BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Kuno Sedai
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

Microsoft Word Virus Alert

Microsoft on Dec. 5 warned that an unpatched vulnerability in its Word software program is being used in targeted, zero-day attacks.

A security advisory from the Redmond, Wash., company said the flaw can be exploited if a user simply opens a rigged Word document.

There are no pre-patch workarounds available. Microsoft suggests that users "not open or save Word files," even from trusted sources. "As a best practice, users should always exercise extreme caution when opening unsolicited attachments from both known and unknown sources," the company said.
    http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,2068786,00.asp

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Affected software versions include Microsoft Word 2000, Microsoft Word 2002, Microsoft Office Word 2003, Microsoft Word Viewer 2003, Microsoft Word 2004 for Mac and Microsoft Word 2004 v. X for Mac. The Microsoft Works 2004, 2005 and 2006 suites are also affected because they include Microsoft Word.
    Looks like 2007 and Office XP versions are potentially safe. Break out the Wordpad for memos people.

People use word?

I always though the purpose of writing documents is for people to be able to read them

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

I wonder how many idiots will fall to this

Hay, I got this email from mailto[email protected] and he sent me an application! I better open it up and see what it says!

The load on our mailservers doesn't seem to be increasing.

Most virus outbreaks don't make it through greylisting unless the virus uses the victim's smtp server, and even then it gives you an hour for your anti-virus definitions to get a head start.