+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Chain Level     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Chain Level

What causes chain to rise to the next level? Sometimes I get a Chain Level after Chain 8 or 9, sometimes it takes me up to 15, 20, or 25. Sometimes I get Chain Level 2 around Chain 30, sometimes 60, sometimes 70. How can I minimize the amount of chains necessary at which Chain Level will increase?

BTW, what's the highest chain level?

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Chain level increase seems completely random. I've gotten lv up on as low as 7.

I think it caps out at chain 999. Never taken it that far personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Correction
    Chain level increase seems completely random. I've gotten lv up on as low as 7.

I think it caps out at chain 999. Never taken it that far personally.
    I meant the highest chain level, not highest chain. I've had 4 i think. Where the coins turn bright shiny platinum color.

Pretty sure the highest level is 4. I've had chain 150+ and never seen symbols above the big bright reddish/white looking coin.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Chain levels go from 0-3, so yeah once you level up 3 times you're at max.

Consulting my Ultimania guide the chances of level up are calculated on chance:

Code:
    Chain level 0

6 kills       40%
     7 kills       60%
     8 kills       80%
     9 kills       90%
    10 kills      100%

Chain level 1

6 kills since level up       20%
     7 kills since level up       30%
     8 kills since level up       50%
     9 kills since level up       60%
    10 kills since level up      100%

Chain level 2

6 kills since level up       10%
     7 kills since level up       20%
     8 kills since level up       30%
     9 kills since level up       40%
    10 kills since level up      100%
    Where the % represents the chances that your chain level will increase. Once you're at Chain level 3 (max) you won't advance again.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

i dont think thats true.. ive gone 20+ kills without getting chain level 1...
    are you sure the minimum number of kills to level up is 6? cause i thought i saw i leveled up just after a few kills in this really tough place..

i think the harder the monsters you fight.. the quicker it is to get chain levels..

side note.. dunno if this has been discussed.. but does the flashing text mean anything? i used to think it meant a chain level was comming up soon.. but often the next kill the flashing would disappear.. and i'd have to kill some more mobs before i get a level...

usually flashing occurs when i kill alot of mobs in a very short amount of time.. but not always...

blax n gunz
    BG Level

oops, my Japanese needs brushing up.

The game divides your 'chain mode' based on whether or not you've chained a mob at all. If you have entered a Chain of 1 or more, the game uses a flowchart I can't represent here, but you have a 5% chance of entering what's referred to as 'Chance Mode,' during which and only during which the % chart I posted earlier applies.

When in Chance Mode you have a 60% chance after every kill of remaining in Chance Mode, and a 40% chance of falling out of it, at which point you must wait for that 5% chance of re-entering Chance Mode before you get another shot at levelling up.

Note that the kills in Chance Mode need not necessarily be made contiguously. If you enter Chance Mode and kill 9 mobs without a level up, then lose Chance Mode, you only need to kill one more mob in Chaince Mode for the 100% level up chance.

That about covers it, I think.

Edit: 'Chance Mode' is when the chain number is flashing white instead of the usual green/blue/yellow/orangey red colors.

Edit2: More footnotes say that if you chain 31 and are still at level 0 the game gives you level 1 automatically. The threshold for the 'pity' level 2 is 51, and for level 3 is 81.

That fucking blows, lol. Sounds about right though >.> I'll see if I can calculate "expected number of mobs to level up" in a little bit.

Edit2: More footnotes say that if you chain 31 and are still at level 0 the game gives you level 1 automatically. The threshold for the 'pity' level 2 is 51, and for level 3 is 81.
    Not sure if I believe that, pretty sure I've chained higher than 51 and still been level 1.

Edit: Actually I know it's wrong, cuz the other day I got Chain Level 3 when I was higher than Chain 100.

I used 31, 51, and 101 for the "pity chains" since they correspond about to what I've seen and what I found by searching around on other fourms. If those are accurate, and if the 5% / 60% numbers are accurate which I still question, then your expected level ups will occur on Chain 29, Chain 51, and Chain 96.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

oh ok... i think that makes a bit more sense now

just a question though.. can you get a chain level without ever seeing the flashing text? (assuming it'd have to be a really low % chance)

regarding divisortheory's proposed numbers on expected level ups... that sounds about right for chain 1/2
    i thought i reached level 3 many times earlier than chain 90, but im starting to second guess myself since i usually dont farm for that long.. i need to level up some tonight and get revenge on chuchulain, so i'll keep that number in mind while im exping and see if its close

Quote Originally Posted by safer
    regarding divisortheory's proposed numbers on expected level ups... that sounds about right for chain 1/2
    i thought i reached level 3 many times earlier than chain 90, but im starting to second guess myself since i usually dont farm for that long..
    Me too actually, that's why I question the numbers. The reason the expected level up occurs so close to the pity mark is almost entirely due to the 5% chance to enter "chance mode". I mostly question the 5% number. If you change it to 10%, for example, you get expected levelups on Chain 26, Chain 48, and Chain 85.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Reminds me of this classic quote, from The Naked Gun:

Doctors say that Nordberg has a 50 - 50 chance of living, though there's only a 10 percent chance of that.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

I was wrong.

Divisortheory is mostly right.

Re-examined the print of my ultimania guide yet again and missed the から for the 'pity threshold.' I'll translate it in full here.

1. If you have reached Chain 31 without a level up, you will automatically gain Chain Level 1
    2. If, since reaching Chain Level 1, you chain an additional 51 monsters without gaining a level up, you will automatically gain Chain Level 2
    3. If, since reaching Chain Level 2, you chain an additional 81 monsters without gaining a level up, you will automatically gain Chain Level 3.
    This means the absolute worst you'll end up is waiting until Chain 163 before seeing Chain Level 3 pop up. Which would suck for certain zones/mob types.

I dug up an old scanner and am tempted to scan in the 3 pages relating to chains the ultimania guide provides. That way if I ever mistranslate something again someone else can point it out sooner.

29, 72, and 133 are your expected level-ups in that case.

This is sounding a bit more accurate now

Edit: I Know this is completely stupid at this point, but I was really bored at work today, and I don't like to quit as you can see. According to this program I wrote:

Average number of chains to level up:
    From Level 0->1 - 29 chains
    From Level 1->2 - 44 chains
    From Level 2->3 - 61 chains

On average, you will reach Chain Level 1 on Chain 29
    On average, you will reach Chain Level 2 on Chain 72
    On average, you will reach Chain Level 3 on Chain 133

The fastest you will ever reach Chain Level 1 is on Chain 6, 0.25% of the time.
    The fastest you will ever reach Chain Level 2 is on Chain 11, 0.00031% of the time.
    The fastest you will ever reach Chain Level 3 is on Chain 16, 0.00004% of the time.

The slowest you will ever reach Chain Level 1 is on Chain 31, 78.39% of the time.
    The slowest you will ever reach Chain Level 2 is on Chain 82, 48.49% of the time.
    The slowest you will ever reach Chain Level 3 is on Chain 163, 0.28% of the time.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

I've done Chain 500 on the Yensa guys in the Ogir-Yensa Sandea when I was level 10 ->17.. I got bored of chaining so I saved and moved on.

Asada Shino
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tokimi Kurahashi
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos
    WoW Realm
    Burning Blade

wth..bored much? >_>

Hayleystrator