Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Exoduso Fenice
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Take up too much room... this, I can just hang on the wall.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Projectors can be pretty inexpensive for what you're getting compared to other HDTVs but you need a good wall/screen in a room with appropriate lighting. Front projectors usually also have really loud fans inside which could drive you crazy if you don't put it somewhere soundproof-ish. Finally, the lamps in projectors don't last terribly long and usually cost a few hundred dollars to replace. If you can deal with all that, then go for it.

I'm liking Sony's 1080p XBR LCDs myself but the pricing is just way too much right now. So I'm probably going to be using my widescreen lcd monitor for all my HDTV needs for the next year or two.

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I recently bought a 37" Magnavox 37MF321D LCD HDTV and was wondering if anyone knew a good review site where I can see how this thing sizes up.

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Tyche
    Noone does projectors >.>?
    in my experience CRT and DLP projectors are by far the best. The downside as people have mentioned is you need a rather large room to use a projector and they can be very expensive for even a halfway decent one.

the other area if you are considering a projector is the screen. it is JUST as important to get a really good screen as it is to get a really good projector. it makes me sad when people spend $5,000 on a projector and then project it up onto a wall they painted white or onto a sheet. you really need to invest in a proper home theater screen which can run almost $1,000-$3,000 depending on the quality and it makes a huge difference.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Roranora
    I would definately avoid a Plasma because of the finite (though generally ample) hours your picture will keep that stellar brightness. Especially if it's going to be for gaming, I want the best quality I can milk out of the given output capabilities, but I also want it to last. Most gamers, especially considering the stereotype with how into games people in this specific environment seem to be, will put a plethora of hours on their gaming TV. LCDs are good, not quite as bright as a plasma in its prime, as long as you don't have a bad pixel in an annoying spot. Overall, with gaming (brighter colors than most sources and more static images due to interfaces/menus), exceptional picture, and life all being considered, I think the best TVs out there are DLPs. (I haven't been as into TVs as I used to be before FFXI devoured my life.) However, the 3 that Samsung initially released, I think the first DLPs, a 42, 50, and a 61.. were amazing TVs from what I hear.

@zoober.. my family has a Hitachi rear-projection CRT, and they love it.. but yeah it's kinda bulky.
    It's kind of funny that you talk about the lifetime expentancy of tvs... THEN go into DLP.

How long does a DLP projection lamp usually last?

It is safe to list the lamp life for most DLP front and rear projection televisions between 1000 and 2000 hours. I know that’s a cop out, but it’s hard to nail down a direct length of time. Some lamps might last only 500 hours while others may last 3000 hours. The window is so broad because no one knows for sure how long one lamp will last versus another. They’re like light bulbs, and depending on how you use them, some will just last longer.

To put it simply, if you watched television three hours a day the lamp would last approximately 333 days at the 1000-hour lamp life and 666 days at the 2000-hour lamp life. That’s pretty realistic because most people will want/need to replace their lamp every 1-2 years, but there are stories of people replacing a lamp every 6-8 months or every 3-4 years.
    DLP are nice unless you have notice the screen door effect. Some models have a pretty bad screen door effect and viewing angels can be meh on some HDTVs. Some people see them, some people don't. Also be aware most replacement services don't cover DLP bulbs.

Bottom line. Go to the store yourself, what looks best to you? Ask if you can hookup your own inputs (especially at a shitty store setting like Best Buy) and check their return policies.

Plasmas, LCDs have about the same longetivy now. Most are around 60,000 till half life.

The Optimistic Asshole
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Tyche Six
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry

Places i looked said that LCD has a worse "screen door" effect than DLP as far as projectors go. I don't know if the same applies for televisions. It's also been tested by texas instruments that DLP lasts longer than LCD (article here). Seems to me that DLP is better with higher contrast ratio's as well (up to 10,000:1 on high end now).

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

We have a 55" Sony LCD Rear-Projection HDTV in our living room and it's awesome. The only complaint my dad has with it is you do have to change a bulb inside the TV every 2-4 years depending on how much you use it but we got an extended warranty for $200 for 5 years and bulb replacement was included pretty good deal since a replacment bulb alone is around $200 with the warranty we got that covered and any other crap that shit happen. But ya if you the space for it I'd advise in either a DLP from Samsung or one of Sony rear-projection TV's either the LCD or the SXRD's which can display 1080p and you get more screen size for less money rather then buying a flat-panel.