Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Sea Torques
    BG Level

The Dark Lilies (Volume 2) (11/02/2006)

http://www.playonline.com/pcd/topics/ff ... etail.html

The city of San d'Oria was draped in a gossamer mantle of morning mist; the silence contrasting against the tumultuous events of the Harvest Festival, just ended the night before.

As I walked along the dimly lit alleys, I passed citizens heading to work, bodies hunched against the morning chill. A creaking chocobo cart piled high with sacks of wheat was overtaken by energetic young adventurers as it trundled slowly down the path.
    It appeared as if vividly colored flowers bloomed by the sides of the alley, but on closer inspection they turned out to be nothing more than candy wrappers. Until only yesterday, one could hear the excited voices of children as they compared bags of sweets in this very street. Those same children would likely still be dreaming in their beds at this hour.

http://www.playonline.com/pcd/topics...003/1003_0.jpg

"Brian. Gertrude. With the aid of the adventurers, we have finally divined the motivations of these sinister spirits. The time of exorcism is at hand."

The steady voice of Roger, my fellow exorcist, spoke to me through the linkpearl held to my ear.

"Who would have thought such a simple idea would allow someone to comprehend the Cursed Tongue. Those adventurers must have had sharp hearing," Brian added with a stifled yawn.

The Cursed Tongue.
    Any who belonged to a nation involved in the Great War would recall the unsettling language uttered by the Dark Lilies.
    It rose into the air along with the ominous tolling of the beastman soldiers' gongs...

Just before the Harvest Festival began, it was Roger who, having spent his youth in Bastok during the war, was able to shed light on the origins of the witches' speech.
    According to his tale, this language was instinctively understandable by all creatures of darkness. It is thought that the Shadow Lord encouraged its use in order to bridge the racial and cultural differences among the various beastman armies.

I had been searching for a way to understand the language ever since I heard the whisperings of that witch in the woods of Ronfaure.
    Eventually I came to the conclusion that one must assume the form of a monster in order to find some meaning in those haunting words.

The festival began several days later, and found the three of us making the rather strange request of adventurers to "put on the guise of a monster and follow after the witches."

I wonder if this was not exactly as the Goddess had planned.
    The investigations progressed at a rapid pace, and many adventurers came forth to bring us the vital clues we needed to gain control over the spirits.

The truths we learned were quite unexpected:
    Homesickness, lost hopes, past loves...
    These six witches had returned to their hometowns, unable to let go of precious memories that still stirred some part of their souls.
    And that was the simple explanation to the mystery of their appearance.

"The Dark Lilies never completely lost their mortal selves. And that is why I believe the adventurers were able to understand them despite having no knowledge of the Cursed Tongue," I said, responding to Brian's earlier comment.

I continued on, towards the apparitions I was duty-bound to banish.

As the sun rose in the eastern sky, I found the Elvaan witch Poseaulloie on the parade ground before the gates of the Chateau d'Oraguille.
    I could see that she knew full well why I had come, and why she could no longer remain in this world. Her journey to Altana's side passed without incident, and I continued on to Laborman's Way in search of the last witch--Maryse.

I stepped through the gate and navigated the wooden walkways until I located the forlorn shade of Maryse at the bottom of the stairs.
    Even from afar I could tell immediately by her overwhelming presence--this was the spirit I had encountered in Ronfaure the day I arrived in San d'Oria.

I approached her slowly.

"Do you remember me, Maryse?"

The witch turned to face me, staring blankly as the light reflected from her seemingly unseeing eyes.

"I have heard about your brother...
    There is nothing to regret. He knew and forgave everything that you did. I'm sure his thoughts were with you until the day he passed from this life..."

Streaks of light suddenly ran down the witch's cheeks.

http://www.playonline.com/pcd/topics...003/1003_2.jpg

"Maryse, listen to me...
    You and your brother...there is nothing left for you in this world..."

"M-my...brother..."

"The...Shadow...Lord...We..."

The Shadow Lord.
    That name was unmistakable.

"Tell me, Maryse. What happened to you and your sisters?"

And so she began her twenty-year-old tale in a language she had all but forgotten.

From the time she was a young girl, Maryse's unnatural affinity for magic marked her as a terror-inspiring "witch." Eventually, even her own parents began to fear her burgeoning powers.
    The only person who stood by Maryse was her older brother, who would always say, "We all have a destiny wrought for us by the Goddess. There will come a day when your magic will be sought after instead of feared."

But once Maryse learned that her brother's protective actions had also earned him the hatred of the townspeople, she fled from her home and family.

It was then that Maryse's travels brought her into contact with five other such outcasts and their destinies were bound together forever. These six individuals bade farewell to their troubled pasts and created a new coven of witches--the Dark Lilies.

After the formation of the Dark Lilies, the six witches resurrected ancient spells of destruction for their own protection. Their actions earned them even greater enmity from the common people.

The Dark Lilies found no welcome in the lands of Altana's children.
    Chased from the civilized world, the witches looked north for sanctuary, and eventually found themselves knocking on the gates of Castle Zvahl--the stronghold of the Shadow Lord.
    Perhaps this turn of events was inevitable.

http://www.playonline.com/pcd/topics...003/1003_4.jpg

The six were granted audience, and spoke with an Ahriman that stood in attendance to the Shadow Lord.

"A fascinating proposal. You wish to serve the Shadow Lord? Then you must enter the darkness in which we thrive!"

It was at that moment that the form and speech of mortal beings was stripped from the Dark Lilies, and they were reborn as monstrous shades.

Not long after their transformation, the Great War descended upon Vana'diel.
    The Dark Lilies were placed at the forefront of the beastman armies, and used their tremendous powers to batter the allied forces of Altana.
    Rumors of ethereal witches wielding ancient spells spread quickly across the battlefield and struck dread into the hearts of all who heard them.
    But even with their awesome might, the six witches failed to prevent the eventual defeat of the beastmen. And so began the journey of a coven that had nowhere left to go.

The days of aimless wandering stretched into months, and then years...

As the six drifted, they slowly began to lose all sense of who they were and what they were searching for.
    After ten, then twenty years of this mindless meandering, Maryse found that she had left her companions behind, and arrived in the town of her childhood.

"I had lost everything...and had nowhere else to go. At least here, I had the memory...of my brother."

As Maryse spoke these words, eyes turned downwards, her form grew even more insubstantial and seemed ready to dissipate altogether.

Perhaps Maryse did not wish to hear the truth. But if I did not take this chance to convince her, her spirit might wander this world until the end of time--just as she had been wandering for the last twenty years.

Bolstering my resolve, I faced Maryse once again.

"Maryse...
    When you met with the Shadow Lord's attendant, he took more than just your mortal body and words.
    He took your life as well...and doomed you to this spectral existence."

Maryse quietly lifted her gaze to mine, and her voice was tinged with sadness.

"I think I knew...
    On that day...when I felt the warmth of your body...and knew envy...
    I am no longer lost.
    Please...send me to my brother's side..."

"Maryse..."

"Thank you...for helping me see the truth."

In that instant, the golden light of the sun spilled over the eastern wall, bathing everything before it in warmth and radiance. Thus illuminated, Maryse's smile was gentle and content.

It was as if the compassionate avatar of Altana stood before me.

I closed my eyes in reverence, and intoned a passage from the holy tome to help her soul on its final journey.
    I had faith that Maryse would find her way to Altana's side...

When I opened my eyes, Maryse was nowhere to be seen, but in her place floated countless motes of brilliant light.
    I watched for the longest time as, one by one, those ephemeral motes rose slowly to the heavens.

http://www.playonline.com/pcd/topics...003/1003_6.jpg
    Kinda cool to see them wrap up this event, not just leave it hanging. Kinda wish I had done it in every city now, I was actually kinda interested by what they were saying.

