BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Lbelle
    he makes me wet
    Damn I'm good. 8)

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Balthier with that gun from the Antlion (the 50 dmg one) is usually doing 2-3 times the damage Vaan does with Deathbringer for me :O

He always kept up with everyone pretty well, but now he's just owning the hell out of everything . If I find mobs weak to one of the bullet types he has so far, that usually means 7k-9999 damage a hit =x

A. Body
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kaelan
    Balthier with that gun from the Antlion (the 50 dmg one) is usually doing 2-3 times the damage Vaan does with Deathbringer for me :O

He always kept up with everyone pretty well, but now he's just owning the hell out of everything . If I find mobs weak to one of the bullet types he has so far, that usually means 7k-9999 damage a hit =x
    give him a self-berserk gambit and watch him rampage :D

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Toralyn
    Square seems to like repeating that whole "this is bad, but I'll do it anyways" kind of thing. FF6: Espers, FF7: Mako/Materia, FF4: Light/Dark Crystals, etc.
    What connection are you making here? The way I read that sentence, it means that "good" characters are using evil power despite knowing it's wrong. But in those cases, it's the evil side that's trying to use the stuff (although espers by themselves aren't evil, it's killing them for magitek or magicite really).

In that respect, the nuke alalogy makes even more sense, actually. From the Japanese perspective, nukes are the kind of power that only leads to destruction, and only an evil or corrupt power would try, like Gestahl/Kefka, Zemus/Golbez or Shinra.

Man, that was deep...

Quote Originally Posted by Anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadLegend
    Basch is the most badass and key character, he's this game's Kain. He could have been the "main" character easily. Balthier is funny as hell though.

Fafnir isn't popping.
    Man speaks the truth!

Whoever said his clothes are dumb? wtf... lol. Balthier's clothes are gay but he's still cool in CSs. Clothes usually don't influence my decisions on characters lol for example I use Vaan too. Basch is just the tough silent guy just like Kain was and Kain is the coolest FF char ever imo. I liked Vossler too, too bad. :-/
    Basch's clothers are the random shit he picked up after escaping the dungeon he was locked in for 2 years, one interesting thing I like about his costume is he retains a semblance of knightliness with the scraps of armor on his left shoulder, like one last bit of the past he's holding onto. When you fight Gabranth later he says something like "What good a Kingdom without the power to protect it?" and basch is like fuck you dude "I will protect Queen and Country both" and Gabby says "Can shame protect nothing?"

See basch is never able to do what he's trying to do, something always happens and his plans fail but this time he's refusing to fail and he's spitting in the face of pride and shame just to stay determined. Once he escaped the prison he started from scratch, all he had was a mission and his surfer shorts. He's the ultimate High>Low>High hero.

btw coolest line in the game also comes in that same scene with Gabranth "Your oaths are a poison to those you would protect"

I loved Vossler too his beard looks just like mine

Quote Originally Posted by Anyway
    Basch is the most badass and key character, he's this game's Kain. He could have been the "main" character easily. Balthier is funny as hell though.

Fafnir isn't popping.
    Man speaks the truth!

Whoever said his clothes are dumb? wtf... lol. Balthier's clothes are gay but he's still cool in CSs. Clothes usually don't influence my decisions on characters lol for example I use Vaan too. Basch is just the tough silent guy just like Kain was and Kain is the coolest FF char ever imo. I liked Vossler too, too bad. :-/
    Basch's clothers are the random shit he picked up after escaping the dungeon he was locked in for 2 years, one interesting thing I like about his costume is he retains a semblance of knightliness with the scraps of armor on his left shoulder, like one last bit of the past he's holding onto. When you fight Gabranth later he says something like "What good a Kingdom without the power to protect it?" and basch is like fuck you dude "I will protect Queen and Country both" and Gabby says "Can shame protect nothing?"

See basch is never able to do what he's trying to do, something always happens and his plans fail but this time he's refusing to fail and he's spitting in the face of pride and shame just to stay determined. Once he escaped the prison he started from scratch, all he had was a mission and his surfer shorts. He's the ultimate High>Low>High hero.

btw coolest line in the game also comes in that same scene with Gabranth "Your oaths are a poison to those you would protect"

I loved Vossler too his beard looks just like mine
    Me and Dead think exactly alike. Must be cause we're Jersey boys.

Quote Originally Posted by Charla
    Quote Originally Posted by Toralyn
    Square seems to like repeating that whole "this is bad, but I'll do it anyways" kind of thing. FF6: Espers, FF7: Mako/Materia, FF4: Light/Dark Crystals, etc.
    What connection are you making here? The way I read that sentence, it means that "good" characters are using evil power despite knowing it's wrong. But in those cases, it's the evil side that's trying to use the stuff (although espers by themselves aren't evil, it's killing them for magitek or magicite really).

In that respect, the nuke alalogy makes even more sense, actually. From the Japanese perspective, nukes are the kind of power that only leads to destruction, and only an evil or corrupt power would try, like Gestahl/Kefka, Zemus/Golbez or Shinra.

