+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Computer Question....     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Computer Question....

As I know these topics are largely popular, I figured I'd try my luck.

Plain and simple, just need help in identifying the problem or a start, anyway, so I know where to go next.

First off, we were originally having problems with it randomly rebooting. I related this to the RAM, as it was the same cheap RAM I put in my old computer that had this problem before I started buying good brand-name RAM. The shitty brand is called Elixir. So anyway, that's somewhat irrelavent to the issue, but when we were horsin' around trying to fix it, another problem started to happen. When we turn on the computer, the screen is black and the moniter light stays yellow. THIS HAS happened in the past, but we just double-checked all the plugs and made sure they were nice and tight and it started working again. In attempt to fix the below problem, we've tried the same thing many times but had no luck.

I don't think it can be the video card as I have a somewhat new GeForce TI6800 256 in there. My current guess is, however, that it's the power supply. When we plug the actual power cord into the power supply, it automatically turns on. I was messin' around with it and changed the voltage, that little orange switch in the back, and then it sparked a bit inside (probably dumb lol) and started to smell so I turned that off REAL fast. I swapped out another power supply, but this one is kind of low... only 300W. It doesn't automatically turn on any more (which is good), rather, turns on like normal. The screen still doesn't turn on, however.

Do you think it's still the power supply? Or do you think there's a problem with the video card? I tried a different moniter (lolCRT) but both of them do the same thing, so I don't think it's the moniter.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Re: Computer Question....

Quote Originally Posted by Carbon
    As I know these topics are largely popular, I figured I'd try my luck.

Plain and simple, just need help in identifying the problem or a start, anyway, so I know where to go next.

First off, we were originally having problems with it randomly rebooting. I related this to the RAM, as it was the same cheap RAM I put in my old computer that had this problem before I started buying good brand-name RAM. The shitty brand is called Elixir. So anyway, that's somewhat irrelavent to the issue, but when we were horsin' around trying to fix it, another problem started to happen. When we turn on the computer, the screen is black and the moniter light stays yellow.

I don't think it can be the video card as I have a somewhat new GeForce TI6800 256 in there. My current guess is, however, that it's the power supply. When we plug the actual power cord into the power supply, it automatically turns on. I was messin' around with it and changed the voltage, that little orange switch in the back, and then it sparked a bit inside (probably dumb lol) and started to smell so I turned that off REAL fast. I swapped out another power supply, but this one is kind of low... only 300W. It doesn't automatically turn on any more, rather, turns on like normal. The screen still doesn't turn on, however.

Do you think it's still the power supply? Or do you think there's a problem with the video card? I tried a different moniter (lolCRT) but both of them do the same thing, so I don't think it's the moniter.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
    Run a memory test just for shits... but from what you said it sounds most likely like the power supply.

IIRC your video card needs more juice. A 300w is probably not enough [I am not sure on the requirements for that video card offhand].

I'd go with buying a new PSU 450w or more personally... they are cheap.

BUT, you may have fucked up one of many things when you fucked with the volatage ranging from your Motherboard... to any card on your motherboard and soforth :\

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph
    WoW Realm
    Frostmane

My guess... It's fried.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Can't run a memtest because I can't even see a screen or anything... just black...

Like a boss yo
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin
    WoW Realm
    Mal'Ganis

Bwelch, your avatar is made of COMPLETE WIN! :D sorry for the derail ._.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Resin Midwater
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Really, the best way to track down a problem like this is by process of elimination. You already tried another monitor (I assume the CRT you tried is a known good monitor), so you've ruled that out. If I'm reading what you're saying correctly, that little orange switch on the back of the power supply is the voltage switch--DEFINITELY keep that on 115 if you're in the US. Go ahead and get a beefier power supply to test with if you want, but I'd try another video card if you've got one lying around. To be honest, you could have fried any number of things when you saw that spark, so you're just gonna have to keep swapping parts until it works.

Hopefully it won't be the motherboard.

Good ruck.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

What Motherboard is in the PC? We have had a problem with more than 1000 PC's in the field with bad capacitors. They display a very similar issue. The problem turns out to be related to faulty capacitors on the motherboard.

Here is a reference to this issue. Check it out and see if it helps.

http://www.badcaps.net/

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nikko Toska
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Swap in another video card.
    Swap in another monitor.
    Check to make sure the power on the mother board lights up. (CPU fan etc.)
    Check to make sure your video card is properly seated.
    Check to make sure your video card isn't obviously burnt anywhere.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Yeah I don't see any burn marks or anything, and everything powers up like normal (fans on the video card, motherboard, and tower all run properly). The CD-Rom opens and closes as well.

We'll buy a new power supply since they're dirt cheap (and we know we need a new one now lol) and go from there.

Thanks for the support.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ramuh
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

assuming it's something you built yourself have you tried clearing the bios via the onboard bios clear jumper? (every motherboard I know has one)

you will have to readjust your BIOS settings but it can some times

btw you can probably look to see if you have Hard Drive activity via the light or just check to see if you can turn caps lock on and off to see if your computer is actually running even despite no video

my next guess would be bad videocard, see if you can nab some cheapie card from somewhere

btw you get what you pay for with cheap powersupplies