Thread: your GS? check out Asuras     submit to reddit submit to twitter

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

Tokyoeyes tried stunning it lol...

I'm not sure why people care about this, or why it's so surprising to anyone.

Tom Wilson will never be good.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zero Star
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Quote Originally Posted by Machazareel
    Quote Originally Posted by Khalil
    That's not what he was getting at. Melchiah was trying to compare Mafia protection with RMT, which didn't really fit in this situation.
    Yeah, I know what he was getting at. The problem is that people seem to think that mafia protection is just like what they depict in the Sopranos. Protection rackets is a term that covers a somewhat wide spectrum of activities.

In most cases, claiming that the 'mafia' people will go away after paying them off is simply fallace. It's not uncommon for continued pressure to be exerted in order to milk as much as possible, and their methods of coersing people to do what they want varies alot as well.
    There are of course those who will vandalise your shop or inflict harm on you, but there are also cases where they simply obstruct the inflow of inventory, and continue to disript it even after you've paid, just to a lesser degree.

The analogy between rmt activity and protection rackets is far from poor, and it fits quite well as long as you don't actually think real life is like the Sopranos. Because it isn't.
    I didn't make the comparison to the Mafia first, iirc. Second, how would you force someone to pay you if you didn't threaten their lively hood? Third, I don't watch Sopranoes or any Mafia movies actually.

People really need to know more about what they are talking about and not make broad asumptions and bad analogies. It's a broad and bad comparison. don't even know why I'm argueing it, just bored.

The whole point was, if you buy from RMT you contribute to the problem. There is no possible way you can say that buying from RMT is not a problem.

Selling drugs is illegal. Buying drugs is illegal. Ulli stones would be drugs, because everybody is so addicted to B.Haidate. Such a downer when they don't drop and you have to buy more, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Starr
    Hades Sea RMT telling me they've got 24 Novios so far and sold 10, pretty sure he's bull shitting though. To the last question he said 7 Love Torques lol...
    http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j1...UK/hackers.png
    That is amazing because of two things. Caitsith migrated to Hades at one point in time and we have the same RMT name selling bullshit as you do. i had to double read the post to make sure it was Hades and not Caitsith. Far as i know, our assholes don't have anything but limbus happening for them. Maybe they sell a pop item or two but they can't do shit atm.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rokku Swarfjaryn
    FFXIV Server
    Balmung
    FFXI Server
    Caitsith
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrower
    That is amazing because of two things. Caitsith migrated to Hades at one point in time and we have the same RMT name selling bullshit as you do. i had to double read the post to make sure it was Hades and not Caitsith. Far as i know, our assholes don't have anything but limbus happening for them. Maybe they sell a pop item or two but they can't do shit atm.
    Nope. They're trying, but the main things holding them back is that only a small number of them have sea access. That, and they're all utterly retarded.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I didn't make the comparison to the Mafia first, iirc. Second, how would you force someone to pay you if you didn't threaten their lively hood?
    The idea is that the livelihood of most players is primarily based on the aquisition of items, and there's more than one way of threatening a livelihood. In this case, it's the restriction, or obstruction of something that under normal circumstances is easy to get. You pay the rmt off for temporary alleviance to the restriction, and if you don't, you're fucked. This is how certain types of protection rackets work.

You can really make several analogies to this activity, several would fit, including your own. It's just a matter of how you look at it. Regardless, everyone knows that paying them off contributes to the problem, and that it's a dumb thing to do, but it's basically just choosing one of two evils, and deciding for one's self which is the lesser of the two. For some people, wasting hours upon hours of their friends time and putting them through alot of frustration is worse than giving the rmt more gil to sell.

I don't condone the activity of buying stones, but I can certainly understand why alot of shells do it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9