Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tech Help Logging in     submit to reddit submit to twitter

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

Tech Help Logging in

I tried to search for this but I could not find any topics. I just got a new Video card today a BFG GeForce 7800 GS OC AGP and after I installed it in my computer when I try to log in to FFXI I get the error:

"Terminated as error occurred in FINAL FANTASY XI. Failed to initialize Direct3D. Please check that this computer has the required specifications to run FINAL FANTASY XI. (-1)"

This is the same computer I have always used for FFXI and the only thing that changed was my video card. Please help if you have any ideas.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

did you install the latest drivers?

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

yeah after i got the video card working at least in default settings i went online and down loaded the newest drivers off http://www.nvidia.com

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

reinstall directx9c.

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

i did a fresh install of directx 9 and it still wasnt working so i went into the PoL utility thing and messed around with some of the settings and now it works... not exactly sure why. basically all i did was up all the resolution settings to max. not sure how but its working now

thanks for the responses and ideas though Zigma.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

type in dxdiag in run and run the test that are there.

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

i am just having a ton of computer issues right now. now my 2005FPW dell widescreen lcd monitor will not come out of its sleep mode if i have it hooked to my computer with DVI-D cable but it works fine with VGA cable. i am on the phone with dell tech support i think they are going to have to replace my monitor.

this is the worst time too since finals are comming up. such is life. when i get a chance i will run the diagnostic thing.

Quote Originally Posted by zoobernut
    dell
    There's your problem right there. Dell are ok if you leave them exactly as Dell built them, and no more than ok. Once you start to upgrade hardware you're entering a minefield.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Popeh Stein
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Just a quickie-

You havn't gone from using Windower to regular client have you?

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Not all NVIDIA drivers and cards are supported by FFXI. For instance, when I got a 5950 and then upgraded it to the latest drivers, FFXI stopped working. Turns out FFXI *only* works with the 5-series cards using one particular old version of the drivers.

The impression I got after talking to NVIDIA and SE was that each one thinks it's the other's fault. My own feeling is that it's all NVIDIA's. If it works with one driver and then you change the driver and things stop working, then that driver is broken. There's really nothing you can do about if you're not willing to write and maintain your own driver, though. C'est la vie.

So, check SE's graphics card and driver version compatibility list. Make SURE you are using precisely the version specified on the list. Other versions (both older and newer) might have serious problems. You definitely do NOT want "the latest" drivers. FFXI has special needs. ; ;

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

i think you just purchased a lemon video card.

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

well my life is a mess right now i had to move this weekend so my internet was down. the update is that i called dell and the monitor is still under warranty so they are going to replace it.

(only the monitor is dell i always build my own computers because its cheaper and more fun.)

hopefully i will get everything back online asap. i am at a friends house right now posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Okuza
    Not all NVIDIA drivers and cards are supported by FFXI. For instance, when I got a 5950 and then upgraded it to the latest drivers, FFXI stopped working. Turns out FFXI *only* works with the 5-series cards using one particular old version of the drivers.

The impression I got after talking to NVIDIA and SE was that each one thinks it's the other's fault. My own feeling is that it's all NVIDIA's. If it works with one driver and then you change the driver and things stop working, then that driver is broken. There's really nothing you can do about if you're not willing to write and maintain your own driver, though. C'est la vie.

So, check SE's graphics card and driver version compatibility list. Make SURE you are using precisely the version specified on the list. Other versions (both older and newer) might have serious problems. You definitely do NOT want "the latest" drivers. FFXI has special needs. ; ;
    I had a similar problem with my 5500 card and the newest detonator drivers- i was getting a conflict with HL2 saying my card wasnt signed with w/e M$ cert thing, but it worked- after updating i was getting really wierd anomolies in FFXI things would dissapear at random, very buggy. Ended up doing a driver rollback and it worked fine again.

(Sorry not really related, but yea... ffxi can be really picky with your video drivers)