Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    New Merits
    BG Level

Greater Wrym Farming (Jorm and Vrtra for LS gil)

Foreword: Yes, this is my first serious post on the BG forums. No, I'm not a total fucking noob... Just for background information, my LS is currently 2/2 on Tiamat, 1/2 on Jormy and 0/2 on Vrtra. It should also be noted that these attempts were many months ago and we have recently picked up many new recruits as well as lost a few core members since then.

Ok. So recently my LS has been discussing ways we can farm gil as a group because the kitty (bank) has been running low. Money drops from sky Gods just don't cut it these days...

I came up with the suggestion that we could farm Jormy and/or Vrtra for their money drops (considering thats all they really are good for). On our server (Kujata) these NMs go largely uncontested for days/weeks/months at a time. Tiamat on the other hand is a different story but we'd never even think about selling the gaiters/kote anyways so she won't even be considered in this discussion.

By my estimates, at current market rates, defeating Jormy and Vrtra would net approximately 10m and 20m minimum respectively.

Here are my questions to you.
    1) What is your LS's minimum kill time (including gathering) for each of these wyrms? Please include the numbers present for argument's sake.
    2) What is the minimum number of people your LS has used to successfully defeat each wyrm? Please include the kill time for argument's sake.
    3) What could you use as primary damage source when low on SMNs? Melee or BLM?
    4) In your opinion, is this a worthwild use of LS resources in terms of gil earned versus time spent (including the time it might take to sell the drops)?

Thanks alot, I appreciate any usefull input.

Footnote: I estimate 2 pages before this gets derailed...

Re: Greater Wrym Farming (Jorm and Vrtra for LS gils)

Quote Originally Posted by Sady
    Footnote: I estimate 2 pages before this gets derailed...
    You are beeing over-confident.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Probably better off setting up a bunch of ls ENMs, selling drops, collecting cloud evokers and killing ouryu.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Janice
    Probably better off setting up a bunch of ls ENMs, selling drops, collecting cloud evokers and killing ouryu.
    Beat me to it.

Old Merits
    BG Level

I hope you have better luck getting evokers to drop than my group does. We literally have not seen an evoker in months.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Jer
    I hope you have better luck getting evokers to drop than my group does. We literally have not seen an evoker in months.
    Well if you are considering Jorg runs, you could easily switch it to everyone lets go do Ugly range ENMs and whatever other ENMs. If you just do corse once a week, you won't get much. But if your ls is serious (if you can actually convince your ls members to do multiple ENM runs often), you can have a ton of chances a week.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Ah, I'm not in their LS. But my group does Bionic Bug, Fire in the Sky, When Hell Freezes Over, Test Your Mite, and either Antlion in Sheep's Clothing/Shell We Dance/or Totentanz whenever the timers are up. We have had a lot of chances, just no drops.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Jer
    You have a point. Actually i've been doing 3 ENMs a week with a static for like 1 year, sometimes skipping 1 of the 3 (Brothers in Bearclaw Pinnacle, Bugboy in Mine Shaft #2716 and Antlion in Boneyard Gully - duoing the Eft now instead). Add to that my weekly Fire in the Sky & Uninvited Guests duo, that's 5 chances a week. I have seen a whole total of ONE Cloud Evoker drop in Mine Shaft.

But heh i know i have really bad luck usually, i'm glad other people in the shell got some when i didn't.

There's no secret for farming evokers, doing 1 alliance ENM each week won't give you much, but split 18 people in groups of 3 people, do like 3 different ENMs every week and that's 18 weekly chances of getting evokers.

Edit : Almost forgot, 18-man Uninvited Guests can help too. 18 chances to get one for just one easy fight does help.

Jormungand:
    1) Maybe 1h20, because we were already gathered for something else (I don't remember what) so we got there quickly; probably 24 or 25 people. Plan 2-2.5 hours to gather and kill to be safe.
    2) 20-22; has barely been done with 12 (Wopadobop's LJ), should be reasonable with 1 alliance of 18. I don't remember kill times, but it definitely scales with the number of smns present (we haven't killed Jorm in a long time, so I haven't seen what we could do with other DD on Jorm).
    3) If low on smn, blm > sam > rng. You'll have hate issues however unless your tanks are really good, but even with only 2-3 smn this fight doesn't take too long.
    4) Works out to 10mil/(2 hours * 18 people = 36 man-hours) = 278k/man-hr. Decent if you've gone through the more efficient means such as ENMs, ISNMs, BCNMs.

Vrtra:
    1) 1h20 again, with 36 people. Vrtra's a little easier to get to, and takes a little longer to kill than Jorm. Should always be able to do it within 2-2.5 hours again.
    2) 34 is probably the lowest we've gone, with only slightly lower kill times (maybe 1h40-2h). I could see it being done with 24 with a little luck and some really skilled and well-equipped players (14 on Vrtra, 10 blm for summons/repops - 4 Gjallerhorns would make it a lot easier :D).
    3) Vrtra is a lot harder to keep solid hate on than Jorm or Tiamat, so jobs besides smn can't do as much damage. The same jobs as Jorm should be able to help, but they won't significantly decrease kill time. Need 3 smn minimum to take Vrtra down reasonably.
    4) About the same as Jorm in most circumstances; 20mil/(2 hours * 36 people = 72 man-hours) = 278k/man-hr.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

1) What is your LS's minimum kill time (including gathering) for each of these wyrms? Please include the numbers present for argument's sake.
    2) What is the minimum number of people your LS has used to successfully defeat each wyrm? Please include the kill time for argument's sake.
    3) What could you use as primary damage source when low on SMNs? Melee or BLM?
    4) In your opinion, is this a worthwild use of LS resources in terms of gil earned versus time spent (including the time it might take to sell the drops)?
    since its not lolHiruke asking, i guess i can answer

yeah DB hasnt attempted these in a long time, lost to Vrtra due to both engagement attemps started because Vrtra aggroed the group before we were ready + had only 7-9 BLMs trying to control summons

1) Tiamat- 1 hour gather, 56min kill
    Jormungand- 2 hour gather? 1 1/2 hour kill
    Vrtra- 2 hour gather, about 1 hour 20 mins kill

2) Tiamat- 25 in 56 mins awhile back, could do better with practice
    Jormungand- 27-29 in about 2 hours: 1-2 flails, early in the morning...etc, i wasnt even there
    Vrtra- umm 35-40 idk

3) Tiamat/Jormungand: melees SCing and a few BLMs doing MBs while grounded, light nukes from BLMs while in the air.
    Vrtra: 1-2 SCs per pass, 2-5 BLMs MBing off of it...have melees WS in the front if you're not solid on hate

4) Jormungand is -not- a worthwhile cash cow on Kujata anymore, we have about 12 unsold Molybdenum Ores on the LS mule, they just dont sell anymore....the only thing that might rack up in cash is a Wyrm Horn every time you kill. Vrtra's cashmere shit is easily synthed into manteels, but due to the recent market deflux selling/synthing cashmere/manteels is a little less than a mild cash cow.

The CoP wyrms on Kujata are more like a fun "other thing to do" on Kujata, Tiamat is really the only worthwhile wyrm from Gaiters but you and me both know who goes into 12 year-old mode with GM calls if somebody touches their "Identity and Pride".

Science Fiction Super Fan
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

1. tiamat 45 min kill - 15 min gather tank with nin/drk. killed with as few as 14

2. vrtra 1.5 hour kill - 30-1hr to gather time kite with pld/war. killed with as few as 24

3. jorm 1.5 hour kill - 30-1hr gather time. tank with pld/nin/war nin/drk/war. killed with as few as 14

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Gil not Gils...

Pretty much agree with the gathering/fight times. Jorm is a pain for many people to get to and hard to explain to someone who doesn't know how to get there.

Honestly though, it's really hard to sell wyrm horns, ores from Jorm, and cloth mats from Vrtra at this point in time. Dunno how other's attempts at selling the mats have gone but it's been tough for our LS.

Galkasaur
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Valefor

Ores from Jorm might as well be worthless, they take *forever* to sell, I really don't see him as good profit at all. Wyrm horns will sell, but even they can take a little bit of time.

New Merits
    BG Level

Cool, thanks for the input.

I agree with the ENM runs, but it is hard to motivate peopel when 9/10 runs fucking blow...

Nidhogg
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Kujata

I know you only asked about greater wyrms, but hydra sits around unclaimed a lot I think. I'd be willing to bet that someone like Deku would be willing to spend millions on getting the HQ of that SAM/DRG JSE for his e-peen.

Cerb hides go for 7mill to.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by takedown2
    1. tiamat 45 min kill - 15 min gather tank with nin/drk. killed with as few as 14

2. vrtra 1.5 hour kill - 30-1hr to gather time kite with pld/war. killed with as few as 24

3. jorm 1.5 hour kill - 30-1hr gather time. tank with pld/nin/war nin/drk/war. killed with as few as 14
    Rule of thumb for Cerberus HNMls kill claims, double the number then add 5.

Quote Originally Posted by Isildur
    The CoP wyrms on Kujata are more like a fun "other thing to do" on Kujata, Tiamat is really the only worthwhile wyrm from Gaiters but you and me both know who goes into 12 year-old mode with GM calls if somebody touches their "Identity and Pride".
    I lol'ed

Quote Originally Posted by Isildur
    + had only 7-9 BLMs LOL?trying to control summons

1) Tiamat- 1 hour gather, 56min kill
    The same LS claims those two things?

Science Fiction Super Fan
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by MF Perm
    Quote Originally Posted by takedown2

Rule of thumb for Cerberus HNMls kill claims, double the number then add 5.
    so your ONE jorm kill with 40+ and your ONE vrtra kill with 50+ make you a professional on the topic eh fu

the details i gave were for the best outings we've had on those mobs

just cuz your fake LS needs 50 ppl to kill vrtra doesnt mean we all do

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast