View Poll Results: What you think of XII?

Voters
161. You may not vote on this poll
  • Best Final Fantasy ever made

82 50.93%
  • Great but 7 was better

43 26.71%
  • Worst FF ever

6 3.73%
  • 6 was better because kefka hates you

13 8.07%
  • 4 was better because kain rox

5 3.11%
  • 5 had jorbs!

0 0%
  • XI is the best can I add you to my friends list

4 2.48%
  • 1-2-3 old skewl

0 0%
  • 8... emosqual ftw

5 3.11%
  • 9 was yay

3 1.86%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: What you think of XII     submit to reddit submit to twitter

The Once and Future Wamoura
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

Where is Tactics on the poll?

10 also missing but what do you expect, poll was originally "is 12 best? is 7 best? is 12 worst?"
    and then I said 9 had no story and we have arrived here

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Poll would be better organized if you stopped trying to compare it one by one to the other FFs. They all have strengths and weaknesses brought upon them by the limitations of the platform involved. Everything you remember loving about graphically inferior RPGs is more than made up for by superior storytelling and emotionally charged music (<3 uematsu tunes).

Try:

Option A: Top 3 FF game of all time!
    Option B: Not my favorite FF game, but not bad.
    Option C: I feel like I'm outgrowing the FF RPG experience because of this game.

Easy to fall into one of those three camps, or to feel somewhat split between camp A and C. I don't really see myself playing XIII in its various incarnations on the lolps3 thanks to the ridiculous wait/return ratio for XII. When I consider how epic it was to play through IV and VI on my SNES, and VII/VIII/IX on my playstation, I feel somewhat letdown by the X/XII combo. The PS2 FF games strike me as the weakest in the bunch, but that might be a product of my being that much older and more cynical, and finding more fault now than I would have when I was 15 years old.

I didn't hate X or XII, I think they're great games and I loved playing them but they don't give me the same OMFG for my dollar that previous-generation console FFs did.

Enough babbling, FFXII is great but not the best FF game (*cough* 4 and 6 are the best).

only possible way to make 6 better is to give it ps2-type graphics (from the beginning, not some lame ass remake), and 4 is about as good. I like T better than 4, but meh. 12 definitely ranks up there though.

Quote Originally Posted by divisortheory
    Seventh Saga was the hardest shit I've ever played in my life lol. But I guess you could say more boring than hard. At each city, in order to move to the next city you had to spend at least 6-7 hours of pure grinding in order to be strong enough to take the mobs in the next area.
    I agree, I wound up beating Seventh Saga after a long period of time, Iw as in highschool at the time. It really prepped me for the workethic needed for FF11, lol.

Black Belt
    BG Level

i beat 7th Saga 5 times and watched my brother beat it 3 times.

it's like every time you step out of a cave, they sent you back to where you came from with a beatdown that said "GO LEVEL MORE".

---

i need more time in the day to play XII to determine how good it is, two weeks and i just got out of KRT.

definitely liking it better than 7-9 so far.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

XII was a great game overall, I liked the battle style because it could always be interesting and the fights never really got boring. Also the fact that the gambits could take control over the meaningless tasks in the game. The ATB battle system was also pretyt genius because it seemed so seemless going from the field to the battlefield and I liked that alot.

The only down side with this game was the story... I liked about 90% of it but later in the game near the end I felt as if something was missing from the game. I didnt really figure it out until I was fighting the final boss and that was the element of surprise in the game.
    for example in FFX did you expect the fact that the final Aeon would kill the summoner? In FF9 did you expect Zidane to have been born to destroy the world? it was plot twists like that, that made the FF games really special to me because I knew that something really big would come out of nowhere and change the whole plot of the game. But XII didn't really deliver in that field and thats what I felt it really lacked. Most of the game was just "we need this to prove who you are" "talk to him to avoid war" and it followed that sort of story throughout the game.
    Don't get me wrong I had alot of fun with this game and I think SE is on the right track in terms of the FF series but I feel that this game itself lacked something in the story that really attracted me to the FF games. I would like to see a blend of the battle style along with a interesting story, but we will have to wait until 13 comes out.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by Lbelle
    I thought FF9 had a very mature story, and it is still my favorite game to this day. People always bitch and complain about the graphics of 9 saying they're kiddy, but when you actually play the game nothing could be farther from the truth. I love 9 though, so I always feel the need to stick up for it in these types of threads. And maybe that's why I loved 12's story so much, because it was similar to 9 in many ways.

But on most terms I agree with Seph.YuX, the game was very easy. Kaylia, yeah, most games have that one spell that are overpowered, but not at SUCH an EARLY point in the game. You can get curaja veeeeeeryyyy early on in the game, whereas in most FFs the retarded overpowered shit you really have to work for, or they're available closer to the end of the game as to not imbalance the whole thing. Atleast that's my experience. :D Hope I didn't make anyone mad with this tldr post.
    I agree about FF9, game wasn't for kid more than any other. I never understood why people hated it so much when story was more than decent, especially when near the end of the 3rd disk, music was great and it was one of the best looking world.

Where do you get Curaja? I'm 60 hours in and still don't have it. >_> In any case, I dont think it's fair to say this one is easier than other. I never got game over more than once or twice in 7,8,9, 10 (excluding post game boss) and most of those game over screens were caused by cheap shot that couldnt be expected. It's not "challenging", just "annoying". Most fight are straigth forward (raise dead character, cure wounded and attack when it's safe...can throw a few status cure) I'm sure a 5 line gambit could beat 98% of the game

So far in FFXII, I've died over 15 times, usually after long ass fight where I used everything I had (not counting the fight solo early against monsters way way way above my level >_>). Fight like gilsnapper took me 2 tries and 30min each at level 21 (last 20% were a bitch), ring wyrm was also a pain around the same level. That esper with 4 undead summon killed me too at 1-2% around lv 30. Well, I guess you could just run away most of the time when thing goes ugly, but there is no point when you just saved before a boss fight.

It's true story boss arent very challenging, but I'm sure they would if I wouldnt sidetrack all the time. That said, previous FF never allowed you to side track like FFXII did, so its hard to compare.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaylia
    most of those game over screens were caused by cheap shot that couldnt be expected. It's not "challenging", just "annoying".
    Malboro ambush >:(
    I think through FF12 I had full death once in the henne mines hard side and once on nidhogg. Like kaylia said deaths never really seem to occur unless you run into something crazy/new and get obliterated by something goofy, but my 2 deaths in ff12 were caused by me getting owned legit. I think in FF9 I had one game over because I found a plateau I hadn't been to and ended up running into some Fafnir-looking dragons that owned my face with Lv5death. There's no way to get around crap like that if you're not expecting it. FFX had malboro ambushes in omega ruins which could be lights out if they landed confusion, and poison in that game was 25% your max hp so 4 turns of confusion and if you don't just chop yourself in half the poison gets you.

Playing ff3 ds so far I haven't had game over but I've come bloody near.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Soon I'll actually be able to vote on this damn poll. Mod set get! Gonna go play now, see you all in a week, lol.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5