+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

O lawd, PS3 thief shot to death by police

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061204/ap_ ... tion_theft

WILMINGTON, N.C. - A young man accused of robbing a fellow college student of two new Playstation 3 video game consoles was shot and killed — possibly while holding a game controller, his roommate said — by officers sent to arrest him.

Peyton Strickland, 18, was killed Friday at a house he shared with three roommates, Sheriff Sid Causey said.

"If this boy would've come to the door, opened the door, we probably wouldn't be talking," the sheriff said Sunday.

Roommate Mike Rhoton said Strickland was unarmed when he got up from playing a Tiger Woods golf game but may have been holding a controller when he went to the door as officers bashed it in. Strickland's dog, a German shepherd, also was shot to death.

The sheriff said Strickland was shot by members of a specially trained team who went to help university officers serve arrest warrants. Causey said officers considered the arrest a high-risk situation.

"Anytime that someone beats a person severely and commits an armed robbery, I certainly would consider him a risk and a danger," Causey said.

Authorities promised Monday to fully investigate the shooting. "No one is above the law and no one is beneath its protection," District Attorney Ben David said. He declined to discuss details of the case.

The State Bureau of Investigation is examining the case and three deputies on the team were placed on paid leave, normal practice whenever officers fire their weapons, Causey said.

Arrest warrants alleged that Strickland, a student at Cape Fear Community College, and a University of North Carolina-Wilmington student stole two PlayStation units from another UNC-Wilmington student Nov. 17, the day the consoles were introduced.

The sheriff said the robbery victim waited three days in line to buy the units for $641 each at a Wal-Mart. He was unloading them at his campus apartment when one man beat him to the ground while another took the consoles, Causey said.

The second man named in the warrants was arrested at another address and released on bail Saturday, authorities said.

The nationwide introduction of the Sony game system was marked by rowdy crowds and store stampedes. One buyer waiting in line at a Connecticut store was shot by robbers.

Corwens a slot
    BG Level

Glad to see when you are accused its a done deal!

Xavier

Is this not a joke?

It sounded like he was killed in cold blood by the police.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syaoran Li
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

They even killed his dog? What the hell did the dog do? ~_~

Corwens a slot
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier
    Is this not a joke?
    It was on the news, they didnt say why he was shot though.

Xavier

More and more I'm convinced our police are just fucking retarded.

I heard on the news about those undercover cops killing an unarmed man outside a bar like 4hrs before his wedding too, in NYC.

When did police become judge jury and executioner?

Corwens a slot
    BG Level

I heard on the news about those undercover cops killing an unarmed man outside a bar like 4hrs before his wedding too, in NYC.

When they are believed to do something that could be entirely not true!

Tonko

I'm guessing police knocked, and knocked, and knocked, and the kid wouldn't get up to answer the door. So they bashed it in, at which point they see him, probably starting to rise from the couch where he was in a PS3 induced state of hypnosis, holding a black object in one hand.

Police assume it's a weapon, open fire, and the kids dog probly goes ballistic and attacks. So they shoot it too.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syaoran Li
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

I like how they get paid leave after doing something like that too.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck
    WoW Realm
    Cenarius

Let's not forget the repeated tasering of a handcuffed, prone subject at the UCLA library.

Xavier

Quote Originally Posted by Tonko
    he was in a PS3 induced state of hypnosis, holding a black object in one hand.

Police assume it's a weapon, open fire, and the kids dog probly goes ballistic and attacks. So they shoot it too.
    Sounds like his family can sue Sony. If they had just kept that silver boomerang controller design, their son would still be alive today.

Vobent

Fucking pathetick (sp)

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syaoran Li
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by Tonko
    he was in a PS3 induced state of hypnosis, holding a black object in one hand.

Sounds like his family can sue Sony. If they had just kept that silver boomerang controller design, their son would still be alive today.
    Boomerangs are weapons too.

Corwens a slot
    BG Level

"Anytime that someone beats a person severely and commits an armed robbery, I certainly would consider him a risk and a danger," Causey said.

Love how he is 100% certain he did it before he goes in so hes ready to kill the guy.

HABS SUCK!!!!!
    Sepukku is my Hero
    Therrien's Cum Dumpster

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

no argument on the pre-mature shooting...

however from what the article seems to portray, the cops were banging on that door a long time. "HAY HANG ON PIGS, I GOTTA MAKE THIS PUTT LOL", not gonna slide.

The Once and Future Wamoura
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Rocl Montaigne
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Quel'Thalas

IMA CHARGING MY PS3 pic anyone?

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syaoran Li
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by Rocl
    IMA CHARGING MY PS3 pic anyone?
    Photoshop skillz: X

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Minions

Love how he is 100% certain he did it before he goes in so hes ready to kill the guy.
    When police go to make an arrest they do it assuming the person is the one who committed the crime. They have to for their own safety. There'd be a lot more dead cops out there if every time they went to make an arrest they weren't prepared for the worst. They didn't go in "ready to kill the guy", they went in with the knowledge that this guy was armed and could have harmed them.

I'd wait till more information comes out about what actually happened before you go condemning the cops for their reaction. Yeah it's unfortunate that the kid was killed, but unless they shot him with full knowledge that it was a PS3 remote and not a gun or something, then can you really blame them?

I'm not safe on my island
    Nikkei will still get me.

BG Level

PS3 is serious bussiness.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast