Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Puppetmaster
    BG Level

What kind of Monitor Card you are using?

I use NIVIDIA GetForce FX 5500 Its not really that good and I'd like to change it so if anyone has any suggestions of better piece please reply thank you

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Its called a "Video Card".

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Wrong forum. If you are going to ask, you need to put what else you have and what you are planning to play with it. Also, wrong forum.

St. Fiat
    THE TIME FOR QUESTIONS
    HAS PASSED

BG Level

newegg.com

More $ = better quality.

Go.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Alleya
    newegg.com

More $ = better quality.

Go.
    Thats it in a nutshell, the general rule is that you get what you pay for. You arent going to spend $150 bucks on a video card and get mind blowing performance.

I use 2 7800 GTX in SLI but... its totally useless for FFXI... you wouldnt really need that if FFXI is your purpose. (Not that you can find 7800s anymore, 79xx series is out and very good).

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Makes me wonder, what's best for improving FFXI performance if you had a relatively solid system.

Jumping from (in my case) P4 2.66GHz to 3.0 seems like it wouldn't be earthshattering.

Can't see a need for over 1GB of RAM, but probably using something faster than PC2700 would help.

Being stuck with AGP, and how minimal FFXI uses the video card, moving from a Geforce 6600 to something higher (if there is much higher than that for AGP) seems minimal too.

Best FFXI hardware boost I got with my system was making my ram all PC2700 and syncing the buses (same ram size/speed in all slots), which got 10% increase in the FFXIBench...

I dunno, just thought I'd throw out my thoughts and make the topic a bit more FFXI related

XBox 360

An Efficient Consumption Bundle
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elyise Thierremont
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Muradin

Given that FFXI is so poorly coded and optimized for the PC there's not really anything that modern video cards can offer to boost FFXI's performance. Best way to reduce system lag and allow you to crank up the visuals using registry edits is to get a faster CPU and gobs of RAM.

nVidia cards are particularly susceptible to the infamous Bard Song/Firaga slowdown. ATi cards are slightly better in that regard, but I still get some bogging with this 512MB x1600 card. I still experience game lurching during dust storms even with 25+fps just because the game engine itself has such a crappy particle renderer.

Nevertheless, even with the extremely low texture quality FFXI's gameworld artwork just oozes personality and keeps us enthralled day after day.

from what i understand, CPU heavily affects the performance of FFXI, moreso than video card.

Banned.

BG Level

i use the one thats in my computer

I've been saving up for a year now, and just recently purchased 2x Nvidia 8800 gtx cards.

Banned.

BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kinto
    I've been saving up for a year now, and just recently purchased 2x Nvidia 8800 gtx cards.
    it took you a year to make ~a grand?

GET A JOB KINTO >/

That's not the only thing I bought for my new rig lol, stop trolling forums you noob BLM.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by -Zynk-
    Its called a "Video Card".
    lol

Hayleystrator
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

...I hope you plan on running some NASA and Lucas Films shit with your system or you just wasted a lot of money.

i think im running a budget geforce 6600 128 mb card, it runs the game extremely well- i think my other comp has a fx5500 and it can run 4 instances at once too.. soo.. i dont think you really need a new card FOR FFXI. If you wanna do video editing, or some of the newer extreme FPS it might be worthwhile- but even the 5500 gets max FPS with the HL2 engine. Both machines are over 2GHZ with dual channel matched ram (512x2), and running RAID0... Your system is only as fast as the weakest link- and in most cases its not your video card.

Quote Originally Posted by Epical
    ...I hope you plan on running some NASA and Lucas Films shit with your system or you just wasted a lot of money.
    Yeah, I go to art school which uses process/GPU heavy programs. And I'm a hobbyist; Go to conventions and shit to show off my E-Penis. I have contacts through my parents, 423 dollars off final GPU price is pretty nifty. <3

Quote Originally Posted by Epical
    Yeah, I go to art school which uses process/GPU heavy programs. And I'm a hobbyist; Go to conventions and shit to show off my E-Penis. I have contacts through my parents, 423 dollars off final GPU price is pretty nifty. <3
    can you ship to lolCanada?

Banned.

BG Level

Haha, monitor card. That's like someone saying "Don't forget to rewind your videogames".

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

i have an ATi X800pro 256mb on my main rig. It is a bit outdated compared to the video cards out there but still runs almost anything you throw at it.

It's not worth getting a new video card now unless you reaaaally have to. DX10 cards are hitting the market.

My laptop has a Gforce fx 5650 128mb.