Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Red Mage Tank     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Demosthenes11

Red Mage Tank

I think most of us have seen them in action by now, and I am looking to buy some gear to do it as well. I am really unsure of what is best, however, and I need some help...

Mainhands: Macuahuitl +1 x 2
    Ammo: Phantom Tathlum?
    Head: Duelist's Chapeau
    Body: Duelist's Tabard/Dalmatica (Don't have either), maybe Ogre Jerkin?
    Hands: Duelist's Gloves (don't have), was looking at garden bangles/dusk gloves
    Legs: Crimson Cuisses
    Feet:
    Neck: Harmonia's Torque
    Waist: Swift Belt
    Back: Umbra Cape/Gigant(?)/Cerberus Mantle(?)
    Earrings: eris earring +1 x2
    Rings: BQ/Bloodbead?

Thanks for help...felt topic wasn't worthy of main forum!

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syaoran Li
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

I've always been curious why people want to tank as RDM. If you want to tank so bad, can't you level a "tanking" job?

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Well utility could help. Go afk at a fafnir camp. If your tanks don't show up, you can tank. If tanks do show up, you can just be the gimpy /nin rdm.

You might wanna think about some darksteel+1 gear, a rdm can hit the 50% dmg reduction cap.

Relic Shield
    BG Level

Well I'm assuming you mean RDM/NIN tank... RDM/WAR tank is possible, I guess... but you need lots and lots of -dmg% gear and good enmity skills.

You mostly want to focus on Enmity and Haste/Fast Cast, and sub in Enhancing Magic gear for Phalanx and Stoneskin (and MND gear if you can).

Warlock's Chapeau > Duelist's Chapeau FYI (Don't even dare touching the turban or you fail at RDM). Duelist's Tabard > Dalmatica.

The only exception to the above case is if your mob attacks slow. You'd be safe to have one or both pieces on, in which case Refresh is good since you're using your spells to sustain hate.

+14 Enmity is a good number, roughly.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Qbert on asura used to go Rdm/War with Darksteel+1 stuff and all that wonderful -% dmg

I believe he's done some testing and posted it on KI somewhere in the Rdm section.

i've never seen a rdm/nin tank well, but i have seen rdm/war outtank paladins. a mithra rdm/war was taking less damage than a galka pld/war wearing full koenig, and keeping more hate. both had defending rings.
    the rdm's gear setup was
    main hand: terra's staff
    head: warlock's chapeau (they have duelist's)
    body: duelist's tabard (they also have dalm)
    hands/legs/feet: crimson (although i saw another rdm wearing the darksteel +1 legs)
    waist: warwolf belt
    back: umbra cape
    rings: defending and jelly or BQ, can't remember which
    i can't remember earrings

the strategy of it was to spam sleep, sleep2, dispel & provoke for hate, keep defender & phalanx on, and cure themself. i saw them do this on fafnir with about 10 people. the pld didn't have an overbearing amount of enmity gear, however, so that's probably why the rdm was so easily able to keep hate.

edit: i've been developing a rdm/war setup over time to eventually be able to tank things such as that >.> the difference in my setup is that i'm going to be macroing a ton of enmity gear.

Well, one of the situations where RDM tanking will perform well is on magic heavy mobs, read wyrms or proto-ultima CB, because of our innate high MDB.

Stack some more MDB & mob-specific elemental def+, -magic damage and RDM can block some pretty serious magic damage.

Enmity and HP should prolly take second and third place in this situation.

Another thing is, equip swaps will be essential if you want to tank succesfully, so dont just focus on 1 set, make specific def -damage%, MDB -magic%, enmity, HP etc sets and mix and match to suit the situation.

ps. blind & bind are also cheap and effective hate generators to be added in the cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by Cauac
    ps. blind & bind are also cheap and effective hate generators to be added in the cycle.
    oh, right, blind... i did see that one. but they didn't use bind, as this was before the mpk patch, and could potentially cause fafnir to turn around and flail them

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

We have had a rdm/nin tank Tiamat with a nin/drk. With capped MP, Enmity merits and proper gear it can be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortaldonut
    i've never seen a rdm/nin tank well, but i have seen rdm/war outtank paladins. a mithra rdm/war was taking less damage than a galka pld/war wearing full koenig, and keeping more hate. both had defending rings.
    the rdm's gear setup was
    main hand: terra's staff
    head: warlock's chapeau (they have duelist's)
    body: duelist's tabard (they also have dalm)
    hands/legs/feet: crimson (although i saw another rdm wearing the darksteel +1 legs)
    waist: warwolf belt
    back: umbra cape
    rings: defending and jelly or BQ, can't remember which
    i can't remember earrings

the strategy of it was to spam sleep, sleep2, dispel & provoke for hate, keep defender & phalanx on, and cure themself. i saw them do this on fafnir with about 10 people. the pld didn't have an overbearing amount of enmity gear, however, so that's probably why the rdm was so easily able to keep hate.

edit: i've been developing a rdm/war setup over time to eventually be able to tank things such as that >.> the difference in my setup is that i'm going to be macroing a ton of enmity gear.
    Pretty much how rdm/nin tanks, except without getting hit (most of the time).

rdm tank needs decent support though, otherwise it's pretty viable at fafnir (I never got a chance to do it though, even though I went to some camps geared for it ; ; )

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Quote Originally Posted by Carbon
    Warlock's Tabard > Duelist's Tabard FYI (Don't even dare touching the turban or you fail at RDM). Duelist's Tabard > Dalmatica.
    Did you mean Chapeau? Not sure why Warlock's Tabard would be good for tanking really..

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Quote Originally Posted by Stellar
    Warlock's Tabard > Duelist's Tabard FYI (Don't even dare touching the turban or you fail at RDM). Duelist's Tabard > Dalmatica.
    Did you mean Chapeau? Not sure why Warlock's Tabard would be good for tanking really..
    I'm guessing for Spell Interruption Rate down on Warlock's Tabard. (But 5% off of timers is sexy too.)

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Hmm, unless you're planning on already hitting the recast cap, I can't imagine choosing interrupt rate down over a better recast.. maybe it's just the ninja in me..

Quote Originally Posted by Septimus
    Quote Originally Posted by Stellar
    I'm guessing for Spell Interruption Rate down on Warlock's Tabard. (But 5% off of timers is sexy too.)
    i think the duelist's tabard would definitely be better for tanking. the hate spells are hardly difficult to get off between swings if the NM is properly enfeebled, and the recast on a couple of the high-hate spells could the the clincher between the redmage tank holding hate or a blm biting the dust. Looking at the specifics of each piece of gear, I don't see how the af1 would be better than the af2. Duelist's has slightly more defense and mp, and it has +agi instead of +chr (lol). as far as the magic skill stat goes, i don't think there's really a need for either when your focus is tanking. the only really debatable stat is the 10% interruption rate down vs. fast cast enhancement. in my opinion, the lower recasts and faster cast times would trump the interruption rate while trying to keep hate or trying to keep shadows up (if you do it /nin). i thought about crimson mask for the defense and hp while tanking, but i decided against it because of the benefits of the fast cast enhancement (for my own tanking setup that i'm working on).

P.S. does anyone find it ironic that this discussion is going on in the "newbie" forum and the big discussion in the "advanced player" forum is about the color of adaman hauberks?

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Septimus Atumre
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

P.S. does anyone find it ironic that this discussion is going on in the "newbie" forum and the big discussion in the "advanced player" forum is about the color of adaman hauberks?
    Adaman Hauberks are serious business.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Adaberk is super serial...

Now that I remember Qbert's thing was about -% damage reduction as a whole. Phalanx and such. He tested on cactuars to determine the actual % rate which is lower than it's number.

Quote Originally Posted by SassiAsura
    Adaberk is super serial...

Now that I remember Qbert's thing was about -% damage reduction as a whole. Phalanx and such. He tested on cactuars to determine the actual % rate which is lower than it's number.
    i seem to remember someone testing damage reduction gear on ninja. and the test showed that it works like this:

start with full damage, and then you take off the highest % first on down.

so you get 100% -10% = 90% then take 7% from the 90% and so on, so you lose a little effectiveness with each piece of gear you add to the mix.

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Scythiroth
    've always been curious why people want to tank as RDM. If you want to tank so bad, can't you level a "tanking" job?
    Quote Originally Posted by Janice
    Well utility could help. Go afk at a fafnir camp. If your tanks don't show up, you can tank. If tanks do show up, you can just be the gimpy /nin rdm.
    Just to say something in defense of the job: It's a little like PLD/NIN, of course, but its top hate level and ability to maintain that is actually better in an ideal situation (with pretty good gear) - hardly "gimpy" at all and definitely "tank-y."

However, the curve building to that point is really slow, though, from my outsider POV, and it's seems really busy and stupidly MP intensive if you wanting to approach that level, which means the generic jobs are far more suitable when things are going to hell in a basket. Which happens.

start with full damage, and then you take off the highest % first on down.
    My Palm ---> My Face

Sonomaa needs to rename these forums to "game mechanics" and "HNM discussion," or something with more thought put into it than "newbie" and "advanced." It's only messing up what could be posted in either section. Who came up with that anyway, and why didn't it scream "bad idea" at them 7 weeks away?

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

RDM/NIN can hit a 23 sec Ni cast time and with full enmity can do a good amount of tanking on that.

Type 1 - Haste gear (Spells)

Fast Cast III - 10% Recast time reduction
    Duelist Tabard - 5% Recast (-15% total)
    Warlock Chapeau - 5% Recast (-20% total)
    Loquacious Earring - 1.5% Recast (-21.5% Total)

Haste part:

Haste spell +15% haste
    Speed Belt +6% Haste (21% haste, 6% from gear)
    Dusk Gloves +1 +4% haste (+25% haste, 10% from gear)
    Nashira Legs +2% Haste (+27% haste, 12% from gear)
    Dusk Ledelsens +3% haste (+30% haste, +15% from gear)

Note: The additional from the Loquacious Earring is used to cap out as 50% is not really 50% (Taken from evidence posted by Qbert on -% damage)

2 Macros will be used for the cast including 1 full before cast and 1 for the rest of the gear and the actual cast. (Leaving 1 line free)

Type 2 - Enmity Gear (worn when not changing gear)

Food: Dorado Sushi +3 Enmity (for acc to hit and hold hate and sheer enmity)
    2x Macuahuitl +1 (+8 Enmity total, for +11 total)
    2x Eris Earring +1 (+6 Enmity total, for +17 total)
    Trance belt +4 Enmity (+21 total)
    Harmonia Torque +3 Enmity (+24 Total)
    Cerberus Mantle +3 enmity (+27 Total) (+1 is really hard to get)
    Heroic Boots +1 +2 Enmity (+29 Total)
    Mermaid Ring +2 Enmity (+31 Total)
    Rival Ribbon +2 Enmity (+33 Enmity)

Enmity Merits +4 (+37 Enmity)

That should just about fix any problem of an RDM tank, as long as the enemy attacks pretty averagely and doesn't do anything excessive. The RDM is going to be as fast as a Ninja on recast. Of course the hate is going to be massive from the RDM, but hopefully the curing won't be too much of a hassle with Stoneskin and phalanx.