+ Reply to Thread
    BEES OH GOD BEES
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

Annoying "virus" - warning and help needed

ok, so I got a message from a friend the other day which said: "is that u? :O http://tuspics.tu.funpic.org/index.php?pic2038.jpg" on MSN. foolishly, I checked the link and downloaded some program (I was thinking it would probably be one of those games or something where the kid from the exorcist pops up).

Now my CPU seems to be spamming that message as soon as I'm using any program which involves a typing field.

Don't go to that link unless you think you can fix the problem by doing so.

Anyone know how to get rid of it? I've tried Adaware and Spybot, both up to date.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

try hijackthis

You can get it at Radiosplace.com

BEES OH GOD BEES
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

ty janice, looking into it atm. Might have found something...

BEES OH GOD BEES
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

found something called "ipwins.exe" using hijackthis. supposedly some advert program one shouldn't have. got rid of it asap. see no signs of the program atm. (I did try uninstalling MSN as well, so it is possibly that which got rid of the program, but that'd be quite odd.)
    once again, ty janice.

There are false prophets among us,
    who bring in damnable heresies,
    and bring upon themselves swift destruction.

BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Ner'zhul

I'd back your stuff up and reformat anyways. Even after getting rid of a Virus I find your PC still runs a below average performance.

I started using AVG and that detected the File as a trojan before it had a chance to download, it spotted the temp file and got rid of that rather quick too.

Irony is I got that same MSN Message from a long blocked "Friend" who loved to indulge in bots, hacks and scripts for the game. He was also a rampant Gilbuyer.

And here I thought his account got ganked and he was trying to take mine when I saw "trojan" on the AV.

G'luck cleaning your system.

BEES OH GOD BEES
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Stormrage

don't worry, I got this from someone who doesn't even know what ffxi is. I doubt she even plays video games lol <.< so it's not a ffxi-related keylogger or anything. and I got rid of it completely. haven't seen any trace of it since.