Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: BLM: wut     submit to reddit submit to twitter

BLM: wut

My partner and I have been zerging jobs to 75 together, and are aiming to do BLM next. The problem is that in ~150 levels of exp together I have made all but one of the parties, and not a single one of them has included a black mage <___<; I love melee burns, and since I headhunt most of my members rather than /sea all inv, I generally get approximately what I want for pt setup :D.

So yeah, now we both wanna do BLM \o.O/ I know how to gear for the job and I'm sure I can puzzle out how to play it, but I would deeply appreciate some tips about pt setups and camps for parties with BLMs (2 or more ._.). Random stuff:

*Manaburn refresh: brd only? will rdm do? cor?
    *Manaburn pt size: how few can I get away with? ;o Can I duo at an acceptable rate (4-5k+), and if so where and at what level?
    *I was gonna search for it but I think it might have been before forum shift, someone linked to an alla guide to leveling on bst mobs' pets that sounded like hella good exp. Any thoughts on that? I've read about duoing gobby pets in bibiki for high exp, sounded nice ._.

Thanks in advance^^/

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syaoran Li
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

In the times that I manaburned (level 55+), was mostly BRD refresh. I had a few parties with COR also, and those worked just as well, sometimes better actually.

Most of the manaburns that I had were full parties, so not sure on sizes. The only time I have duo'd is at 75 on puddings. x.x I've heard of BST pets being good, but I don't know any places for those. ; ;

Manaburn is yucky xp until very very late game. Just meleeburn with rdm, brd, blm, war, war, nin and make sure you don't do spiders until after 64.

edit and if you wanna have 2 blms in a pt, you're pretty much doomed to crappy xp until the 70s.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

brds nice but not totally necassary, rdm will work. ive also been in mana pt w/o either and it worked fine.

didnt get in to my first mana burns until i was around 50 ish or w/e lvl u get ur first AM spell. me and friend would ocassionaly duo crabs in kuftal tunnel at 52 ish. its great exp but it gets really borin after a while.

i also found like when thered actually be enough to make a pt, 2x blm in the pt, we could AM zerg the crabs from bout 60 percent to death makin exp go really fast.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Beastman's pet from 40 to 68. Can get a 4k-5k solo all the way.
    Besieged after to 75

But seriously, if you want to xp with 2blm, you would be better in a conventional pt. Making a manaburn works pre 74 is really hard, and xp is generally not much better than the 5-6k/h you would get with a normal party.

Problem with blm is lv 68-73 imo. You suck in normal party, and manaburning isnt efficient at those level.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Beastmen pets 45-65

Aydeewa rats (around blu quest pool) - 65-70

Wamoura princes 70-75

Duo works well on the last 2 but solo is still "ok".

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by Scorp
    Beastmen pets 45-65

Wamoura princes 70-75

I know I dinged 68 in bikiki bay, and I was still doing 5k/h. They changed mobs placement since then, but it should still work.

Where are these pets? ;x I ran a search and it came up with the worst equipped mage/melee thread, on page 13/42 scrolling through looking for it now >< Thank you for all the responses by the way :D

edit: ohi2u http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/db/jobs.html ... 4305;num=5

Crabs are your friends.

With milk. With love
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Cenarion Circle

Beastmen pets 45-65

Wamoura princes 70-75

Stay away from Wamoura Princes till 75 (maybe 73 if your a taru with a good mind for soloing & excellent gear). Too many variables working against you anywhere before then to be effective. I'd probabbly think maybe elementals in Sky would be a better bet for 70-75.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Can you solo elementals at 70?

Actually blm burns aren't that bad once you get freeze. I static'd my blm with 3 other blm's, a brd and an rdm. We'd easily get 7k an hour going to the same xp spots where you normally would at those levels. The nice thing about blm burns at the lower levels is you can go to a new zone a level or two than normal. like for instance, we went to bibiki bay at 57-58 and got anywhere from 7k to 9k per hour. Although going to a diff zone at a lower level than normal means ele skill gear is your friend.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by Kimiko
    Beastmen pets 45-65

Wamoura princes 70-75

Stay away from Wamoura Princes till 75 (maybe 73 if your a taru with a good mind for soloing & excellent gear). Too many variables working against you anywhere before then to be effective. I'd probabbly think maybe elementals in Sky would be a better bet for 70-75.

You can get xp on those, but can you get more than 4k/h?

Re: BLM: wut

Quote Originally Posted by Fingerspitz
    My partner and I have been zerging jobs to 75 together, and are aiming to do BLM next. The problem is that in ~150 levels of exp together I have made all but one of the parties, and not a single one of them has included a black mage <___<; I love melee burns, and since I headhunt most of my members rather than /sea all inv, I generally get approximately what I want for pt setup :D.

So yeah, now we both wanna do BLM \o.O/ I know how to gear for the job and I'm sure I can puzzle out how to play it, but I would deeply appreciate some tips about pt setups and camps for parties with BLMs (2 or more ._.). Random stuff:

*Manaburn refresh: brd only? will rdm do? cor?
    *Manaburn pt size: how few can I get away with? ;o Can I duo at an acceptable rate (4-5k+), and if so where and at what level?
    *I was gonna search for it but I think it might have been before forum shift, someone linked to an alla guide to leveling on bst mobs' pets that sounded like hella good exp. Any thoughts on that? I've read about duoing gobby pets in bibiki for high exp, sounded nice ._.

Thanks in advance^^/
    In the lower levels, if you get a few good melee and set up multiple skillchains, mobs will die pretty fast, ideally SAMx2, NIN and the odd refresh. Substitute in any fast TPing melee and support I suppose and SC all day.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

From 50-60 Exp is extrememly good in Bibiki Bay. Pull the Goblin Animalier's pets. (rabbits i think). Sleep > Freezex2 > Death. 2 blm for this is ideal, but i've done it solo.

I leveled my BLM from 37 to jeez...idk, 65ish? in a static, which seemed to work rather well. It was NIN, BRD, RDM, DRK, BLM, BLM. After 65ish, we kinda fell apart. Luckly, it was before BLMs were seemingly obsolete ; ; But you might be able to pull off some kind of static with a similar setup.
    Good Luck ^^;

Hay guyz, I was Shinebox but now I'm not!
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Don Katsu
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

50+ you can manaburn for about ~5-7k an hour easily just find crabs. Melee is faster but if you're set on leveling BLM this is probably your best option, otherwise expect to help heal in melee heavy parties.