+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Sea Torques
    BG Level

Final Fantasy Tactics Question - Spoilers

First off, this game is amazing, I haven't been this involved or had this many Game Overs in a game since I was like 10 years old.

I don't know where else to ask this. I'm at the solo fight fight against Weigraf/Velius in Chapter 3, I think it's battle #31. FAQ's just give descriptions of how the author fought Weigraf, with little info for Velius.

This fight is really pissing me off, I'm 0/6 now. Weigraf is no prob, it's Velius that gets me. I don't last more than two or three turns, and most of that is just damage control, trying to keep people alive, and I don't get more than ~400HP of damage in before I'm wiped out. It was a bitch move for Square to make a save point right before this fight, now I'm stuck here.

My line up is this:
    Ramza - 27 - Monk/Guts - Regenerator, Move-HP UP, Equip Armor
    Mustadio - 25 - Engineer/Chemist
    27 - Ninja/Guts - 2 Katana's - Counter - Concentrate...
    22 - Black Mage/Chemist - (Nothing useful really)
    25 - White Mage/Chemist - All WHM spells - Regenerator - MagicDef UP

Most of my equipment just gives extra Move, Jump, and Attack. What kind of equip would absorb some of the Summon Magic/Dark Holy/Giga Flare that Velius and his goonies use? Is there any particular reason that Reflect Ring doesn't work against summon magic? Also, for Ninja, what other things would be good to unlock, right now I just have Shuriken.

Many thanks, in advance.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

I think that was the fight i casted yell a billion times on Ramza or whatever the speed move was.

I am playing through this game again (4th time, it's probably my favorite FF) let me read through your post and give you pointers. just a sec. just a sidenote, this is easily one of the hardest fights in the entire game.

Ok, this fight is all about killing him FAST. Your level is sufficient so it IS possible to win. hoever, your setup isn't exactly ideal. It's really hard to play this fight defensively since all of your enemies have ranged magic attacks and AoE summons. Velius really doesn't have much HP, 700-900 at the most. Your ninja should be able to move quickly and a decent distance. Try to set him up to get at least a double sword hit on Velius. Also, white mage is kinda tough for this fight, not very useful because of how fast everyone dies. All I can say is, anticipate a Raise. Send a guy to Velius, expect him to die, when it's your white mage's turn, start casting raise on a character even if it's not dead. I've found that to be useful for me in this fight. also, move your casters/ weaker characters to the side walls on the other side of the water, keep your strong guys on the stairs.

What this does, in some cases, the Archaic Demons will target the weaker characters on the wall, which occupies them. That way you have more room to attack Velius head on with little interference. hoever, your weaker ones will go down in one turn more than likely, so deal as much damage as possible. your ninja should be strong as hell with his armor and swords (assuming you are wearing the power sleeve and twist headband (total +4 phys). I had a dual-wielding geomancer that was easily doing 160 a hit on the demons and around 200 on Velius (however, this could have been a zodiac factor. If you haven't already noticed, compatability is everything. This fight was extra tough for me because my birthday is March 18, making me a Pisces. Also a charatcer I based on myself was a Pisces as well. Wiegraf/Velius is a worst compatability for Male Pisces characters.)

Even being prepared for this fight, It's still tough. I say save on a separate memory file for future fights like these. Just keep at it until you get lucky. Good luck bro, any further questions I'm happy to answer!

If you have an earlier save, I'd suggest working on that and getting some Lancers (loldrg) in your team. That fight is pure hell if you don't have any whatsoever. On my first time through, I was stuck at the exact same boss. I had to restart the game because I had no earlier saves, and it was quite frankly impossible to do with my party. No lancers= slim chance.

He's right. My ideal melee character is a knight.

Job: Knight
    Battle Skill (bleh)
    Jump
    Blade grasp (700JP on Sam job) (basically your Brave factor becomes your eva%)
    Two Swords (900JP on Ninja)
    Teleport (600JP on Time Mage) or Move +3 (1000JP on Bard job)

or if you like 2-hand weapons

Job: Lancer
    Jump
    Punch art (yay free revives and chakra!)
    Blade Grasp
    Two hands (Samurai 900JP)
    Teleport/Move+3

They can do upwards of 200+ dmg in one thrust of a spear at this point in the game.

Caster is different. summoners are amazing for AoE. high MP pool though..
    Black mage with Flare is always nice, just have a high MP pool
    White mage's holy isn't half bad with gear affecting magic.

I have 4 melee and a caster.

loldrg.

Mnk is the way to go in this game, they are waaaaaay overpowered.

best thing to do is an earth slash from far away, which if you've built a mnk properly should do 300+ dmg and then go in for a close up hit (hopefully you've unlocked move +2 from thief or +3 from ninja and have boots) and walk up and kill him. First time i ever played the game he gave me trouble, now i make sure when i go there i'm prepared to kill him in one round.

Mnk > FFT, only thing stronger than a mnk in that game is Orlandu.

Edit: oh, perhaps i should clarify. Use ramza gutz tactic as many times as possible in the Wiegraf fight, it'll make his dmg skyrocket, then when you finally kill wiegraf (he should stay at a distance to try and use is magic sword thing) and turn into velius, you should have upwards of 30 phys atk, which makes your mnk hit for like 500-700 dmg. wham bam thank you velius.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyylya
    Or Ramza as a Squire.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawls
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyylya
    Or Ramza as a Squire.
    You actually play as a squire? Squire is only good for it's abilities, it blows as a main compared to the advanced jobs.

use gutz on mnk to charge his phys atk power, and you can do 999 dmg to anything in the game.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

In games as old as this, you really don't need to announce the spoilers. lol... though your thoughts are appreciated.

Also, you're probably on the hardest fight in the game, unless you try to steal all of the Genji equipment, which is a pain in the ass but well worth it.

Vobent

one-shotted vielus & viegraf with ramza.

Ridill
    BG Level

If you want to make the hard fights easy on FFT, this is the best way to do it, at least it has been in my... too many times playing it to count...

First off, grind. Random battles out the ass. ALWAYS keep "Gained JP up" on all characters when doing random battles until they're maxed.

And this is what to aim for if you want to just be able to destroy everything in your path:

Ramza should have maxed mediator, and whenever you find something you want to steal or whatever in random battles, just invite lol. Then clean em out and release em. I also max out his thief, to use for stealing things that can't be invited. Lastly, but most important, master his squire and monk skills. I use him as squire/mnk mostly, but there's plenty of ways to make him freakishly strong.

Next, a calculator. Calculators flat out own this game, period. The only thing remotely near as powerful as a calculator is a mime. I generally use my calculators as smn/calc.

Now for the fun part.

A dancer and a mime. Slow dance mimed, last dance mimed, nameless dance mimed, all are ridiculously powerful. Not to mention the mimed calculations... I sub monk on the dancer. The other main thing I use the mime for is stealing.

And then of course Agrias, who is later replaced by Orlandu. Orlandu is a convenient character to sub chemist and give throw item.

Also teleport for everyone is just ridiculous.

This is of course assuming you want to build yourself up and own whatever you face, if you want things to be difficult and to work out actual tactics and stuff, you don't want to go this route, at least not nearly as early. When you have a calculator, a dancer, and a mime, you pretty much cannot lose, period. It's mainly just what I do when I wanna see just how badass I can really make everyone.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Yeah, for this fight you just stay way back and do Yell until you've got like 10 moves for every one of his, then you charge yourself up with Guts and one-shot Wiegraf and Velius.

Grinding is very effective at making these storyline encounters laughable, but unfortunately it makes the random battles a monstrous pain in the ass. A couple of evil level 80 chocobos are harder than any boss in this game by far.

Ridill
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Weeks
    Yeah, for this fight you just stay way back and do Yell until you've got like 10 moves for every one of his, then you charge yourself up with Guts and one-shot Wiegraf and Velius.

Grinding is very effective at making these storyline encounters laughable, but unfortunately it makes the random battles a monstrous pain in the ass. A couple of evil level 80 chocobos are harder than any boss in this game by far.
    ehh there's almost never a random encounter where the calculator + mime aren't capable of literally knocking out the entire battlefield with 1 shot, including your own team lol

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Quote Originally Posted by Janice
    I think that was the fight i casted yell a billion times on Ramza or whatever the speed move was.
    Exactly.

Take your time on Wiegraf. Yell -> Move-HPUP and repeat over and over. You'll start the Velius fight with a speed of at least 30 and be fine. I normally went as Squire/knight or Knight/squire so I could speed break Wiegraf so I didn't have to run as much (you can get to him at 1-2 speed and when you're at 20-30 he never does anything lol)

The fight is cake once you get past the first few rounds with Wiegraf working like that.

I never really did yell, just accumulate. Get phys atk up around 30 then one shot everything. Can usually stay out of distance well enough if you have movement abilites from thf or nin.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

This one fight is what made me learn the value of multiple save spots. Burn'd.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

hay guys wats going on lol

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Janice
    This is what I did.

Yell a ton of times. It helps to have 99 Hi Potions (Or at least a lot) And Auto-Potion as a counter manuever.

Then Accumulate a ton of times.

Then kill weigraf in 1 hit. Velius pops out. Then stab him. Battle over.

3 Ninjas w/Concentrate + 1 Person with Haste = win

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I remember one run I had everyone learn the alchemist "counter skill" of drinking a potion. I havn't replayed it since the PS2 came out so my memories are a little fuzzy. Basically close to anytime someone got hit, they would just chug a potion to cure whatever damage they took. Was helpful in some of the harder fights, though a bit slower than just making an all MNK party.