decoy would only land 1/20 times on that char.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

yeah the missing thing happens like crazy to me too..

so it's cause of shell that it misses? cause a positive buff messing up another positive buff is pretty stupid.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by kisada
    yeah the missing thing happens like crazy to me too..

so it's cause of shell that it misses? cause a positive buff messing up another positive buff is pretty stupid.
    It can miss either way. It landing is based on casters magic attack vs targets magic defense.

Science Fiction Super Fan
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

W T F

how do you gambit charge? i try to set gambit MP<20% Charge but it says action cannot me used on an Ally

just for shits and giggles i tried to set it to Foe: HP=100% Charge and got this action cannot be used on a foe.

how do i gambit Charge????

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Needs to be a Self gambit for charge.

Science Fiction Super Fan
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglestrike

orz i dont think i have self gambits yet

what level can u get them?

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Quote Originally Posted by takedown2
    Quote Originally Posted by Eaglestrike

orz i dont think i have self gambits yet

what level can u get them?
    I forget. I know I got them by Balfonheim port and my characters were level 38ish and slightly overlvl'd (neglected lvling anyone else) but I might have gotten them before that, it's around that time though.

I have alot of trouble sometimes getting Decoy to stick too... sometimes I miss like 10 times before it sticks and other times, it will stick every time I use it. It gets annoying because then I end up spamming it during battle and other people start getting hit.

i'm awesome.
    BG Level

Hmm, I just got an ingenious idea for my main healers...

1 : Ally : HP < 60% : Curaga
    2 : Ally : HP < 80% : Cure
    3 : Self : Charge
    4 : Foe : Party leader's target : Attack

This will heal until out of MP then do a charge right? I know it completely misses the option for attacking while the party is at full HP but this would work right? (The gambit system is like a giant set of nested if-loops if you've done programming before, it's so easy to understand lol)

Very Sexy Nerd
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

Hmm, I just got an ingenious idea for my main healers...

1 : Ally : HP < 60% : Curaga
    2 : Ally : HP < 80% : Cure
    3 : Self : Charge
    4 : Foe : Party leader's target : Attack

This will heal until out of MP then do a charge right? I know it completely misses the option for attacking while the party is at full HP but this would work right? (The gambit system is like a giant set of nested if-loops if you've done programming before, it's so easy to understand lol)
    I don't think that would really work, unless you're below 80%hp at all times. The moment there is no one to cure your character will charge, and most likely lose all of its mp. <.<;