+ Reply to Thread

Thread: {Spoilers} Hell Wyrm     submit to reddit submit to twitter

{Spoilers} Hell Wyrm

I just beat this in my english playthrough and i have to say...it's been buffed up to hell(no pun intended) compared to JP version.

In JP version i killed this in 1hr 30mins with a PT of 3, average lvl 55. 2 DD + 1 Healer

In US version it took me 1hr 45mins with a PT of 4(Reddas as Guest), average lvl 67, 3x pure DD and 1 DD/healer

On to the details, to get to this you need to have cleared Vyraal Mob Hunt and got Dragon Scale. Go to Windmill #10 in Cerobi Steppe and give the guy the Dragon Scale to get Ageworn Key.
    Now, go to Sochen Cave Palace and to the area with all the doors and stuff (kinda diamond-shaped-looking area on the map) and go to the west here to get to the locked door. Save accessory for Bubble Chain and get ready for a long fight.

This guy has around 6,000,000HP. Yes, 6mil. Each small bar underneath the big bar represent 100,000HP

Moves he uses:

Judgment: He will only use this once you take a certain amount of HP off him. 4000-5000+ damage and sometimes causes Stop, so get Chronos' Tear ready.
    Invert: Switches current HP with MP. personally i like it when he uses this move cos i used up a lot of MP during my fight.
    Stone Breath: Frontal AoE for 1000-2000 damage and sometimes causes Petrify
    Rake: Single Target instant 1-2k damage

Note: His combo hits sometimes cause instant KO, thankfully it's like 1/25 chance

Spells:

Darkga: My Decoy tank had demon shield on, which absorbs darkness element, so it's pretty nice when he did it to me. but otherwise causes 2000-3000 damage
    Water-/Fira-/Thunda-/Blizzaga: does about 1000-2000 damage

Keep someone on with decoy at all times and your healer with haste at all times because he does a lot of damage in a short amount of time. I had Reddas with Berserk+Brave+Haste on all the time cos he's a dick and doesn't use any healing stuff anyway. If your healer gets low on MP use Syphon on the Decoy tank for about 200-400 MP back, don't forget to gambit Charge.
    His defense will go up once he reaches 50%, and again at 25%. Once he's critical, the fun really starts.
    There are 3 stages when he's in critical, he moves on to the next stage after you take a few HP bars off him.

First Stage:
    Hardest out of all the stages. He will keep using Rake, and only Rake. Gambit Decoy and Reverse on ONE CHARACTER ONLY and turn off your Cure+Esuna gambits. This is pretty much the only way to survive for this stage. Keep fighting till he starts using Stone Breath.

Second Stage:
    Kind of easy. Turn your Reverse Gambit off and turn your cure gambits back on. This part might take a bit longer to do since i had all my characters with Esuna and they kept using it cos of the status. Make sure Breath only hits one person to mitigate this.

Final Stage:
    Easy. He will use Invert then start casting a spell, so you have to be quick with your cures, otherwise he will kill them. Keep going and you will have beaten him ^^

I only wiped once and had to use my LV12/15/21 PT to revive my main PT. It was only because he used Breath on everyone then immediately followed with Judgment after, killing my healer and Reddas and Stop on my other characters.

Hope you'll have as much fun with this fight as I did =3

Tough to picture a 1.5 hour fight in this game while your at lvl 25 and havnt fought anything tougher than Rocktoise yet. Sounds like they have some decent challenges ahead.

Was it FF9 or FF10 with the rediculously easy endgame that basically ruined the whole thing. The one where you are walking through space/a dream? after beating it.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren

That was 8 when you walk around in like a dream state after beating it.

All the FF games story modes have been comparatively easy, its usually the bonus dungeon or extra side quests that are more challenging. Omega is going to be a fun fight in this one...

Relic Horn
    BG Level

In 9 one of the last areas involves you walking in space, but that's before the last boss. In 8, the ending CG involves wandering through a dream.

As for the "easy story mode", I think that really only applies to 6 and later. In my fansubbed version of FF5, I got all the abilities besides red mage's chainscast thing and still couldn't beat the last boss. The optional bosses (omega and seiryuu) oneshot or twoshotted me. (to be fair, exdeath wouldn't be all that hard if his "all statuses" move didn't seem to ignore ribbons). And of course Zeromus from 4 was pretty hard too, simply because you have to time a cure to land less than 2 seconds after big bang hits, even at level 99.

Everything after 5 has been pitifully easy if you're a completist and bothered to powerlevel before the last fight, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Charla
    In 9 one of the last areas involves you walking in space, but that's before the last boss. In 8, the ending CG involves wandering through a dream.

As for the "easy story mode", I think that really only applies to 6 and later. In my fansubbed version of FF5, I got all the abilities besides red mage's chainscast thing and still couldn't beat the last boss. The optional bosses (omega and seiryuu) oneshot or twoshotted me. (to be fair, exdeath wouldn't be all that hard if his "all statuses" move didn't seem to ignore ribbons). And of course Zeromus from 4 was pretty hard too, simply because you have to time a cure to land less than 2 seconds after big bang hits, even at level 99.

Everything after 5 has been pitifully easy if you're a completist and bothered to powerlevel before the last fight, though.
    Very true. Now that I think about it I guess 1-3 were pretty tough. 4 I don't remember being that tough but I played that one so thoroughly I'm sure I was way overlvled.

I cant wait to fight Yiazmat only 50 some million HP lol

Quote Originally Posted by Charla

So if you want a tougher game dont powerlevel *gasp*

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Thing is you almost have to farm your butt off just being that this game revolves so much around gil, while farming for gil you get xp so easy...gain lvls so fast, and LP etc....so either do the storyline with bare minimum armor and its hard as hell.
    Or have fun, explore high level areas, do Rare Game and Hunts, etc, while getting loot drops and getting good weapons early, is just cool i guess

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Yeah, I find myself wishing there was a way to turn XP gain off sometimes. Good to know it's not just me.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Eredar

There is a way to turn exp gain off, granted you lose your accessory slot though.

I just fought this, at 30% he went kinda nuts as expected. He has a whole stage where he uses nothing but the stone breath and I may have been imagining it but it seems like each time he uses it it knocks you down another notch toward 0. Spams the shit out of it. Managed not to wipe but had to switch in my 10/10/15 pt for arise once. lol

Used basch/ashe/fran (all 67) with Ashe as my tank, Fran with masamune+Genji, and basch as the "other" lol. Shield/axe/healing. I tried to let Fran just unleash the fury caps lock style.

Hell Wyrm's random add effect death was a fun surprise, and stopga chance on judgement. I ended up trying to keep my characters set up in a close triangle around him, far enough to avoid his aoe but close enough to gather for a cure/buffga, and I never had more than one person buffing at a time, in case of needing heals.

His regular physical strikes weren't as strong as I expected, dealing 1k-1800, but I don't think I shielded a single strike the entire time with 45 evasion on ashe and 46 on basch.

I didn't have to charge and syphon wasn't sticking after a while, I just let inquisitor/martyr do the work and always kept 1 person taking a little break from casting.

The rake stage was fun, he seemed to have a haste/atk boost on it as well, consistent strong attacks from around 35%hp-25%. Then the stone breath and then the invert. I was sitting here expecting a some kind of ridiculous judgement spam range but luckily he didn't do that. lol

Fight took a touch under 2 hours.