+ Reply to Thread
    CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

WTF BG Forums? (important read)

So I use ZoneAlarm Pro for my software internet firewall... It's actually a truly awesome piece of software. So I've had it running from some time now and I just stumble upon this feature called "Identity Protection Lock". I check it out and basically what it does is asks for some of the more important pieces of info from you (credit card numbers, passwords, etc.) so that whenever an outgoing attempt is made to send out one of these, it will notify you so you can decide whether or not to send it.

So far in my use, this has come in very handy, as it has spoiled many phishing attempts as well as other hidden spyware type stealing attempts. A lot of the time when I visit Hotmail or AOL or even BG here, when I login it will ask me if I am sure I want to send my password. I really like this feature. When I go to buy things off BestBuy.com it asks if I want to release my credit card info to the site, etc. etc.

So you'll understand my surprise as to why today when I go to browse the BG forums, after I've been at browsing for a while, this little baby pops up:

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/1543/wtfbggi2.jpg

All I can say is, what's going on? This has never actually come up any time besides when it's really been happening (i.e. making a purchase, etc.). BG been hijacked or what? I've run 3 different virus scans and 2 adaware/spyware scans on my ENTIRE system and nothing has come up. So basically, this is a general warning to others out there, and just a heads up to the admins to check if somethings going on. Maybe it might just be on my end though, but I doubt it, because this software is fairly accurate.

Oh, the other thing I just thought of is that it could be some sort of malware located in one of those pics/gifs in that NSFW thread I was browsing at the time when it came up... Dunno, but worth checking into.

I'm going to sleep but when I come back I expect drama damnit!

Hey, that's me!

Groovebox

why the fuck would you store your Visa pin on your computer?

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

It's because you use Firefox.

And yeah.. the sound of actually having to input your info so that it can check if its trying to be stolen sounds like a really dumb ass way of protecting someone. Id uninstall that crap right quick and in a hurry.

Is your pin 1080? lol

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Popeh Stein
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

People use Zonealarm? wow

I thought the 714 mental patients who originated at ZonaAlarm Labs. LTD would of put enough ppl off

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by SephirothYuyX

And yeah.. the sound of actually having to input your info so that it can check if its trying to be stolen sounds like a really dumb ass way of protecting someone. Id uninstall that crap right quick and in a hurry.
    You don't know what Zonealarm is?

Its a very handy and free firewall and it DOES work. I also use it. Zonealarm Pro (you need to pay for this one) even comes with antivirus and is even better then most other software firewalls.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Kattice
    Quote Originally Posted by SephirothYuyX

You don't know what Zonealarm is?

Its a very handy and free firewall and it DOES work. I also use it. Zonealarm Pro (you need to pay for this one) even comes with antivirus and is even better then most other software firewalls.
    Unfortunately I do know what Zonealarm is.

Zonealarm sucks.

Even though it has nice "features", they don't work properly.

Get rid of that.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Maybe the BG saw a piece of crap software on your computer and made fun of it. Zonealarm is just trying to get even.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

"http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/1543/wtfbggi2.jpg"

would your pin happen to be 168 or something related with the url? it probably got a false alarm from that.

lolZA

Sygate onry.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Great, just when I'd forgotten the fat catgirl pic you bring it back.

Ranger
    9900klub

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sonomaa Kihten
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Durotan
    Blog Entries

no idea what that is, there is no malicious code in the website, its a secure system and hasnt caused any issues for any other person. Id scan yourself for virus's and check running processes

oh, and get a hardware firewall too, software ones always suck

Quote Originally Posted by Sonomaa
    no idea what that is, there is no malicious code in the website, its a secure system and hasnt caused any issues for any other person. Id scan yourself for virus's and check running processes

oh, and get a hardware firewall too, software ones always suck
    If you dont have a network is it ok to just use software? Oh ... and I use ZA pro have for about 4 years (I do use AVG for antivirus though), and I love it. Its simple to use, my wife cant mess it up, and unlike Norton it does NOT fuck up my system. Not sure why the bad reviews on this board but everything I have ever read concerning ZA is that its one of if not the best software firewall on the market (the free version rocks too).

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

Sorry for clerification, but my VISA PIN as it states isn't actually the pin, but the first 12 of the 16 digit credit card number "xxxx xxxx xxxx yyyy". So yeah, a bigger problem than you may think. It's not as if it was someones post count or something. And no, Zone Alarm is not a piece of shit, they're a reputed company who have won many awards for their services and protection of others on the internet.

Since when have awards meant anything?

Peoples pay to receive awards.

Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn

BG's Shitty Post Spider Sense System was merely acting preemptively in preparation for your post. The servers know it would be stupid and decided to charge you for wasting bandwidth.

In other words welcome to the world of false alarms.