+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

Man, this game would rule...

...if I could get my PS2 to stop giving me "Disc read error"

Was playing fine until today, now I can't get it to read ff12 for shit. It played an audio CD fine and reads Hot Shots Golf 3, but FFXII won't load. The disc looks impeccable and hasn't left my PS2 since I bought it.

Halp!

(Yes, I know this is a ridiculous noob topic that doesn't pertain to FF12 specifically, but what have you done to "fix" your crappy old PS2s?)

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

hit it

hard

or make sure the lense is clean, how you might go about it is beyond me, I just replace them as they break XD

This isnt going so well guys.
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Re: Man, this game would rule...

Quote Originally Posted by archibaldcrane
    ...if I could get my PS2 to stop giving me "Disc read error"

Was playing fine until today, now I can't get it to read ff12 for shit. It played an audio CD fine and reads Hot Shots Golf 3, but FFXII won't load. The disc looks impeccable and hasn't left my PS2 since I bought it.

Halp!

(Yes, I know this is a ridiculous noob topic that doesn't pertain to FF12 specifically, but what have you done to "fix" your crappy old PS2s?)
    http://cgi.ebay.com/FIX-Playstation-PS2 ... dZViewItem

I've had mine for going on 4 years, never a disc read error or anything close. I know how lucky I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Po
    I've had mine for going on 4 years, never a disc read error or anything close. I know how lucky I am.
    6 years here and nothing wrong with mine xD

Asada Shino
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tokimi Kurahashi
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos
    WoW Realm
    Burning Blade

when i played EQ for the ps2 I literally had to refurbish my ps2 every single month..it would give me disc read error monthly, i'd call up sony, and would have to take a week or 2 week break because i would be stuck without a ps2 >.> it's screwed up though, i took this master plan and put a little scratch on the ps2, and when they sent it back the scratch was still there in the exact same place with just a different serial number..i took pictures, too. i probably couldve pressed charges but it was sony, so i'm just like screw this. but now my gf has a WORKING ps2 and apparently shes had it for 3 years no issues so im happy D:

ninja edits 4tw: i'm scared to buy a ps3 though for the same kind of stuff that happened with the ps2's happening ._.

This isnt going so well guys.
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

online games kills the ps2, everyone i know who plays online games with there ps2 (fat version) has the disc read error including myself. I have 2 ps2's lol, 1 for FFXI 1 for ps2 games.

I'm on my 4th ps2. Abandon all hope.

Oh I had this happen to mine. I googled something like "fix a ps2" and the very first link was how to fix my model for my error. It involved opening it up and simply turning one gear a few times to adjust the lends angle. It's worked fine ever since.

http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/hardware/ps2.ars

If you have the same model I'd check it out =D

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

I would recommend changing the orientation of the PS2. If it normally lays flat stand it upright, maybe turn it upside down. That works for mine sometimes. I have to reset my console 5-6 times each time I want to play FFXII.

On a side note, I wanted to play FFXI on my PS2. I couldnt get my HD to work. After a week of messing around I called sony. They offered to fix it for free, even though I voided the warrenty. It made no sense, until I looked at the part that connects the PS2 to the Network adaptor. On my friends, there was a plastic center with 20 or so copper connections. On mine, there was no copper connections, just plastic. Anyways I got a good kick out of that one

Mine didn't give me trouble till I got God of War, which it wouldn't read. Cracked it open, gave the lense a wipe, slapped it back together, and has worked fine on everything since.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

from what I've experienced the only reliable fix for disc read errors is to crack the case open (need a good screwdriver, a boxcutter to remove the warranty seal and nimble hands) and use compressed air to get all the dust out of the machine, and to give the lens a good cleaning with one of those dvd cleaner kits once you've reassembled it.

When you're done with that, and are still having disc read errors, buy a new PS2. You can fuck around with the laser voltage if you want but I wouldn't bother, you're just buying yourself an extra month if that.

Old Merits
    BG Level

I'm on my 3rd PS2, they're pieces of shit, just like the old PS1s, and every other piece of Sony brand consumer electronics I've ever owned. Sony sucks. Just wish all PS1/2/3 games played on Wii or something...

My ps1 lasted 7 years, I have nothing negative to say about it except it needed to be vertical to play Legend of Legaia

Old Merits
    BG Level

My PS1 had to be played vertically too, and I called it a piece of shit. Different strokes.

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Kurohyou
    Mine didn't give me trouble till I got God of War, which it wouldn't read. Cracked it open, gave the lense a wipe, slapped it back together, and has worked fine on everything since.
    Same story here basically. Never had a problem with it until I tried to install ToA, then got disc read errors. Some discs would work, some wouldn't. I just opened it up and blew all the dust out and it ended up working fine.

I've had the same PS2 since the launch, too.

I had that problem too, and lol at the people who've bought new ps2's just because of a disc read error.

You're getting that because of 2 possible reasons. 1) you have dust on the laser reader or 2) you are having power issues with your ps2.

1) is very easy to fix and you can do so very simply in the comfort of your home, and 2) a little more in-depth but can be done.

for 1)
    You'll need 2 screwdrivers, 1 normal size phillups and 1 jewelry size (very very small head). First thing you do, is turn it upside down, and unscrew the bottom, make sure that you note which screws come from where, as there 2 longer ones, and some small, if you try to force a longer one through the wrong hole later, you could destroy your ps2.

After you've removed the screws, you're going to have to push the top portion out a little from the disc tray area, so that it doesn't get caught on the buttons when you slide it off. Also, the top is connected via a little wire to teh disc tray, so don't go trying to tear it off, slide it to the side and sort of open as if you were opening the cover of a book. That part can be tricky, just take your time with it and you'll figure it out. After you have the top off, just set it to the side next to the main console portion of the ps2.

This is where you need the jewelry cleaner screwdriver, there are very little screws on the coverplate where the disc laser is, you'll have to unscrew that, then gently remove it so that you can see the disc read laser. It is recommended to have q-tips and rubbing alcohol to clean it, or an air can to blow the dust away. If you use the q-tip and alcohol, swab the q-tip, not to much, just enough to get it moist, then run it over the disc laser in a circular motion with very little pressure. (i just used air to blow the dust away and it worked fine). once you're done, rub a dry q-tip over it very gently to dry it, you don't wanna leave fluids inside your ps2 while you're running it.

After you clean it, get as much dust out of the rest of the console as well just using the air can, it collects a lot and it'll help the ps2 last longer til it's next clean up. Then put it back together the way you took it apart and voila, you have a ps2 that's good as new.

I saw a perhaps more in-detail walk through of this online but i can't remember where for the life of me. This is more or less what you need to do though. I can't stress enough though to be careful when taking the cover off, don't force it. Try to get a feel for which way it is going to come off before you start getting forceful with it.

The power problem one is a bit more complex and i don't remember the steps for that (cause i didn't do that one). But if you search online hard enough i'm sure you'll come across something. If it's neither of those than perhaps you do gotta send it back to sony.

Hope this helps.

STR-1 DEX-1
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Kujata

Gamefaqs of all places has a pretty good walkthrough on how to clean the ps2 lens.

Very Sexy Nerd
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

I just recently got a new PS2 (2nd)

My old one had been doing disc read errors for a long time, but cleaning the lens and having it up-right kept it working for a while longer...

Until that bitch scratched my tales of the abyss cd while playing it to the point where nothing I try can fix the damn dvd so I can continue playing it /emo

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

i got a few disc errors , but standing up my PS2 vertically seems to have fixed everything... i dunno just my 2 cents ;o