Raineer Severus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by Lockecole
    Anyone know if you can have a no effect even if the prior stun was resisted? I'm thinking its possible, and that could have been what happened with your shield bash. Even though unsuccessful, its still possible a stun can still create a no effect window.
    It was always my contention that it was possible, and was my arguement against the doubling-up of chainstuns on stuff like DL. I got alot of "no effects" on tiamat when people wouldn't hold a chain and just spam stun randomly. All too often was "Tiamat begins casting Firaga 3, Raineer casts Stun, Stun has no effect, BOOM"

For the most part, no matter what the situation if I mess up and get hit while casting, I'll get interupted. Occasionally I won't, but don't really notice a difference between the situations.
    If you spend enough time soloing on a RDM you'll see the difference (not talking about ninjitsu), if you're the type of player that pays attention to these things you see the vast difference in fighting EP-,EP+,EM,VT, etc. You notice what schools of magic get interrupted and when, and how much damage you got hit for and by what level of mob. There were mobs I knew could hit me for 300+ dmg while casting stoneskin (without overlapping) and I had about a 5% chance of being interrupted, whereas other mobs I knew the chance was about 95% to get interrupted if they even hit me for 10. Mob level means so so much to it.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by inafume
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbra
    If the stun effect wears prior to the action/cast timer ending, you won't get interrupted.
    Stun will ALWAYS interrupt a spell under normal conditions. It doesn't matter if the effect wears off before the cast completes.
    Little late to reply, but if you included my first sentence you'd see I was agreeing with what you wrote. The spell completely blocks. Stun WS only blocks if the completion of the action stunned occurs before the stun effect wears.
    I don't believe this is correct. The status effect of "Stun" is what always interrupts spells. It doesn't matter if it comes from a spell or a WS. I have never seen a stun WS proc and not interrupt a spell.

Either what you witnessed was the WS failing to proc, or you used the WS too soon, during which the mob was stunned for a really short duration during the small window when spells can't be interrupted (NINs should be familiar with this.)

As an experiment, wait a few seconds (or less, depending on the spell being cast) before using your stun WS. If it procs during this time, it should ALWAYS interrupt.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

I went out to xp pld over this week and decided to try some things out. We were doing D.Weps in sky (I know, lol not ToA area, blah blah) so I couldn't test anything with regards to casting, but we did mess around a bit with the ability to 'stack' stun effects.

First, we tried to repeat the shield bash > stun (spell) failure that some people had been experiencing. The recast on shield bash was kind of limiting, but I'd say over the course of the night we tried it about 15-20 times. I made a /p > wait 1 > shield bash macro which the blm would follow stun with. We tried timing it a bunch of different ways with him stunning just as or immediately after I bashed. Now, the sample size is substantially lacking, but in that time his stun never had the 'no effect' message.

We also tried the same thing using flat blade instead of shield bash. Every time that my flat blade stunned (95% or so, I failed one all night) and the blm stunned before my stun effect wore off, the blm's stun had no effect.

Take from this what you will. If there is a window of 'no effect' after an unsuccesful bash, I'd say it's very, very small. It seems to me that bash effects might even be in a different category than the spell and stunning WS's. The fact that it doesn't give you a 'stun effect wears off' message supports that theory. I wish the recast on bash was a bit lower so it wouldn't be so time consuming to test more extensively.

If you're confident in your ls's blm/drk stunning abilities, I'd almost just tell your pld or nin/drk to not even try to bash big spells and just use them as hate tools for fear of the 'no effect' anomaly.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

I know I should probably just let this topic die, but I'm still very curioius.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...f/stunfail.jpg

Just to verify what other people had been seeing. Obviously the stun effect from shield bash locked out Yourself's stun (spell). The question still remains why an assumed successful bash would lock out the players stun spell, but not stop the mob from casting.

I'm probably just reading to much into it and it's really just one of the thousands of little glitchy things that this game contains. It just makes me wonder why this one situation would be different.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Alistaire Lexander
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Quote Originally Posted by Jeryhn
    Here's where I would have issue, because there's not much supporting this. Afterall, Kirin can be stunned quite easily by Headbutt.
    Not really. You can see Head Butt interrupt Kirin, but that's because Head Butt is also a knockback move. Just too bad BLU knockbacks don't move mobs back like players get knocked back...except that moving a mob all over the place would be annoying in xp.

And the other guy who mentioned thunder ghrahs is right. In limbus, Head Butt will damage earth or thunder elementals but never ever stun them. There's only the knockback, which if timed well, can interrupt them.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Kujata

Quote Originally Posted by Umbra
    If the stun effect wears prior to the action/cast timer ending, you won't get interrupted.
    Stun will ALWAYS interrupt a spell under normal conditions. It doesn't matter if the effect wears off before the cast completes.
    Many times when doing burn parties on weapons, I've started a song, had Whirl of Rage go off (and gotten the stun icon), had the stun wear before I completed the cast, and had the song still go off.

Of course, it's entirely possible that the rules are a) different for songs, or b) different for "physical" stun effects on songs, since there are already things that can interrupt a spell but not a song. Somewhat obviously, if I'm still stunned by the time it hits the completion percentage, the song does not go off. I'm not sure what would happen if someone/thing casted the spell Stun on me and the stun effect wore off before my song went off; so few things cast Stun on BRDs that I've really never had the opportunity to find out (I do not do Ballista).

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Many times when doing burn parties on weapons, I've started a song, had Whirl of Rage go off (and gotten the stun icon), had the stun wear before I completed the cast, and had the song still go off.

Of course, it's entirely possible that the rules are a) different for songs, or b) different for "physical" stun effects on songs, since there are already things that can interrupt a spell but not a song. Somewhat obviously, if I'm still stunned by the time it hits the completion percentage, the song does not go off. I'm not sure what would happen if someone/thing casted the spell Stun on me and the stun effect wore off before my song went off; so few things cast Stun on BRDs that I've really never had the opportunity to find out (I do not do Ballista).
    Bolded. There's your winner. Songs are by nature different than other types of spells in that they can't be interrupted in the ways that most spells can be. No damage will ever interrupt you. Also, any stun/sleep/etc won't interrupt as long as it wears before you finish casting.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5