+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hidden References     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Old Merits
    BG Level

Hidden References

Here's a topic about all the little hidden references to other games and trivia for FFXII. First, a couple things I've noticed and/or stolen from wikipedia:

1. All of the espers in this game are either Zodiac Bosses from Final Fantasy Tactics, Totema from Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, or bosses from Nintendo-era FFs.

2. Gilgamesh wields swords from past FFs. His arsenal includes:
    -Cloud's Buster Sword (with the kanji for "Replica" on it)
    -Squall's Gunblade (with a Chocobo on it)
    -Zidane's Orichalcon
    -Tidus' Brotherhood
    -Odin's Zantetsuken
    -Excalibur and Excalipoor
    -Loto's Sword from Dragon Warrior 1/3

3. Montblanc is from Final Fantasy Tactics. (obvious)

4. Balthier has the same last name as the Final Fantasy Tactics characer Mustadio, another gun user.

5. The clan rank "Riskbreaker" is a reference to the game Vagrant Story. Ashley Riot, the main character of Vagrant Story, was a Riskbreaker.

6. The Zodiac Spear and Zodiac Escutcheon are no doubt references to the Ultimate Javelin and Golden Escutcheon from Final Fantasy Tactics. These being the strongest weapon and strongest shield in FFT. Both were one of a kind weapons found by using Move-Find Item in a one-time only battle.

7. FFXII is the sixth game to ever receive a 40/40 from Famitsu magazine. It is the first Final Fantasy to do so.

8. Yasumi Matsuno was the original writer and director of FFXII. He also created Final Fantasy Tactics and Vagrant Story. He worked as producer for Final Fantasy Tactics Advance.

9. Yasumi Matsuno is the only man other than Shigeru Miyamoto to have created two games that Famitsu has given a perfect score. These games are FFXII and Vagrant Story.

10. Bloo, from Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends and Basch share the same voice actor, Keith Ferguson.

11. Judge Zecht is voiced by Phil LaMarr, better known for providing the voice of every animated character ever made.

12. Migelo and Gilgamesh share their voiceactor: John DiMaggio. Better known as the voice of Bender.

I can't think of anymore, and I don't feel like trolling through the VA lists. Anyone find anything else?

The Sig...
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

11. Judge Zecht is voiced by Phil LaMarr, better known for providing the voice of every animated character ever made.

12. Migelo and Gilgamesh share their voiceactor: John DiMaggio. Better known as the voice of Bender.

@11: No way! The black dude from Mad TV?

@12: No way! Space robots!

John DiMaggio was also Wakka and Kimahri in FFX, and Judge Drace was Yunalesca. lol

Relic Horn
    BG Level

There's a moogle named Nutsy in the nomad village. Nutsy is the default name of your clan in FFTA if you don't want to think up a real one.

One of the bestiary added information things mentions Wyvern Wings being the emblem of a mighty airship fleet in a faraway kingdom, the fleet is known as the Red Wings, Cecil's fleet in FF4.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Fryte Avarise
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by DeadLegend
    One of the bestiary added information things mentions Wyvern Wings being the emblem of a mighty airship fleet in a faraway kingdom, the fleet is known as the Red Wings, Cecil's fleet in FF4.
    Also known as the greatest hockey team ever.

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Quote Originally Posted by Fryte
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadLegend
    Also known as the greatest hockey team ever.
    Montreal's 24 stanley cups says otherwise.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the floors #'s you're on in Draklor the same as the Shinra building at the beginning of FFVII?

Not really a reference to anything but just shock at some of the details in this game...the wolf mobs have assholes, with a hole and everything.

and yeah the draklor lab floors stuck out but I can't remember the exact shinra tower floors except that they were 60s.

I guess draklor lab might be a reference to that priest draclau in FFT, might not be.

Not really a reference to anything but just shock at some of the details in this game...the wolf mobs have assholes, with a hole and everything.
    Umm...how did you find that out?

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

i noticed that too >_>

its hard to miss when your camera points to the back of the wolf.. and its right there staring at you in the face.....

I've caught a number of plausible and semi-plausible connections to Vagrant Story. The more definite ones I can remember offhand is the references to Valendia (in which most of Vagrant Story takes place) and the bestiary entry on snowflies (can't remember which mob it's under).

Semi-plausible ones include item descriptions on some of the grimoires and book-loot-thingies as well as the "Riskbreaker" hunter rank.

Banned.

BG Level

The music also have subtle arrangements from Secret of Mana and Vagrant Story

Which wins the game for me in the nostalgia dept.

FFXII also has a subtle ffxi reference, i was in Phon tower killing shit and i got a fire crystal followed by a gungnir

has anyone seen biggs or wedge yet? did they make an appearance?

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Yeah, the two guards in Nalbina have names that are anagrams of them.

Seriously. The chocobo-hater and the other one.

Vobent

Gibbs and Deweg(sp) if you go to nalbina before you're supposed to, try to go to the Moshproian Highwaste and you'll run into Biggs and Wedge.

great! it gives me a kick to find them in the newer games.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Quote Originally Posted by Mala
    FFXII also has a subtle ffxi reference, i was in Phon tower killing shit and i got a fire crystal followed by a gungnir
    I got an earth crystal off Genbu (well, just a normal turtle in Cerobi Steppe...) just like in FFXI.

Tiamat dropped nothing, just like FFXI!