Also, in before lolChasuble

Illustration by Mitsuhiro Arita

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Kinda cool to see them wrap up this event, not just leave it hanging. Kinda wish I had done it in every city now, I was actually kinda interested by what they were saying.
    It would be cool if they had given us some content last update...they did not. They need to change their priorities

Re: The Dark Lilies (Volume 2) (11/02/2006)

Quote Originally Posted by Xanthu
    Also, in before lolChasuble
    Was the first thing I thought when I saw the images. Didn't read the story.

Banned.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kaylia
    It would be cool if they had given us some content last update...they did not. They need to change their priorities
    Yeah, they should be writing stories and making artwork of Fafnir.

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

The artwork is nice, even if it is of a hume RDM with Ogre Boots/pants/gloves, Chausable and an... Asklepios.

٩๏̯͡๏)۶

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Barthilas

cliff notes

Banned.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by miokomioko
    The artwork is nice, even if it is of a hume RDM with Ogre Boots/pants/gloves, Chausable and an... Asklepios.
    Do people really care about the type of armor NPCs wear? I mean Chausable isn't exactly ugly, at least in those pictures. People do realize, this is a written work, not a stat simulator? Maybe Chausable(s) are linked to exocists in Vana'diel? I know its priest related for the most part. Doesn't matter.

Banned.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Lordwafik
    cliff notes
    magic witches are invading al zahbi

Old Merits
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Lordwafik
    cliff notes
    NPC#1: Can we ever vanquish them!?

NPC#2: lolChausibleNPC

NPC#1: .....

NPC#2: *poof*

~End~

I agree entirely, despite the sarcasm in your post. The same artwork with a WHM in Nobles and a LS fighting Fafnir would be gorgeous.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by BRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaylia

Well, they could write 2 hours worth of mission instead of 1

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nikko Toska
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Linked it in the Pt1 thread. A chausable is a robe worn by a priest or spiritual person in some churches. Wiki it if you really want to know or just be happy knowing it's a religious item hence why the exorcists wear them.

The Once and Future Wamoura
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

Quote Originally Posted by Aodh
    Linked it in the Pt1 thread. A chausable is a robe worn by a priest or spiritual person in some churches. Wiki it if you really want to know or just be happy knowing it's a religious item hence why the exorcists wear them.
    yeah man they need that magic accuracy to send those ghosts to the beyond

Saint Daahan Von Quitter the 1st
    Patron of Yin

BG Level

eh, the first volume was better.

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

The artwork is really nice though.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Meanwhile, in the hollowed-out undersea volcano headquarters of Square-Enix, the evil Dr. Square addresses his minions...

Dr. Square: So my minions there is a choice this month- should we fix end-game so that the player base is happy, or should we write a story about the Halloween event?

Minion 1: We only have the resources for one or the other?

Dr. Square: Yes. Now choose.

Minion 1: Story about the Halloween event.

Minion 2: Yeah, totally.

Minion 3: Sounds bitchin'.

Dr. Square: Excellent. Now for the Christmas event: have Ridill drop from Bahamut II fight, or make Santa pants? Muh huh huh huh huh!!!!

The Once and Future Wamoura
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

If I were a Minion I'd make it Santa Ridills 8)

Quote Originally Posted by Septimus
    Meanwhile, in the hollowed-out undersea volcano headquarters of Square-Enix, the evil Dr. Square addresses his minions...

*lolendgamecontent joke deleted*
    Perhaps the devs have realized that "end-game" is a ravenous, impossible to satisfy black hole and decided not to pander to the crowd that actually consumes content fastest per capita.

I could be wrong, but that seems to be universal throughout MMORPG's.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Rocl
    Occasionally "Ho"s 2 to 3 times?

the whitest knight u' know
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Miya Kai
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur

Quote Originally Posted by Septimus
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocl
    Occasionally "Ho"s 2 to 3 times?
    That was good.

Santa Pants > more Ridills.

Stories are stupid. Rewards aren't.