Man, that was deep...
    Well, in 6 the heroes know that Espers have the power to cause mass destruction to the world, despite them being in magicite form, and use them anyways (after they donate their power). In 4 (and 5 now that I think about it), removing the crystals upsets the balance of power, and even though you're racing to beat Golbez to them, you're still trying to get them for yourself. Granted it's to stop Golbez from getting his filthy paws on them, but you're still aiding in the upset of balance.

7 is a little harder to make a comparison to. A lot of towns don't want to use mako energy, but do anyways (mainly due to ShinRa), and using materia is like using the planet's power, since it's just crystalized[sp] mako.

And of course in 12 we have the heroes after nethicite, which has insane amounts of power, kind of relates to 4/5 here. Trying to get to it before the baddies do, except it doesn't upset any balance, except for who has the most power.

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Hmm, that's an interesting way to look at it at least. I always thought of magicite as more sources of personal magic than large-scale worldkiller magic. The espers themselves destroyed Vector, but that surprised everyone, and there was never an implication that the magicite could do something similar. Of course, using magicite could be distasteful to most of the player characters even if some of the espers gave them willingly.

In 4, I thought removing a crystal didn't really do much of anything unless all 8 were gathered to summon the giant. The crystals were entrusted to humans (and dwarves) for protection, so there's nothing wrong with a human collecting one or two. In 5, Exdeath was actually shattering the crystals, and the party was trying to protect them, not collect them.

Again, 7 is the more complicated case, partly because Shinra is the one actually extracting the mako. And materia can crystalize naturally as well as being created by the reactors. Presumably, natural materia doesn't hurt the lifestream much, and either way, once in materia form, all it can do is channel the ancients' power. In that respect, using mako-powered machines or artificial materia would be a little hypocritical.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

I remember something in 8 about GFs slowly messing with your head and characters starting to lose part of their memories after using GFs for a long time, which would kinda relate to that too. It had some pretty serious long term drawbacks, but they had to use it anyway if they wanted to get anything done anytime soon.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fryte Avarise
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

I guess I'm the only one that hearts Fran. I hate watching her run as party leader though.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Fran has a sexy voice ;o

Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Quote Originally Posted by safer
    Fran has a sexy voice ;o
    Yeah i wasn't into 7 foot bunnies before i got ff12... time to go check into some torrents

Quote Originally Posted by Kaelan
    I remember something in 8 about GFs slowly messing with your head and characters starting to lose part of their memories after using GFs for a long time, which would kinda relate to that too. It had some pretty serious long term drawbacks, but they had to use it anyway if they wanted to get anything done anytime soon.
    Yeah, they all forgot that they were orhpans together, and that Cid and the Sorceress (whatever the fuck her name was) had raised them, except for Sophie (I think that was her name) because she didn't touch GFs until much later in her life.

Quote Originally Posted by Charla
    Hmm, that's an interesting way to look at it at least. I always thought of magicite as more sources of personal magic than large-scale worldkiller magic. The espers themselves destroyed Vector, but that surprised everyone, and there was never an implication that the magicite could do something similar. Of course, using magicite could be distasteful to most of the player characters even if some of the espers gave them willingly.

In 4, I thought removing a crystal didn't really do much of anything unless all 8 were gathered to summon the giant. The crystals were entrusted to humans (and dwarves) for protection, so there's nothing wrong with a human collecting one or two. In 5, Exdeath was actually shattering the crystals, and the party was trying to protect them, not collect them.

Again, 7 is the more complicated case, partly because Shinra is the one actually extracting the mako. And materia can crystalize naturally as well as being created by the reactors. Presumably, natural materia doesn't hurt the lifestream much, and either way, once in materia form, all it can do is channel the ancients' power. In that respect, using mako-powered machines or artificial materia would be a little hypocritical.
    My mistake on 5, I haven't played it in 8 or 9 years. True for 4 too, but the crystals still gave off power for each area they resided in, and by removing them, it weakened the area, not a huge deal, but enough.

And yeah, 7 is complicated. All the materia you buy from shops is artificial (or at least it's assumed it is), and a lot (not all, obviously) that you find is laying around towns, or near where a reactor is located/used to be located, making it hypocritical, but it kind of goes hand in hand with 6. They don't necessarily want the power, but they need it to help them out.

Pinky out. lol

Balthier's cool.
    He follows the strange road of "Don't fuck with the guy in the pink shirt"

but I just like basch's story more d:

(they both have awesome actors)

Hayleystrator
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Jooeetheplatypus
    Looks like one of the animators of Kim Possible drew that.

Quote Originally Posted by Epical
    Quote Originally Posted by Jooeetheplatypus
    Looks like one of the animators of Kim Possible drew that.
    Or Penny Arcade...

Relic Horn
    BG Level

And if Balthier ever smiled it would be a very accurate portrayal.

Now that you mention it, Gabe's style is similar to some of those Nickelodeon things...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast