+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Relic Weapons
    BG Level

How's this television for Xbox 360?

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-TH-50PX ... B000F4CTUK

We just bought this TV, and I'm thinking of getting a 360 for Christmas.

What do you guys think of this TV?

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

It's a 50" Plasma... is there anything else to think but 'awesome'? Well, it's awesome compared to my 27" inch tube TV anyway...

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

I'm just wondering because I've been to the GFaqs boards and they some LCD's are better for HD Games then plasma's...of course that is GFaqs, 90% of the population there are idiots.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Nazjatar

do you like shooters/sports game and plan on playing on xbox live?

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by izembo
    do you like shooters/sports game and plan on playing on xbox live?
    Yes I like shooters, don't play much sports, but my brothers do. I will be getting Live, not right away though. Why do you ask?

Plasmas are obviously you know the most advanced tv's there are. Rumors I have heard regarding plasmas though is that when playing extreme graphics games (X360) the plasma will run out after a year or two. I have heard LCD is better than Plasma for that reason.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok
    WoW Realm
    Nazjatar

majority of the games for 360 are shooters/sports games. the shooters are notiously short, most lasting 5-10hours for the single player and are designed around the multiplayer aspect.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Po
    Plasmas are obviously you know the most advanced tv's there are. Rumors I have heard regarding plasmas though is that when playing extreme graphics games (X360) the plasma will run out after a year or two. I have heard LCD is better than Plasma for that reason.
    Hmm, maybe I shouldn't get one. I don't want to kill my family's TV that fast. >.>

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

As long as it supports 1080p and properly scales from other formats.

wtf did I say 1080i?

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Rumors I have heard regarding plasmas though is that when playing extreme graphics games (X360) the plasma will run out after a year or two. I have heard LCD is better than Plasma for that reason.
    I don't post often, but I just had to say this isn't true. Any TVs lifespan is decided by how often you use it, not what you're watching on it. Plasma is no exception. That being said, "modern high quality plasma TVs will last around 60,000 hours of viewing (2,500 days, or nearly 7 years)" (source)

Only thing to worry about with Plasma TVs is to not leave still images on the screen for a long time because of possible burn-ins, but this (apparently) isn't as big of a problem as it use to be.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Resin Midwater
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

We've been using a Pioneer 50" plasma for a couple years for PS2/GameCube/XBox360 without any problems whatsoever. I don't know if we just got lucky, or if Pioneers are better, or what.

Also, just make sure you get whatever extended warranty and you'll be fine, no?

Black Belt
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

10000:1 contrast ratio, supports all hd resolutions including 1080p, go for it man.

Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

Quote Originally Posted by Zigma
    10000:1 contrast ratio, supports all hd resolutions including 1080p, go for it man.
    mmm 1080p... nice price too, good buy.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Well, we bought it a few weeks ago, and it came in last week already. I'm just asking if it looks good. I don't want to kill a TV we just blew 2 grand on...

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Popeh Stein
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Not entirely true.

There is nothing advanced about Plasma's - in fact LCD is where the technology goes.

Providing you don't leave your xbox on pause with your TV switched on for weeks (it's been known) you shouldn't have any issues - average life expectancy 30,000 hours (or 10 years).

If your going for a screen above 40" plasma is the best option unless you buy a Philips LCD with ClearLCD technology, under that size LCD is probably the best.

Only reason being motion blur is more obvious on 40" and above on LCD screens - plasma's don't have that problem.

>.>

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nikko Toska
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Plasmas: Suffer from burn in if playing games/screens with still images.
    LCD Flat panel: No Burn in issues, but the lighting element needs to be replaces every 5ish years.
    LCD Rear projection: Larger screens for the same price as the flat panels. No burn in issues. Lamp needs to be replaced every few years, but is cheaper to do than the LCD.

I went with a Sony Grand Wega end of the line 1080i 42" TV. Very very nice and I've been really happy with it. The lamp is pulled out the side of the TV and can be replaced without moving the TV. Sony uses 3 LCDs (one red, one green, one blue) and combines the image for a very clear, true picture. The equiviland LCD Flat panel was a 32" for $100 more.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Quote Originally Posted by Zigma
    1366x768 native resolution isn't 1080p.

Old Merits
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Popeh Stein
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Aodh
    Only in EXTREME situations - we're talking the same still image for almost weeks before you get permanent burn (continuously).

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

completely false. i used to work in a high end private stereo/tv shop and we never hooked video games up to the plasma tv's it might have changed since this was 2 years ago but the plasma's burn in images really fast.

we had a tivo unit hooked up to a 50" plasma (sharp) and it only took about 15-20 minutes to get an image burned in.

one time my boss accidentally left a basketball game on the tv for a couple hours and it burned the static sports logo in.

the one good thing about plasmas though is if you do burn an image in you can get rid of it and fix your tv by playing full screen full motion movies on it for a certain amount of time. when the sports logo was burned in we just put movies on and let them run all day while we were open about 8 hours i think and by the end of the day the burned images were gone.

its true LCD panels do not have the problem of burning in, have low power consumption, and have higher industry support technology wise.

when an image is burned into a screen its because the image is imprinted in the phosphor panel, so any tv that uses phosphors is subject to burn-in images. this includes almost all of the rear projection tvs and CRTs and plasmas, LCD panels do not have phosphor in them. LCD rearprojection used to use phosphor in them but i am not sure if they do anymore.

in my experience plasma = flat and takes up less space, bad black levels, high resolution, ok for movies, BAD for gaming

CTR = best technology out there, best picture highest resolution, best black levels, no one makes good ones anymore ; ;

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Nikko Toska
    FFXIV Server
    Tonberry
    FFXI Server
    Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Popeh
    Quote Originally Posted by Aodh
    Only in EXTREME situations - we're talking the same still image for almost weeks before you get permanent burn (continuously).
    I remember seeing the Screensavers talking about plasma's way back when (god that's a while ago now). They used plasma's on the set and displayed the Screensavers logo for 1-2h each day. The image was burned into the screen. They've gotten better with protection, but they are still prone to it where LCD doesn't have the problem at all. Also the gas slowly (like over 5-10years slowly) leaks out of the TV and they gradually go dull. For FFXI, you can expect to see a nice signet mark left on the screen.