Thread: Dark Magic Potency     submit to reddit submit to twitter

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Alistaire Lexander
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

Re: Dark Magic Potency

When you drained while it absorbed dark, did draining it give you hp or damage you?

iirc, if you drain while it's in dark mode, you gain the HP, but so does love. i know for a fact, i managed to heal it a % when it was in dark mode, thinking it was dealing damage. even still, aspir still works, since his MP is a non-issue, regardless of if it heals love's MP or not, and when he's in dark mode, he's not going to resist at all. even a whm/blm can land a modest aspir on it w/o ES in my experience.

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

I got 189 aspir last tuesday with Pluto's staff and double dark weather without dark day, so 120 cap seems a bit off.

Sunday's Limbus. Dark Seal+Diabolos's Pole+Anrin Obi on Darksday.

http://img240.imageshack.us/img240/1082/drainiicm1.jpg

I've been frequently(ish) getting aspirs just above 120 (122-127) with capped dark magic (blm), sorc gloves, Wiz tonban and nashira hat, plus 30 int from misc gear and NQ dark staff, no obi or natural day/weather proc.

I screenied some to post but promptly forgot to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by ubermonkey
    I've been frequently(ish) getting aspirs just above 120 (122-127) with capped dark magic (blm), sorc gloves, Wiz tonban and nashira hat, plus 30 int from misc gear and NQ dark staff, no obi or natural day/weather proc.

Nothing against you because I don't expect everyone to know and understand how things like this work, but as I tried to explain earlier on this page and others explained a year ago when this topic was first made, the 120 cap for aspir is on the base value. This means that with NQ dark staff the max is 132, with pluto's 138, with pluto's on darksday or 1 dark weather is 151, pluto's + 2 dark weather is 172, and pluto's + darksday and 2 weathers is 186. If you magic burst it should increase it by the normal amount. Also obis don't add any bonus in themselves as your post seems to imply, but rather makes the day/weather bonuses 100% in the appropriate conditions, rather than an approx. 1/3 chance (meaning no effect on maximum potential values).

Quote Originally Posted by Gerion
    I got 189 aspir last tuesday with Pluto's staff and double dark weather without dark day, so 120 cap seems a bit off.
    As for people who claim to have gotten higher aspir values than the ones I listed above, I don't know what to say. I have no vested interest in perpetuating incorrect information, and while I and others can pretty much guarantee that this cap held at the time this topic was created, things are always subject to change by SE in updates with or without warning. I haven't seen anything personally to suggest that it's been changed, but on the same token I don't go out every two months and make a point to verify that it hasn't been. If you Aspir and get a value that you think suggests the base value cap no longer exists or was raised, just take a screenshot. If you want to be really serious about it, try to make it include a picture as it's being cast so people can see that you're not wearing a diablos pole and can see any day/weather conditions that are in effect, or a chatlog with an accompanying screenshot of gear/day/weather with both showing /clock. Short of that, the people like me who have a genuine interest in stuff like this probably aren't going to believe you, if you even care that we do or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Suiram
    Quote Originally Posted by ubermonkey

Nothing against you because I don't expect everyone to know and understand how things like this work, but as I tried to explain earlier on this page and others explained a year ago when this topic was first made, the 120 cap for aspir is on the base value. This means that with NQ dark staff the max is 132, with pluto's 138, with pluto's on darksday or 1 dark weather is 151, pluto's + 2 dark weather is 172, and pluto's + darksday and 2 weathers is 186. If you magic burst it should increase it by the normal amount. Also obis don't add any bonus in themselves as your post seems to imply, but rather makes the day/weather bonuses 100% in the appropriate conditions, rather than an approx. 1/3 chance (meaning no effect on maximum potential values).
    Ah, thanks. I have no idea how dark magic works as a function of skill to damage and caps, I thought I'd post some more anecdotal data.

Now I am informed :D

Closed Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8