Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Unicorn Latent     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Unicorn Latent

I did some searching on this, couldn't find anything aside from "HP in white", but based on how we've seen latent for Parade Gorget working, I decided to do some testing, and figured maybe others can test too to pull some exact figures.

In my test, I did WAR/RDM (has same base HP as /NIN), and used Venom potions to lower my HP, and test the effect with Stoneskin using my leggings (wish I had cap or hands to test easier instead of with spell recast):

My Base HP is 1139, with +20 HP from food. Geared, which is how I tested, is 1235 +20 HP, for a total of 1255 when testing.

At 894 HP, the latent was active, and 893 HP it didn't work.

I have +86HP from armor [items that your character would 'blink' from when equiped/unequiped] (Turban, Dusk Gloves +1, Unicorn Leggings +1) +10HP from accaccessories (Toreador's Ring), 20 food.

By what I can tell, the latent seems to be:

HP > 75% of [Base HP+ (HP from armor)-HP from the Unicorn piece].

In this case, according to the formula, (1139+86-34), or 1191. 1191 -25% (297.75)= 893.25, so when HP = or > 893.25 (or 894 because HP is an integer), the latent is active.

It seems to check out with my setup, and was hoping some other people could confirm or refute this please.

Here's my test. When your HP isnt white, the latent isnt on. Everyone knows yellow is approximately 75% HP.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

And my test showed that I was getting latent even while in yellow, which is why I brought this whole thing up, if you don't want to contribute that's fine, but some people like knowing how things work, not just how to get them to work.

Banned.

BG Level

after extensive testing

int and mab effect magical damage

Quote Originally Posted by Zalius
    after extensive testing

int and mab effect magical damage
    See, thats useful. A couple of HP won't effect wether or not I or anyone else wear Unicorn leggings. All I can see if knowing the EXACT number in which you'd be out of latent, is if you had a macro to equip something else when you're in yellow....which seems like it would just drive you insane anyway. (Trust me, I've tried: it does.) It's nice to know, but in the end it wont affect gameplay, really all I was saying.

Thanks for your opinion Locke. Other people like to know how things actually work.

Narse, I'd expect that other Unicorn pieces work similarly, except perhaps they check different slots. The way that latents on HP seem to be calculated is dependent on the order that FFXI evaluates your equipment. Any equipment that is calculated prior to the latent will affect the exact trigger of that latent. Any equipment that is calculated after the latent won't.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Hmmm.. Interesting. Didn't know about the slot checking.. I don't expect the other pieces to work differently, but I'm unsure as to whether or not my formula is actually correct or if it's just chance it's working for my setup, but the formula is actually different. That's what I'm trying to figure out.

For BLM latent ring, Convert HP>MP is not considered when testing for 75% HP. That is to say, wearing Zenith Mitts, you can be above 75% slightly, and still be in latent. Wearing full zenith, a taru can be at 100% and still have the 75% latent ring, because they are at less than 75% hp (100% of their current HP, but 75% hp discounting convert gear).

Perhaps the same is true of Unicorn? Were you wearing, for example, Cassie Earring?

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

I hate math;(.

Groinlonger
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

I'm pretty sure it's 75% of your HP max. Your HP max is calculated by [Base HP] + [HP + or - gear] + [Food HP]. HP that is converted to MP is not subtracted from this, I'm not sure about MP that is converted to HP.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo
    I'm pretty sure it's 75% of your HP max. Your HP max is calculated by [Base HP] + [HP + or - gear] + [Food HP].
    And I'm POSITIVE that it's not just a straight 75% of max HP. Here's my setup when testing, as WAR/RDM:

Colored Egg (+20 HP, used this to test instead of Sushi since I had it around and it's the same +HP amount)

Woodville Axe, Fire Bomblet
    W. Turban, Peacock Charm, Suppanomimi, Brutal Earring
    Hauberk +1, Dusk Gloves +1, Rajas Ring, Toreador's Ring
    Forager's Mantle, Speed Belt, Byakko's Haidate, Unicorn Leggings +1

I wasn't wearing Cassie Earring, or any other item that has convert MP >> HP, and my HP%, and I was at 72% while retaining latent.

Perhaps +1 has a lower latent trigger point?

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Possible, which is partly why I would like to see if anyone else can test using the formula I've provided, but I seriously doubt that the latent is activated at a lower point for the +1 than the NQ. If it were I'd of expected it to at least be at an integer in the %, but I lose latent at ~71.83% of my max HP

It seems doubtful to me too, but it is "better" in this case (ie the trigger will be active more often with a lower trigger point). There arent many items in the game with latents that have hq versions, and even less that are actually useful, so for all we know, its the norm to have different latent triggers on hq items.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

I tried this with pull HP gear (a little over 1800 HP), while at my base HP of 1139, and the latent was active as well, even though my actual HP % was well in the 60%s, forgot to mention that on my initial post.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/Latent_and_Hidden_Effects

Unicorn Cap/Unicorn Cap +1 STR+4/5 HP > 70%
    Unicorn Harness/Unicorn Harness +1 VIT+6/7 HP > 71%
    Unicorn Mittens/Unicorn Mittens +1 Attack +7/8 HP > 75% (white)
    Unicorn Subligar/Unicorn Subligar +1 Evasion +3/4 HP > 75% (white)
    Unicorn Leggings/Unicorn Leggings +1 Haste +3%/4% HP > 75% (white)

Quote Originally Posted by Kiku
    http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/Latent_and_Hidden_Effects

Unicorn Cap/Unicorn Cap +1 STR+4/5 HP > 70%
    Unicorn Harness/Unicorn Harness +1 VIT+6/7 HP > 71%
    Unicorn Mittens/Unicorn Mittens +1 Attack +7/8 HP > 75% (white)
    Unicorn Subligar/Unicorn Subligar +1 Evasion +3/4 HP > 75% (white)
    Unicorn Leggings/Unicorn Leggings +1 Haste +3%/4% HP > 75% (white)
    That's great, too bad it's not entirely accurate. We're trying to puzzle out the exact conditions here.

Quote Originally Posted by Narse
    I tried this with pull HP gear (a little over 1800 HP), while at my base HP of 1139, and the latent was active as well, even though my actual HP % was well in the 60%s, forgot to mention that on my initial post.
    Dot dot dot. You forgot to mention the fact that you were well into 60% HP and you STILL had the latent? I retract everything I said....but this would have helped in the OP, dontcha think? 74% isnt a big deal, 60% is.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Lockecole
    Quote Originally Posted by Narse
    Dot dot dot. You forgot to mention the fact that you were well into 60% HP and you STILL had the latent? I retract everything I said....but this would have helped in the OP, dontcha think? 74% isnt a big deal, 60% is.
    well like someone mentioned earlier Sorcer's Ring(sp?) is based on naked HP. this would fall in line with that, since even adding +HP You'd still be over your naked 70~% the only way to test this would be to wear any hp~>mp war can equip and see if you can get it to deactivate while at full HP.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by Lockecole
    Here's my test. When your HP isnt white, the latent isnt on. Everyone knows yellow is approximately 75% HP.
    Dunno why you say that, it's interesting knowing exactly how thing work. I remember having trouble figuring the latent 1-2 years ago on unicorn when I got mine. I was getting number ranging from 65% to 75%.