+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Magic Accuracy     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Magic Accuracy

Was reading ffxiclopedia and came accross this..

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/Magic_Accuracy

"MND increases Magic Accuracy for White Magic debuffs, and perhaps for White Magic nukes." is mainly what interested me. This is the first time i've heard that mnd enhanced accuracy for enfeebles and I know this site is usually pretty accurate.. Anyone have more information regarding what effect mind has on whm enfeeble accuracy or any idea how much it effects it?

Physicist
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raineer Severus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Re: Magic Accuracy

Quote Originally Posted by Stellar
    Was reading ffxiclopedia and came accross this..

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/Magic_Accuracy

"MND increases Magic Accuracy for White Magic debuffs, and perhaps for White Magic nukes." is mainly what interested me. This is the first time i've heard that mnd enhanced accuracy for enfeebles and I know this site is usually pretty accurate.. Anyone have more information regarding what effect mind has on whm enfeeble accuracy or any idea how much it effects it?
    Enfeebling skill helps its accuracy more but in absence of skill use MND for white magic enfeebles as it adds potency and accuracy.

As for "how much accuracy", no clue.

MND = Paralyze, Slow
    INT = Gravity, Blind

Edit: My theory is that the MND/INT influence acc/potency but enfeebling skill > all. In slots where u cant get Enf. Skill (ex. Rings) macro swapping can make your spells more effective in theory- but... inventory space

It wouldn't not surprise me if it followed the same stat > skill progression as for DEX > MeleeAccuracy. Which is to say that it's true, but pointless.

With milk. With love
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Cenarion Circle

didn't Septemus mention in a previous post that magic acc. was more or less a generic stand-in for skill?

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

1 Magic.acc = 1 Magic skill in all areas, ele, dark, enfeeb, healing, etc, etc.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Well, it seems that, say, 5 magic accuracy has the same function and effect on performance as 5 skill. As much as Septimus may not like it, it means Wise Cap > Elite Beret.

This is because enfeebling skill in excess of what's required to land the spell does nothing. If you can land it with 276 enfeebling skill, there's no need for 330 enfeebling skill. Instead, the extra enfeebling skill should be swapped out for INT/MND gear. However, since I personally don't have a ton of inventory space, and I'm an Elvaan, I just forget about the INT based enfeebles and worry only about MND.

I have two macros for paralyze and slow. One for resists, and one for potency. The resists macro is just nashira gear and AF body with some random +skill in slots, whereas the potency macro is for errant and other MND gear with minimal +skill except for the things like torque or other slots where there isn't a significant MND boost compared to the skill I'm taking out. If I can land a Para II or Slow II within two or three tries using the potency setup, I'll do that. Otherwise, I'll use the resist setup.

Given that enfeebling skill has no effect on the duration or proc rate (in the case of paralyze) or magnitude (in the case of slow or blind) as stated in that SE interview a long time ago, there's no reason to have more than it takes to land. But it's still nice to have a max +skill build for those situations where its really damn hard to land enfeebles that aren't purely luck based.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlokk
    MND = Paralyze, Slow
    INT = Gravity, Blind

Edit: My theory is that the MND/INT influence acc/potency but enfeebling skill > all. In slots where u cant get Enf. Skill (ex. Rings) macro swapping can make your spells more effective in theory- but... inventory space
    Sorry, i didnt clarify- i typically only play RDM for HNM, and this is theory for HNM where resistances can occur sometimes.

exp pt. rdms could be naked and people wouldnt notice(as far as spell effectiveness is concerned)... except for the fact that youre naked >.>.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by spooky
    Dark magic skill is the exception because it affects the potency of Drain and Aspir as the accuracy. (Not sure how skill affects the potency of the Absorb line.) I think someone said that Magical Accuracy only reduces resistance for Drain and Aspir, not potency.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Quote Originally Posted by Septimus
    Dark magic skill is the exception because it affects the potency of Drain and Aspir as the accuracy. (Not sure how skill affects the potency of the Absorb line.) I think someone said that Magical Accuracy only reduces resistance for Drain and Aspir, not potency.
    I am pretty sure that is the case with all magic skills, the only time you see an increase in potency (due to more skill) is because you were getting partially resisted in the first place.

I am pretty sure that is the case with all magic skills, the only time you see an increase in potency (due to more skill) is because you were getting partially resisted in the first place.
    Dark Skill actually INCREASES the potency of Drain/Aspir spells. Yes it also affect resists.

