+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: PLD!     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

PLD!

Ya, so i'm leveling Pld and need some advice on how to gear it from like 30-75. I often hear of Vit's uselessness, is this the case while leveling up also? There's not a whole lot of choices at low level, I guess the question would really be more of is Vit ever worth buffing?

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

/nin, haubergeon, life belt.

In shitty party: You outdamage everyone and keep hate
    In good party: You will lose hate to good melee, but those mnk, sam, and war should be able to handle the monsters if they turn it. Your flash, cover and cure III will help them if needed. A+ weapon and flash should allow you to hold hate for a good part of the fight anyway, while being a decent damage dealer and better tank.

That said, if you want to gear your character defensively, the options you have are kinda limited and obvious for most slot. For accessory, go with enmity over vit/def. Acc would probably do more good than a few vit/def, even if your gear is all defense

generally your major choice between vit and def is the food used, always go for your preferred def+% food (fish kabob when i lvled pld, i think there is stuff like carbonara now that is better?).
    most of the gear you use is set, eisen/kampf > brigandine > I.M > gaia tunic > AF, on the waist you'll probably use life belt 48-75, buckler earring is a good choice.

overall if you are galka or elvaan you won't need more Vit than your basic defense equip/food provides (+5/10), hume you might want to be closer to +10/15, mithra or taru +15 preferred but having +25 or more really won't make a difference D: i should never have listened to those plds who told me to use vit rings ><
    if you are taru or mithra and have a good budget, get a cassie earring, if you can't afford then taru would usually want at least a pigeon earring, also consider the RSE belts for HP+.

if anything i say is out of date ignore it, but vit does very little for you compared to def and fighting mobs which don't check it++ >.>

ExcaliMod
    Paper Towels? Who needs paper towels, Under the sink they go!

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

I start to think about an answer but I think any of my advice would be out of date as well. So much has changed since I was lvling 1-75

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

From 30 to about 55 I would still go with a Shield Skill/Enmity/Vit/Def setup.

The reason people talk about VIT being useless is that they are referring to extremely high level monsters, that have such a huge Attack and STR that it takes an absurd amount of VIT and DEF to see any results in average damage taken.

This does not, however, hold true against your average XP monsters. These are much closer in range to your VIT and DEF, so that stacking a fair amount of both will net an appreciable amount of damage mitigation.

From 30 to around 55, most people still do the standard IT/IT++ parties, and the DD's don't have access to insane gear and weaponskills, so a PLD's job is what it has always been, control the hate while taking as little damage as you can. You are able to do this by taking less damage (Shield, VIT, DEF) and having more Enmity for every action you take.

After you start XPing in the new areas, it can be very benefical to carry some DD gear and food around to adjust for the situation. PLD is a situational job, and has to be geared as such. There is no reason to try to be a DD if you are in a "standard" PT that is camping on IT++, just as there is no reason to stack 120 VIT and 600 DEF to burn through VTs.

The biggest boost PLD has recieved is our Shield Mastery. This causes our Shields to kick in more often, and gives us TP everytime we block an attack with our Shield. As such, it's a good idea to stack up on some
    +Shield Skill gear to help the Shield kick in more often.

Another topic is the Shields that we use. It's generally agreed that a Size 3 Shield has the best overall Block % / Damage absorbed ratio (Barring the Aegis, fully upgraded Relic). Size 3 are Kite-style shields, and I would strive to keep one of these equipped.

Some great pieces of gear that I think of off of the top of my head:

Buckler Earring, level 35, +3 Shield Skill
    Mermaid's Ring, level 43, +2 Enmity
    High Breath Mantle, level (36-38?), +5 Enmity & +38 HP
    Shield Torque, level 65, +7 Shield Skill, +7 HP
    Gallant Leggings (AF feet), level 52, +10 Shield Skill (Awesome gear)

I hope this helps out, if you have any questions feel free to PM me and I can offer at least my advice and experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaylia
    /nin, haubergeon, life belt.

In shitty party: You outdamage everyone and keep hate
    In good party: You will lose hate to good melee, but those mnk, sam, and war should be able to handle the monsters if they turn it. Your flash, cover and cure III will help them if needed. A+ weapon and flash should allow you to hold hate for a good part of the fight anyway, while being a decent damage dealer and better tank.

That said, if you want to gear your character defensively, the options you have are kinda limited and obvious for most slot. For accessory, go with enmity over vit/def. Acc would probably do more good than a few vit/def, even if your gear is all defense
    /war is going to be better than /nin for a long time; in xp fights, provoke is essential for securing initial hate. I do agree that you should definitely go DD paladin these days (haub, lifebelt, pcc, meat) and use your spells to support the pt when you inevitably lose hate.

23 years old
    Rating: total douchebag

BG Level

You can set initial hate with a flash and enmity gear here and there, though having another job at 75 to raise that moreso is better. I did perfectly fine just flashing every 22 seconds and curing myself during the fight while DDing. 1 cure III to start and maybe a IV if I lost enough HP to call for it, if I needed to spike it I'd use one of the 3 JA's.

Then again I'm probably not your typical case when it comes to people trying to DD paladin, and I started at 66 >_>

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by aurik
    /war is going to be better than /nin for a long time; in xp fights, provoke is essential for securing initial hate. I do agree that you should definitely go DD paladin these days (haub, lifebelt, pcc, meat) and use your spells to support the pt when you inevitably lose hate.
    Well, haubergeon mean lv 60+ usually. /war is generally better before that, I agree. I'm sure with merit and all, a pld could make it work before tho. I should have been more specific in my first post, sorry.

Before 60, I dont see what piece of gears could cause a problem. There is phalanx ring/vit ring, but most pieces are obvious, with very little bonus that matter.

Xavier

Surprised that nobody has suggested the awesome pld/whm w/ a lightstaff and verm/parade gorget alternative as main healer!

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syaoran Li
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier
    Surprised that nobody has suggested the awesome pld/whm w/ a lightstaff and verm/parade gorget alternative as main healer!
    I was JUST typing that.

ok, not really.

Tom Wilson will never be good.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Zero Star
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

I did PLD/NIN iirc 3x total times. Always in a JP pt with a NIN tank and no healer. PTs were on Lesser Colibri and the regular Colibri. NIN, PLD/NIN, BRD, 3xDD. BRD really was able to main heal and I helped a little.

Otherwise, just be a tank. PLD/WAR, ENM is the #1 choice for exp. Enmity> HP> w/e. I rarely lost hate from 37>72. Once I hit Mire and Thickets with Lv73+ DD it got hard. I would still hold hate for a bit but it was really more of a first voke thing and keep it off the mages. I did pull in a thickets party once as PLD/NIN and do some moderate DD, but PLD DD just isn't that amazing unless you got something like Joy/Kraken. I have any and all the best possible DD gear for PLD, from my other jobs.

If you try to DD, unless you have the best of the best gear, you are just setting up for failure. Taru PLD was easy to level tho, never ran out of MP so didn't have to worry about downtime. In the few spots I didn't have ENM or good HP/DEF gear I used something Acc wise to make sure I built TP faster.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I should have the best gear for the most part, I have a well equipped 75 ninja. I just questioned how useful /nin was until 74. I may mess around with it once I get a bit higher.. thanks for the replys

Ya know, I realize that's sarcasm but reading that I just remembered this taru DRK in my LS that has something like 1.2k MP without wearing full MP gear.

Makes me wonder if a Taru PLD/WHM could get more than most WHMs, lol.. In essense, with the right gear and played properly it'd be at least amusing.

Quote Originally Posted by RKenshin
    Ya know, I realize that's sarcasm but reading that I just remembered this taru DRK in my LS that has something like 1.2k MP without wearing full MP gear.

Makes me wonder if a Taru PLD/WHM could get more than most WHMs, lol.. In essense, with the right gear and played properly it'd be at least amusing.
    I'm seriously considering that route, gotta drag my ass into that m.body somehow or my LS will keep bitching >_<

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Post your provoke macro, thats always a good laugh.

Like Aurik said, /WAR will be essential to keep hate and MNKs subbing /NIN pre-70 are kinda lolable ;( (they barely can pull hate as /WAR, if you are PLD/WAR, at least in Non-Aht Urhgan areas). But if you are /NIN, they will be pulling hate off you all the time pre-70, and due to no ":Ni", they will be taking more damage than they should. You can go /NIN before 70, but you will need a THF all the time or a NIN tank. I would never invite a PLD to DD pre-70 though.
    The good swords start to become available from lvl 70+.
    Just go using the classic VIT/Enmity/Def gear with /WAR up to level 70. And like someone else said, on spots where you dont have a good Enmity/VIT gear available, just use an acc/atk gear. I did that with neck and belt.

However, my advice might be flawed due to the fact I didnt level in Aht Urhgan until level 71+. Rules might be different there.

EDIT: Sry Kaylia didnt see your fix.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Shuemue
    Quote Originally Posted by RKenshin

I'm seriously considering that route, gotta drag my ass into that m.body somehow or my LS will keep bitching >_<
    Whats the drama behind your M body? Or you have 75WAR and a whacked LS loot distribution system?

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Karina Silverstar
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Gilgamesh

With the numerous changes to PLD, you can afford to become a little more damage-geared in exp and use shield to mitigate a lot of damage. Assuming you have one, a PCC would be a great neck piece to wear, and on your waist I'd suggest a Life Belt when you hit 48. Depending on how hard you're getting hit, I'd keep a pair of Woodsman rings available too. With +30 acc and a A+ weapon you might not hit hard but you'll hit with decent accuracy, and connecting hits is a good way to keep hate. At 59 toss on a Haub.

A good melee DD carries different gear for different situations and a good PLD should as well. Carry a nice mix of defensive and offensive gear. For foods I'd suggest good defense food (I used Shallops Tropicale for defense food at lower level if I trusted the party not to kill me), some Bream Sushi (acc and +5 VIT), and round it off with some Mithkabobs or Sis Kebabi. When you start the party, do the first chain or so with no food and adjust your gear with each pull. If you can get the damage you're taking to a comfortable level, use a meat or sushi (depending on monsters and gear). If you can't, use defense food.

Enmity is great on HNMs, but in exp I always preferred to aid the hate I made with Voke, JAs, and Cures by doing some damage as well and it always worked fine for me.

Hay guyz, I was Shinebox but now I'm not!
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Don Katsu
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

I too plan to level paladin would it be worth it to put merits into sword for PLD exp?

I haven't put merits into any weapon yet because I haven't decided if I want to do Sword, Axe or Great Katana (when SAM is 75)

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by Shinebox
    I too plan to level paladin would it be worth it to put merits into sword for PLD exp?

I haven't put merits into any weapon yet because I haven't decided if I want to do Sword, Axe or Great Katana (when SAM is 75)
    Depend what your other job are, and what melee you play. With rdm and war, I think you should do a 6sword 6axes. Is your sam gonna see enough action to level g.ktn instead? I know mine won't, that's why I passed on the 14atk/acc you get from merit. I supose it wont hurt it too bad the few time I will use it against HNM

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast