FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by fndragon
    Quote Originally Posted by Septimus
    Quote Originally Posted by solsovly
    Quote Originally Posted by Aodh
    Bigger question, has Lv5 Petrify EVER hit jug pets? I don't think I've ever been in a situation to where it might have happened, and if it did I can't remember. But if it doesn't affect jug pets for whatever reason, then trying to use it to determine level becomes moot.
    Level 5 Petrify has effected jugs since as long as I can remember.

edit: I highly highly highly doubt Amigo spawns over 75 ever.

edit2: I'll just go ahead and say No jugs spawn over 75 just to get that out of the way.
    It would be simple enough to test it though, you just have to kill an EM mob with Amigo (far away from other mobs) and see how much XP you get. If it would be too hard to go from 100% to dead with Amigo, charm a DC mob at the start to do the bulk of the work then pull out Amigo at the end.
    Since the patch that removed any XP-penalty with Jug Pets, you will only ever get 100xp for an even match, regardless of your jug pet's level. I suspect that level is capped at 75, but I cannot offer any proof other than pointing at the merit description.

Before the patch that removed any XP penalty, you would always take a 30% hit in XP with a jugpet. (Same with a charmed monster, but the xp would be determined on the maximum of your charmed pet's level and your level).

As far as the OP goes, this is a peculiar test. Which Ahrimans do the Level 5 petrify move? Only the ones in Limbus and Dynamis?
    Even without the 30% XP penalty, the XP you get from a mob is based off of the highest level player/pet that touches it. Unless they removed that from jug pets as well there would still be an XP reduction.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by fndragon
    Quote Originally Posted by Aodh
    Bigger question, has Lv5 Petrify EVER hit jug pets? I don't think I've ever been in a situation to where it might have happened, and if it did I can't remember. But if it doesn't affect jug pets for whatever reason, then trying to use it to determine level becomes moot.
    Level 5 Petrify has effected jugs since as long as I can remember.

edit: I highly highly highly doubt Amigo spawns over 75 ever.

edit2: I'll just go ahead and say No jugs spawn over 75 just to get that out of the way.
    It would be simple enough to test it though, you just have to kill an EM mob with Amigo (far away from other mobs) and see how much XP you get. If it would be too hard to go from 100% to dead with Amigo, charm a DC mob at the start to do the bulk of the work then pull out Amigo at the end.
    Since the patch that removed any XP-penalty with Jug Pets, you will only ever get 100xp for an even match, regardless of your jug pet's level. I suspect that level is capped at 75, but I cannot offer any proof other than pointing at the merit description.

Before the patch that removed any XP penalty, you would always take a 30% hit in XP with a jugpet. (Same with a charmed monster, but the xp would be determined on the maximum of your charmed pet's level and your level).

As far as the OP goes, this is a peculiar test. Which Ahrimans do the Level 5 petrify move? Only the ones in Limbus and Dynamis?
    Even without the 30% XP penalty, the XP you get from a mob is based off of the highest level player/pet that touches it. Unless they removed that from jug pets as well there would still be an XP reduction.
    Some friends of mine are nice enough to send me their cactuar roots when they kill speedy. Like you said, I think they removed jug pets from the equation period so either way it won't prove much. However just incase, I'll grab a Amigo this weekend (3 Affinity, AF2 Gloves) and take down an EM mob. I'm sure my needleshotting photosynthesizing friend will return 100 xp like normal.

And to the other poster, I know castle v. has eyes that use level 5 petrify. About two years ago I did some testing there with jug levels, its just that Ahrims have so many TP moves to make it speedy.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Re: lolbst indeed

Quote Originally Posted by Lordwafik
    The BST in question had capped beast affinity merits (so +6 levels), which means the maximum level this pet could have been would be 74-6 = 68
    Wouldn't it mean the highest level the pet could have been was 74, not 68?