INT/MND don't have anything to do with accuracy. No one that I've seen has tested magic accuracy but it being equivalent to skill is the most reasonable guess.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Quote Originally Posted by Lockecole
    Dark Skill actually INCREASES the potency of Drain/Aspir spells. Yes it also affect resists.
    Seriously, I really think it only does because you’re getting partial resisted in the first place. I’m open to suggestions though.

Quote Originally Posted by Lockecole
    Seriously, I really think it only does because you’re getting partial resisted in the first place. I’m open to suggestions though.
    Ehh, yeah. What I said still stands, Ninja edit goes.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Khamsin
    Well, it seems that, say, 5 magic accuracy has the same function and effect on performance as 5 skill. As much as Septimus may not like it, it means Wise Cap > Elite Beret.
    http://www.bluegartr.com/forum/viewto ... 96&start=0

I mentioned that Wise Cap is marginally better than Elite Beret, but marginally is a very important term. (Plus Elite Beret +1 are far cheaper and more common than Wise Cap+1.)

The problem with Wise Gear is that there is not enough Magical Accuracy on each piece of the set to make it worth using for the most part. If the head, body, and legs had 10 Magical Accuracy each they would be far less unattractive gear choices. When I see a RDM using a Chasuble to enfeeble it makes me weep for the human race because that is a RDM who has made a conscious decision to be as ignorant as humanly possible about the mechanics of his/her job. It would be like someone wearing a Jaridah Peti instead of a free Adaman Hauberk because he/she doesn't "want to look like everyone else".

Magic accuracy also affects the resist rate of skillchain effect (Mag.Acc. on the skillchain closer being important).

DoT effects have their potency calculations that I can't remember right now.

The gods alone know how all of this works with Blue Magic, especially given the odd effect with other magic skills feeding in that I have read about.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Quote Originally Posted by FFXIFlux
    INT/MND don't have anything to do with accuracy. No one that I've seen has tested magic accuracy but it being equivalent to skill is the most reasonable guess.
    If by accuracy you mean resistance, then I beg to differ. I've certainly seen a big difference INT has on my resists on Kirin in the past, double Etude FTW!

exp pt. rdms could be naked and people wouldnt notice(as far as spell effectiveness is concerned)... except for the fact that youre naked >.>.
    That would be correct... if you ignored that the potency of these enfeebles are based on a mnd or int comparison between you and monster .

Maybe what you mean is differences in resist rates would be difficult to notice?

Also, skill effects the duration of enfeebles (based on a resist coefficient similar to the inverse powers of 2 used for nuke resists), and for DoT enfeebles it can even increase the rate of damage (read: poison).

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Khamsin
    http://www.bluegartr.com/forum/viewto ... 96&start=0

I mentioned that Wise Cap is marginally better than Elite Beret, but marginally is a very important term. (Plus Elite Beret +1 are far cheaper and more common than Wise Cap+1.)

The problem with Wise Gear is that there is not enough Magical Accuracy on each piece of the set to make it worth using for the most part. If the head, body, and legs had 10 Magical Accuracy each they would be far less unattractive gear choices. When I see a RDM using a Chasuble to enfeeble it makes me weep for the human race because that is a RDM who has made a conscious decision to be as ignorant as humanly possible about the mechanics of his/her job. It would be like someone wearing a Jaridah Peti instead of a free Adaman Hauberk because he/she doesn't "want to look like everyone else".
    Well, I wasn't advocating the use of Chasuble or other Wise gear. Just the Wise Cap. RDMs enfeebling in Chasubles make me cringe, too. The only thing Chasuble is fit for is exorcism of ghostly witches.

I just picked on you because of your well known stance on the Wise set. I wasn't being serious. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Codernaut
    That would be correct... if you ignored that the potency of these enfeebles are based on a mnd or int comparison between you and monster .

Maybe what you mean is differences in resist rates would be difficult to notice?

Also, skill effects the duration of enfeebles (based on a resist coefficient similar to the inverse powers of 2 used for nuke resists), and for DoT enfeebles it can even increase the rate of damage (read: poison).
    What i meant is who has time to enfeeble in a xp pt.. Refresh, Haste, Cure, Dia 3... Unless youre PT'ing with another mage (but why?). None of which are gear dependant- unless you feel fast-cast is essential to refresh/haste (even 6 people can be done between recasts), healing magic+mnd gear isnt really that important, and i couldnt be wrong but i dont know if mnd makes dia3's defence down any more potent.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast