+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Defense Down     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Defense Down

Hmm, not sure if this is really nooby or not, but I chose the advanced section!

I'm curious which defense down abilities stack with eachother.. especially Acid bolts, Frightful roar, Enervation, Drg 2 hour (Spirit Surge) etc, and if these stack at all or the most powerful one takes priority.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

I'm pretty sure they have a priority on the % given. So a higher % will over a lower %.

Different types of the same effects will now cancel one another. For example Acid Bolt is 12.5% and Dia II is 10.25125 (or something) but both will be in effect on the monster. Same as Spirit Surge Jump -30% defense. To my knowledge the only time an effect is canceled is when it is overridden by a stronger spell. Example Dia III over Dia II over Dia I.

I could be mistaken, but i believe Acid Bolts + Frightful Roar are the same "effect" so Frightful Roar replace Acid Bolts. Tomahawk will probably override them both though(not sure about this, it's all speculation :\).

A. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Alistaire Lexander
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas

With any effect, if it gives the same message they don't stack.

Frightful Roar: "...gains the effect of defense down."
    Acid Bolt "...defense down."

and whatever else says "defense down" don't stack. And if there's already a stronger stat mod on it, it generally won't say the message. Either it'll say "no effect" or if it's an added effect message like Acid Bolts, just won't say anything at all.

The only exception to that I can think of is Hojo: Ni's annoying ability to overwrite a rdm's slow (not slow II) even if that rdm's slow would be a higher % than hojo.

So the only things that "stack" are things with different messages. Dia+vit down+ def down all end up cumulatively affecting defense, because dia and vit down effects are slightly different.

Edit: and this is more of a noob question than advanced, but with the # of joke threads vs real questions in that section I wouldn't take that section seriously at this point anyway.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlokk
    I could be mistaken, but i believe Acid Bolts + Frightful Roar are the same "effect" so Frightful Roar replace Acid Bolts. Tomahawk will probably override them both though(not sure about this, it's all speculation :\).

*Angon I think you mean. Tomahawk is Special defence down for weapon types. Angon is def down in the same way as acid/roar.

Acid Bolt, Frightful Roar and Enervation don't stack with each other. Dia does stack with them. I'm not sure about armour break (can't think of the name of the greataxe move right now) or the relic weapon def down.

yea my bad i mean angon ._.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Windred Sayna
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Turalyon

Quote Originally Posted by RangerNddare
    Different types of the same effects will now cancel one another. For example Acid Bolt is 12.5% and Dia II is 10.25125 (or something) but both will be in effect on the monster. Same as Spirit Surge Jump -30% defense. To my knowledge the only time an effect is canceled is when it is overridden by a stronger spell. Example Dia III over Dia II over Dia I.
    Where are you getting that -30% figure for spirit surge + jump? I've always heard -20% and that it's the same as angon. I know if you use spirit surge + jump and angon after, angon has no effect. The other way around, it works.

Old Merits
    BG Level

angon?

23 years old
    Rating: total douchebag

BG Level

Fucking feral.

spirit surge is more than angon. they do not stack. spirit surge will overwrite angon, angon will have no effect if spirit surge effect is on.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Quote Originally Posted by Tricen
    I'm pretty sure they have a priority on the % given. So a higher % will over a lower %.
    Are you "OMFG" the shiva faggot?

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

No, they're different. Back when I was on Shiva, Tricen was in my LS, Omfg was another character.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

Shellcrusher? Does it stack with any of these?

The only exception to that I can think of is Hojo: Ni's annoying ability to overwrite a rdm's slow (not slow II) even if that rdm's slow would be a higher % than hojo.

I could be mistaken, but I'm fairly sure that Hojo:Ni provides a more potent slow than rdm's slow 1.

From Wiki:

Hojo: Ni
    With the exception of meriting Slow II as Red Mage, this is the only player accesible spell that is, in effect, Slow II, other than Carnage Elegy.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by Darkblood
    From Wiki:

Hojo: Ni
    With the exception of meriting Slow II as Red Mage, this is the only player accesible spell that is, in effect, Slow II, other than Carnage Elegy.
    That wiki entry is worded oddly.

That's like saying:

"With the exception of the RDM spell Refresh, Mage's Ballad is the only player accessible spell that is, in effect, Refresh, other than Evoker's Roll."

Quote Originally Posted by Darkblood
    I could be mistaken, but I'm fairly sure that Hojo:Ni provides a more potent slow than rdm's slow 1.
    You're mistaken. Slow's potency is determined by the target and caster's MND scores, it can be less or more potent.

I thought MND just affected whether you were resisted on the spell to begin with, not how potent the spell actually was. Hojo: Ni just seems more potent when Im tanking for some reason.