+ Reply to Thread
    ٩๏̯͡๏)۶

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Barthilas

PC problem - PC keeps hanging

Hiyas, my PC keeps hanging on FF recently, I haven't installed anything new or done anything different, but occasionally FF will just halt, then my PC overloads or something and i'm staring at a blank screen.

Anyone know what kind of problem I'm looking at?

Old Merits
    BG Level

Description and setup of computer? [motherboard, video card, etc]

Off the top of my head I'd say update Bios and chipset drivers for the motherboard, I had a similar thing happen to me a long time back and that never hurts.

٩๏̯͡๏)۶

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Barthilas

no idea on motherboard, vid card is radeon 9800 pro

mrargus.exe

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Karina Silverstar
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Does it happen with any other games or in any other situations, or just while playing FFXI?

٩๏̯͡๏)۶

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Barthilas

I only play FFXI on my PC, so yeah.

After talking to Cass on aim, im thinking it has alot to do with lack of circulation + stupid aussie hot weather

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Check your HD and CPU temps when you play FF, it might be a temp problem since you said it only occurs when you play FF. My 2nd guess is it might be a power issue, this will be hard to find which hardware that causing it.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

prob heat if its just recently.

update drivers as well.

blax n gunz
    BG Level

Almost certainly heat. Check your fans/vents for clogs and proper operation.

Have you moved the computer recently? If you did, the other possibility is something got bumped and isn't seated properly. Open up the case and re-seat cards, power supply connections, etc.

Are you using an AMD processor, by chance?

You can always try this, when I had the same problem with my ATI Radeon 9200 AGP card.

Goto your Device Manager.

Cascade "System Devices"

Search for something like "CPU to AGP controller"

Right click and "Update Driver"

In this order: "No, not at this time" >>> "Install from a list or a specific location (Advanced)" >>> "Don't search, I will choose the driver to install"

Update it to "PCI standard PCI to PCI bridge"

Restart your computer, and it should work.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Karina Silverstar
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Definitely leaning towards heat as well. FFXI puts a pretty large and constant load on your processor. As suggested make sure all your fans are working properly (aren't clogged, not making any funny/excessive noise, etc). Opening up the case and cleaning things out can never hurt either and can solve seemingly unrelated problems. Aside from that, it could be a driver or graphics card issue... but if it was drivers the problem would probably happen right away.

I had a friend with a similar problem... he remedied it by just keeping his case open, but I really can't recommend that because it's inviting all sorts of other problems...

٩๏̯͡๏)۶

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Barthilas

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/3815/eepmc4.jpg

ok

it went all the way to 63 degrees while i was out in the feild, so something's wrong (the fire symbol points to a no-no area ). Aside the temperature, is that fan spinning too fast/slow ? I don't understand all the numbers, it's too technical for me.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

what kind of processor do you have? both AMD and Intel have diff temperatures in which they can operate on safely.

And did you update your drivers?

٩๏̯͡๏)۶

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Barthilas

Pentium 4, and which drivers? Graphics card? yeah I got the latest ones for them.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

That CPU temp is fine if its what you're running when you're in game/running the cpu at 100%.

Also, your +5V line is looking pretty low. Do you have a lot of shit on your PC connected?

I would put an 80mm fan next to your HDD, try to cool it off and see if thats the problem.

٩๏̯͡๏)۶

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Barthilas

Quote Originally Posted by Zigma
    That CPU temp is fine if its what you're running when you're in game/running the cpu at 100%.

Also, your +5V line is looking pretty low. Do you have a lot of shit on your PC connected?

I would put an 80mm fan next to your HDD, try to cool it off and see if thats the problem.
    ya i have lots of stuff going to my PC, I can prolly disconnect the scanner and graphics tablet that i never use, I didn't know those things took much from the PC. Thanks for the advice.

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Lordwafik

ya i have lots of stuff going to my PC, I can prolly disconnect the scanner and graphics tablet that i never use, I didn't know those things took much from the PC. Thanks for the advice.

hope it helps.

٩๏̯͡๏)۶

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Barthilas

hope it helps.
    Unplugged wacom tablet, BUT also pulled apart my damn PC, took out the card, and noticed there was a fuckton of dust all over it, possibly the dust was causing the fan to not move? I notice it doesnt move particularly fast even after clearing the dust, so I'm now just gonna use my PC with the side off for now, and let my AC take care of the temperature for the time being as a temporary solution (fucking freezing in my room now lol).

Temp3 on Speedfan at least shows it starting at 40 degrees, right now it's 48 though. HOPEFULLY this temp adjustment works, it's the damned graphics card causing resets, at least i've got it narrowed down.

Hayleystrator
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

so I'm now just gonna use my PC with the side off for now, and let my AC take care of the temperature for the time being as a temporary solution
    That's what I do as well. With the side cover on, I found that dust buildup and overheating was far more frequent, so I just simply took it off. Everest said that my mobo temps (among other things) dropped close to 10 degrees under load and 5 at idle.

So far I haven't seen any negative side-effects to this, so I'm just going to keep it like this until my PC blows up.

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

what is that utility that you are using to get all that info on your pc? i was looking for something like that but couldnt find anything.

edit: just looked at the pic looks like its called speed fan or something like that. did you down load it or did it come with your computer?