+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Game Synopsis     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Game Synopsis

Posted this on another thread, but doing again here to see what others felt about the game after a long while of experiencing it. Here are my thoughts.

It took me 1.5 hours to pop it, not 5 mins, and thats with doing nothing but zoning in and out.

And as i posted above, i would rather have a challenging fight for great rewards (zodiac spear), then have a random pop mob or chest i have to spam zone for hours (deathbringer).

My evaluations thus far:

Pros:
    1. Amazingly beautiful game. The CGI, the Quickenings, the zones, the fights, everything is gorgeous.
    2. 3 d characters (personality, not graphics >.>). No one is "just evil or good", the empire is represented and humanized, as are the resistance and everyone else.
    3. Great storyline, well thoughout, very fun.
    4. Amazing Boss fights, some are very challenging and i have had a blast doing them.
    5. Game Dynamics: Gambit system adds a unique approach to handling tougher mobs and the license board allows each character to be developed in the way you see fit, very impressive.

Cons:
    1. Random Pop chests/mobs (this isnt a MMORPG, if you want an item to feel special, make it a boss fight reward, not a reward for who can spam the zone 4000 times).
    2. Game Dynamics (also a Pro, i love being able to make any character have any spell or ability, but it loses each characters uniqueness and everyone basically becomes a cookie cutter, offering nothing over the others then different player graphics).

Still giving the game an A+, just wish some of the annoyances could be ironed out.

Science Fiction Super Fan
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

i agree with the chest situation, i find it incredibly gay that if i want a really bad ass sword or spear without buying it in a shop 10 levels later (or never) i have to spam a certain zone and hope it pops

i never like camping NM's in FFXI and this feels that same.

i havent gone out of my way to get the deathbringer or zodiac spear among others not because i dont want to but i just dont feel it nesscessary to use alot of that time spent doing those things when i could be advancing in the game and seeing.

it seems to me alot of ppl are getting frustrated farming zones for hours trying to get these certain items just to make there characters that much better, mebbe in the end it pays of and your dudes will be stonger then my dudes but meh id rather just experience the game straight thru the first time then diverting myself on things like that

My only issue is that the battle system plays more or a RTS than a RPG, after you get a real good set of gambits its almost useless to do much more than watch, there are a few boss fights that are exception to this, but the majority are just watch the fight go on.

Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Quote Originally Posted by takedown2
    i agree with the chest situation, i find it incredibly gay that if i want a really bad ass sword or spear without buying it in a shop 10 levels later (or never) i have to spam a certain zone and hope it pops

i never like camping NM's in FFXI and this feels that same.

i havent gone out of my way to get the deathbringer or zodiac spear among others not because i dont want to but i just dont feel it nesscessary to use alot of that time spent doing those things when i could be advancing in the game and seeing.

it seems to me alot of ppl are getting frustrated farming zones for hours trying to get these certain items just to make there characters that much better, mebbe in the end it pays of and your dudes will be stonger then my dudes but meh id rather just experience the game straight thru the first time then diverting myself on things like that
    After my 25hour point into ff12, i looked over at my pc moniter and saw my ffxi toon standing there bazaaring, then looked back at ff12 and couldn't determine a real difference between the two... Did i want to seek on a lowbie, and grind some levels or farm money on ffxi, or did i want to do it on ff12. I chose FF12 because i really dont feel like spending 200k to AH these damn unicorn leggings but it's still kinda funny no matter what i play i'd be doing the same thing.

I beat the game last night 88 hrs (yes I grinded from release date) character party lvl 64-62-62-58-58-46 (poor penello) but I would honestly have to say that there are soooo many similarities between XI and XII at times I thought I could /tell someone. The music is wonderful, but I swear I have heard it before I was easily able to associate the city of Rabanastre with San Doria, the bird people with yagudo and even the KRT and Zitah zones. I still enjoy ffxi though and I really only bought it because of the final fantasy title (back at NA release) and that in itself is enough. This game reminded me why I have been an avid supporter of SE games for a long time.

Gameplay was awesome I am really in love with the gambit and real time fighting. I controlled the healer at times and left 2 dd or controlled a tank with a mage and healer. I really enjoyed the story (wont post more thoughts until more are complete) I understand frustration concerning the chests because I did give up on a few things, but now that I am done I am going back into it to get the 100% complete. The license system was great because if I needed more fire power in a battle I could easily purchase a black magic license or bow license for another character and balance it out. No more getting shafted by the "Damn didn't know he was immune to male characters time to load from 3 hrs earlier and fix progression."

The bazaar system is somewhat irritating to me at least, considering I would love to be able to track what I turned in and still need without having to excel spreadsheet my transactions (no I didn't do that but I think its the only plausible way to keep track) Also wtf @ poaching its hard enough to steal the item you need but poaching you need to get the mob to a sliver of HP and pray you can take a beating THEN hope he poaches the correct item. Trivial things though in the grand scheme.

Best part ..... beaten the game but there is still a lot of content to take care of and that is worth my money.

Old Merits
    BG Level

I'm just about 13 hours in, and I've mostly been grinding LP and doing the few hunts available to me before I head out to wherever to rescue Penelo (just have Vaan, Balth, Fran, and Basch). Anyway, if having to spam the same zone over and over to get every last item in the game bothers you, then why do it? I get the impression that those things are set randomly like that so that each time you play through can be a more unique experience.

Sure, you won't get every single sword or whatever, and you might miss something 'important,' but come on, no matter how much it looks like it, this game is not an MMO where your epeen matters. I got a bit into the game and then read about the 'oh no don't touch me' 4 chests for the zodiac spear or w/e, and really I don't give a shit...

Random rewards are only a problem if you focus on reading guides and min/maxing the game. Do that in FFXI, but just let the game lead you where you need to go in offline games. If you just play through the game relaxed and with minimal guide usage, random chests are actually good since you actually get new stuff when you do hunts in old places. It also makes it so that if you dont focus on OMG I NED DETHRBINGER you'll actually have different sets of gear than other people and a somewhat unique playthrough each time.

Edit: Just read Stilgar and lol he said the same thing. Also one cool thing is that if you play through it and just do a few hunts you can still win, its just very hard. But if you want less challenge you have a ton of hunts to go on to get exp without grinding. Even though its not as efficient its loads more fun.

Ignorance is bliss i guess, i do imagine i would be much more content just walking around chilling, but damn... that stupid guide has perked my interest...

Quote Originally Posted by Neosutra
    Ignorance is bliss i guess, i do imagine i would be much more content just walking around chilling, but damn... that stupid guide has perked my interest...
    I have the guide. I just restrain myself. It makes games so much better...

I have a guide and didn't use it, didn't have a deathbringer until it was available in a shop, and I doubt I missed out on anything by not having it at level 12 or whenever.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Only problem is, without a guide, there will be some things you never obtain no matter how many playthroughs you do.

e.g. Zodiac Spear.

Without the guide, no one would have no way of knowing, even on their 20th playthrough, that the spear was even there if you don't touch four chests. They'll see the License for it, but they'll never know where it is or how to get it.

Afterall, what clue is there that you're not supposed to open certain chests, and even if you knew this somehow, what clue is there which chests they are?

Demosthenes11

11 hours in right now, everyone about level 16-17. Absolutely love the game and just about everything about it. Just got a golden body piece from the bat NM in the mines, equipped to Vaan and now he takes 0 damage to just about everything but magic :D

Relic Horn
    BG Level

Don't be so sure, Khamsin. You know there's one guy who'd go through the whole game without opening chests just to prove he can (or whatever), then get the spear and brag about it on Gamefaqs or something. And of course there's the ultra rare chance to get it from another chest anyway, if you miss the one in Necrohol.

Demosthenes11

Oh ya, I actually do have a small problem with this game

Where the fuck is 2 player mode?

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Charla
    Don't be so sure, Khamsin. You know there's one guy who'd go through the whole game without opening chests just to prove he can (or whatever), then get the spear and brag about it on Gamefaqs or something. And of course there's the ultra rare chance to get it from another chest anyway, if you miss the one in Necrohol.
    If he went through the whole game without opening chests, he would have skipped the spear without realizing it.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Khamsin
    Only problem is, without a guide, there will be some things you never obtain no matter how many playthroughs you do.

e.g. Zodiac Spear.

Without the guide, no one would have no way of knowing, even on their 20th playthrough, that the spear was even there if you don't touch four chests. They'll see the License for it, but they'll never know where it is or how to get it.

Afterall, what clue is there that you're not supposed to open certain chests, and even if you knew this somehow, what clue is there which chests they are?
    im not that far in the game.. but if anyone has done the hunt to kill Wraith (low rank hunt)... the house you enter after it becomes unlocked contains a note that says something to the effect of: "4 parts of a treasure have been hidden inside chests," and goes on to give a clue for 1 of the parts...... i didnt really understand the directions he gave, but i believe the first clue relates to the first chest inside lowtown that you should not open... ??

anyone else know anything regarding this?

Relic Horn
    BG Level

That note has nothing to do with the "chests that must not be touched".

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

Its for 2 optional bosses later and to fight Chaos the Esper

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Charla
    That note has nothing to do with the "chests that must not be touched".
    Well, if it says "4 parts of a treasure have been hidden inside chests" it could possibly have a dual meaning. One meaning what you think it means, and the other a possible reference to the Zodiac Spear, which coincidentally also is affected by 4 chests.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh

There are 4 Pieces of a Medallion later you have to piece together, doing separate quests and stuff, and eventually lead up to Chaos, pretty sure this is it as to i dont think theres any hints to how to get Zodiak Spear >.> Although however BradyGuide figured it out thats crazy lol