This isnt really new news to BST, I suspected my jugpets get summoned lower, but Sabotender was rumoured for a long time to be one of the only capped pets, guess not!
    I'm not a BST, but I thought there were several capped pets, not just Amigo? I was under the impression most were, besides Carrie and a couple others which is why Carrie is so popular?

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Khamsin
    The BST in question had capped beast affinity merits (so +6 levels), which means the maximum level this pet could have been would be 74-6 = 68

This isnt really new news to BST, I suspected my jugpets get summoned lower, but Sabotender was rumoured for a long time to be one of the only capped pets, guess not!
    I'm not a BST, but I thought there were several capped pets, not just Amigo? I was under the impression most were, besides Carrie and a couple others which is why Carrie is so popular?
    I think you may be misunderstanding Wafik. Basically, its assumed that the highest level pet you could have is level 75. Having Beast Affinity Merits say that your pet cannot go past 75 supports this.

As you know, level 5 petrify effects all players/pets with multiples of 5. So if the sabotender was 75, he would have been effected. Lets assume the best case scenario that he was level 74 after all the merits. So in this best case scenario he was level 74 after receiving a 6 level boost due to 3 Beast Affinity merits. He would have to have been spawned at level 68 at the very most (before merits). Anything level 69 and over would automatically cap at 75 due to merits.

Mysterytour and other databases report that there are a couple HQ uncapped jugpets. This includes
    • Homonculus (not true from my unscientific experience, he is a piece of shit)

Lars: Amazing.. too bad his mats are across the world, some unstackable and require a 100+ with synthesis boosts to even T2 him. All for 15 minutes IF you hq.

Cactuar: Assumed at one point to be the ONLY 75 pet as you needed to be 75 to even equip him.

Misc: I havn't personally tried the HQ eft pet, but reportedly he caps out before 70, and I havn't had the oppurtunity to try the HQ antlion, but he is supposed to be uncapped as well.

Carrie: Carrie is only popular because he is "uncapped" relatively. That and he is actually reasonably priced.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I think you may be misunderstanding Wafik. Basically, its assumed that the highest level pet you could have is level 75. Having Beast Affinity Merits say that your pet cannot go past 75 supports this.

As you know, level 5 petrify effects all players/pets with multiples of 5. So if the sabotender was 75, he would have been effected. Lets assume the best case scenario that he was level 74 after all the merits. So in this best case scenario he was level 74 after receiving a 6 level boost due to 3 Beast Affinity merits. He would have to have been spawned at level 68 at the very most (before merits). Anything level 69 and over would automatically cap at 75 due to merits.

Mysterytour and other databases report that there are a couple HQ uncapped jugpets. This includes
    • Homonculus (not true from my unscientific experience, he is a piece of shit)

Lars: Amazing.. too bad his mats are across the world, some unstackable and require a 100+ with synthesis boosts to even T2 him. All for 15 minutes IF you hq.

Cactuar: Assumed at one point to be the ONLY 75 pet as you needed to be 75 to even equip him.

Misc: I havn't personally tried the HQ eft pet, but reportedly he caps out before 70, and I havn't had the oppurtunity to try the HQ antlion, but he is supposed to be uncapped as well.

Carrie: Carrie is only popular because he is "uncapped" relatively. That and he is actually reasonably priced.
    Ah, I understand now. But I still don't get why people thought Amigo was one of the only capped jug pets? You just stated there that there's very few uncapped ones, the rest are capped. So why was Amigo supposedly unique? Though I would think that its a good thing for it to be proven wrong, and Amigo actually is uncapped.

Because he requires 75 to use.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by aurik
    I just meant I didn't think Amigo was one of the only capped pets. I thought HQ rabbit, sheep, and some others were capped, too?

I don't know, I'm not a BST. lol

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by aurik
    I just meant I didn't think Amigo was one of the only capped pets. I thought HQ rabbit, sheep, and some others were capped, too?

I don't know, I'm not a BST. lol
    When we say Amigo is "capped" we mean at 75. HQ rabbit, sheep and the rest of the junk are all capped very early on, 40-65 for the large majority of the pets. The reason they blow is that while they are good, a vendor purchased funguar (rough cap of 65) usually outperforms all of the other wortheless HQ jugs.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

I remember hearing something about the gear you wear affects your Jug Strength--meaning they also benefit from your positive stat boosting gear you have equipped..is that true?
    Having never played BST and having little interest in BST I never looked into it :O but since Jugs are a topic atm i figured I would ask

• Carrie: Carrie is only popular because she is reasonably priced.
    Fixed.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Most jug pets are capped, sure. Most of them cap in the 35-55 range though, a handful of them at 65, and some at 75. If it caps at 75, usually it's just considered "uncapped", since normally a jug pet is less than EM anyway.

Kinda like you'd say a BC is uncapped...the max level isn't set by the BC itself, you bump into game restrictions. An uncapped jug just is one that doesn't have an artificial cap, you'll call it at as high a level as your level allows.

This just shows that pet levels are even lower than we thought :/

As far as gearing...I haven't seen this to be true. I remember people writing about it long ago as well, but just haven't seen a relation when leveling BST myself.

Space Pope
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Diabolos

Quote Originally Posted by Demetrick
    • Carrie: Carrie is only popular because she is reasonably priced.
    Fixed.
    Pros: Carrie is also popular because she is a reasonably good disposable meat shield (yum, crab meat). And she lasts for 30 minutes. And a stack of her is usually below 10k

Cons: She doesn't get double-attack unlike FunguarFamiliar, and she definately has crappy TP moves (Defense Up, Mag, Def Up, Big Scissors, and AoE Bubble Shower). And her per-hit damage isn't bad, but it's not great ever since we've tasted the forbidden fruit that is Lars/Chucky.

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Pros: Carrie is also popular because she is a reasonably good disposable meat shield (yum, crab meat). And she lasts for 30 minutes. And a stack of her is usually below 10k

Cons: She doesn't get double-attack unlike FunguarFamiliar, and she definately has crappy TP moves (Defense Up, Mag, Def Up, Big Scissors, and AoE Bubble Shower). And her per-hit damage isn't bad, but it's not great ever since we've tasted the forbidden fruit that is Lars/Chucky.
    Or in other words...

Carrie: Carrie is only popular because she is reasonably priced.

If the price/minute of Lars or Chucky was ~50gil like Carrie instead of ~6-7k as Lars/Chucky tend to be, there'd be little reason to ever use Carrie. Farming maybe, kiting...

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Just out of curiosity:

What jug does a BST use in an endurance fight, like Proto-Ultima or Bahamut 2?

What jug does a BST use in a speed fight, like Dynamis Lord or Snoll Tsar mission?

What jug does a BST use when fighting Jailers or sky gods?

What jug does a BST use when solo farming for sea organs?

Other times, like fighting Tiamat, I imagine most cases you can just charm something. But those cases above are where you would have to use a jug pet.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

Just out of curiosity:

What jug does a BST use in a speed fight, like Dynamis Lord or Snoll Tsar mission?

Other times, like fighting Tiamat, I imagine most cases you can just charm something. But those cases above are where you would have to use a jug pet.
    I lol'd.

Just out of curiosity:

Jobchanger Blackmagus

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Leviathan

Wouldn't that be sort of like asking what frame a PUP uses for those events?

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Just out of curiosity:

Unfortunately we use Mog House > Job Change > BLM

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Jooeetheplatypus
    Jobchanger Blackmagus
    rofl

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Isiolia
    Wouldn't that be sort of like asking what frame a PUP uses for those events?
    Or what gear setup a DRG uses.

Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by Jooeetheplatypus
    Jobchanger Blackmagus
    Strange, I think I spotted that NM in sea the other day. Don't think he pops in ToAU areas, though, unless its in some corner of Mount Zhayolm.