+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Workout regiments     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Workout regiments

I realize this is probably the worst place to ask someone their weight lifting routines because most of us are probably fatasses, but I figured I'd try.

Does anyone here have a good routine they follow every week. I'm specifically looking for what days you do what, what muscle groups you work on what days, etc. Cardio workouts etc are welcome too.

St. Fiat
    THE TIME FOR QUESTIONS
    HAS PASSED

BG Level

Do what they do in the army.

4 sets push ups
    4 sets situps
    4 sets pull ups
    2 miles

3 times a week, or every day if you can handle it.

Free and easy.

Well...pushups are supposedly bad for your shoulders because they aren't proper form, that's why you'll see alot of men in the military with shoulder injuries. That...and bad shoulders run in my family apparently. Brother and dad both had shoulder surgery.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

If you want to commit to a serious workout, you can check out a BowFlex. That way you get strength training and cardio in one shot, and have about 60+ exercises to utilize so you don't get bored. Best thing is you only do 20-30 min three times a week and results are really good as long as you eat right. Plus, you just need to walk into your room, no having to go to gyms which are the killer in a work out routine.

Eh, I should have prefaced this. I already have a gym membership...with bikes, treadmills, elliptical machines, free weights, nautilus, pilates, etc. Really the main reason is cuz I tore my ACL and would like to rehab on my own, but I figured out I might as well do the rest of my body good.

Fuck bowflex.. for the price you could get a bench, weights, a bike, and maybe a new computer.

The fuckup that geeks like us make when they try to get in shape is overdoing it, your body needs time to heal all the wear in tear you did to it. Whoever said "no pain no gain" was a moron.

Just do what feels good when you feel like doing it. You'll start feeling better from the exercise before you see any visual results, and you'll need to feel better or you probably won't be able to stick with it for the long term to get the best results.

Especially with a ACL injury... The good rule of thumb is to follow regardless of if its jogging or lifting weights or whatever is to not increase length/distance by more than 10% a week. Start really small with an injury like that

I've always been taught that you don't do two muscle groups that are both large or antagonists of one another on the same day, ie chest/back, biceps/triceps. Usually break it down like this: Monday- chest/leg group; Wednesday: back/arm group; Friday: legs/arms/shoulders.

It also depends on whether you're going for mass or strength.

And don't try to rehab on your own :'(

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Devek
    Fuck bowflex.. for the price you could get a bench, weights, a bike, and maybe a new computer.
    True, but if you have the money, why not? I save space and for the results you get, I'm quite happy with it.

But of course, if your looking at professional body building, the gym is where you should be at.

Just looking to drop about 20 pounds and tone up.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Working out (lifting) doesnt really lose that much weight, it just turns fat into muscle, you may even end up gaining.

Eating smart and running is the best for losing it.

It doesn't turn fat into muscle lawls.

Quote Originally Posted by SephirothYuyX
    Working out doesnt really lose that much weight, it just turns fat into muscle.

Eating smart and running is the best for losing it.
    I think weight lifting is an essential part of a weight loss routine. Muscle obviously metabolizes calories at a faster rate, etc.

I don't need a lecture...I just want some good advice on lifting routines.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

If you're going to lose the weight though, it won't hurt to tone up as well. A little muscle building in the process never hurts, and it helps keep the excess weight from comming back.. as long as you keep at it of course.

I just bought some weights and a bench because of a pretty good deal at Dunhams during black friday, and now I have no idea what kind of exersizes to do.

So, should I do like said above and run/job one day and lift weights on the next?

You can lose plenty of weight but still be a loose and flabby hack...I'd rather tone up as well.

The Optimistic Asshole
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

Take a 12ounce budlight can and lift it from the table top to your lips. Do this until 12 cans are empty at least 4 times a week.

Cardio before and after your work outs, and stretch before and after all your work outs.

Don't overpower on one muscle group is a good idea, make sure to hit them all cause a weak back and strong stomach will give you problems, just like a weak back chest and strong back will.

With a bench you can do back/chest/arms but kinda hard to do legs (unless it's got a squat set up too).

Old Merits
    BG Level

I do a decent amount of cardio [DDR + Bike riding] and have 2 10lb weights at work that I use to help my shoulder [old lacrosse injury] but that's about all. But I did want to share this from my favorite comic:

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/exercise.png

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Oh yeah, Cassiraa reminded me, another good idea is wear foot/angle/torso weights while jogging.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Well what I do is for the gym is:
    3 sets bench (12/10/10)
    3 sets curls (20/15/15)
    2 sets of that back/shoulders machine(the one where you pull the bar behind or infront of your head) (20/15/12)
    Then 15-20 minutes of running (Like 2 miles..alittle less)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast