Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Shellra V question~     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Ashira

Shellra V question~

Has any WHM with more than 1 merit in this tested this vs another WHM with only 1 merit?

That is, if you have 2 or 3 merits in Shellra V, and cast on your party, and then another WHM who is 1) stupid, b) an attention whore and wants to be the one to be important to the party, c) not paying attention at all, or d) afk casts Shellra V on the same party with only 1 merit, will it overwrite and you lose that 5 extra mag.def, or will it say the Shell has no effect?

Was asked of me today and I just didn't have an answer to give; haven't been in a 2 WHM in 1 PT situation since I last ran Baha as WHM and obviously wasn't thinking to test then.

The Optimistic Asshole
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

pretty sure it overwrites, but the difference between fully meritted and 1 merit is 2MDB...each merit is 1MDB, not 2.

imo a whitemage will benefit more using the merits on something like devotion(max!), and getting protectra5.

I maxed devotion and got P5 on an LS mule lawl... (my whm onry 66;; )

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlokk
    imo a whitemage will benefit more using the merits on something like devotion(max!), and getting protectra5.
    I maxed devotion and got P5 on an LS mule lawl... (my whm onry 66;; )
    Sorry but Pro5 fails. Name one thing that extra DEF would make a difference on? There is a lot of DEF/VIT/HP+ gear to make up for Pro5 but not so much MD gear. Max Shell5 FTW.

The God Damn Kuno
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Shellra5 is like 4000 times better then Protectra5.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

The diffrence between Protectra 5 and Shellra 5 is that while 5 defence has a very questionable effect, 5 MDB gives roughly -5% magic damage.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Thrall

devotion and shellra 5 ftw

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Not Kuno
    Shellra5 is like 4000 times better then Protectra5.
    You are wrong, look at his hat. Anyone with maat's cap knows the game inside and out.

.. and the last player i met with 6 Lv 75 jobs called for help on Hydra..

The Optimistic Asshole

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

Quote Originally Posted by XxSlusherxx
    The diffrence between Protectra 5 and Shellra 5 is that while 5 defence has a very questionable effect, 5 MDB gives roughly -5% magic damage.
    Unless im totally lost on something, shellra V fully upgraded is only 3MDB over shellra IV?

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/6773/shellravgn2.jpg

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

I think 4 MDB over it... I thought it was like this, don't quote me though:

Shell 1: 5MDB
    Shell 2: 10MDB
    Shell 3: 15MDB
    Shell 4: 20MDB
    Lv1 Shell 5: 22 MDB
    Lv2 Shell 5: 23 MDB
    Lv3 Shell 5: 24 MDB

Quote Originally Posted by Tyche
    Quote Originally Posted by XxSlusherxx
    Unless im totally lost on something, shellra V fully upgraded is only 3MDB over shellra IV?

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/6773/shellravgn2.jpg
    think he's referring to initial bonus, pro V has only 5 more defense than Pro 4 on 1st merit, probably same on shell V

Relic Shield
    BG Level

I wrote that badly, because I don't really know what the amount is, more or less my point is, 1 MDB has a much stronger effect than 1 def, to say that even 5 def is even equal to -1% physical damage is completly untrue, where most will agree 1 MDB does have this effect

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Tamashii
    And what the hell is this suppose to mean???

Quote Originally Posted by Sethil
    that having 4890343 lvl 75 jobs doesn't mean you're a good player or even 1/2 way intelligent.

Quote Originally Posted by Kainen
    Quote Originally Posted by Sethil
    that having 4890343 lvl 75 jobs doesn't mean you're a good player or even 1/2 way intelligent.
    a great example of this is in hades, a player named Carlosx with 10 or 11? lv 75 jobs. ...... no comment. im sure here people from hades know's who he is.

still, the debate remains unanswered: is it worth further meriting shellra V? coz i would like to know as well, with some concrete proof and numbers.

IMO.

Shellra V 2 times. Devotion 3 times to use it as much as possible. Martyr once to use whenever its needed in an urgent situation.

Protectra V sucks. Get over the joy of having a new spell and realize you'll never get a use out of 5 defence.

Ashira

Well, the basic idea in meriting Shellra V over Protectra is that mag.def. (and sorry I mixed up the numbers, I was thinking of that difference of 5 between IV and V that is visible on Protectra) will be more beneficial in the end than DEF. DEF and VIT are kinda broken stats in this game. If they worked the way you'd think they were supposed to and, I'd like to think, were intended, you wouldn't see tanks... well, PLDs mostly... touting HP > DEF/VIT.

Unless they just want the less DEF and more HP to be able to have more HP to cure on themselves for hate?

Because as we all know, PLDs can ONLY cure themselves.

I think, too, magic defense bonuses also prove more useful because of how many TP moves and such have magic base to them, not to mention just how much Magic Defense builds have proven worthwhile on specific mobs, etc.

As to proof, I don't have much to offer. It's just generally accepted among the better WHMs and better tanks I know, Shellra > Protectra.

And as to maxing Devotion; lovely in theory, but I can wait on that until more merits are offered. Not sure about 'max' either, I haven't been in situations yet that really called for it more often than its current timer. We all learned how to do our jobs without such at this point; now it's a luxury. Doesn't mean I don't want a shorter timer, but I just see other things as more important.

Hmm, perhaps it'd have been more amusing if I just answered "Shellra because who needs DEF since every tank subs NIN for everything now hahah," yeah?

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Quote Originally Posted by Lockecole
    IMO.

Shellra V 2 times. Devotion 3 times to use it as much as possible. Martyr once to use whenever its needed in an urgent situation.

Protectra V sucks. Get over the joy of having a new spell and realize you'll never get a use out of 5 defence.
    I'd be more a fan of just Shellra V x 3 and Devotion x3. But this isn't a bad strat either.

Defense, especially in amounts of 5, will do absolutely nothing. MDB is extremely useful, in a melee party, in a mage party, in tank pt, in many fights everyone gets hit by magical attacks at some point.