Izzy Izumi
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Technical Issue

while running ffxi, if i alt tab and mouse over, say an icon or something in the start menu so that yellow info box comes up, i get extreme CPU and FFXI lag. does anyone else experience this and does anyone know how to fix it?

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

it's either your graphics card, your graphics driver or lack of ram

Quote Originally Posted by yrpaine
    it's either your graphics card, your graphics driver or lack of ram
    That's such a precise diagnosis. -.-

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

ok i'll try better, It's most likely memory. losing focus on the window would have your memory trying to dump data into virtual memory which is much slower, cloging your computer down. I'd still check your graphics driver version before investing money in more ram though. The OP didn't list any system specs or which other programs were running, which is why my first post was vague.

If OP is running any other programs than ffxi, he also should see how much memory they're taking up and if there's a memory leak.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

What video card are you using?

WASTE OF CURRENCY
    I CAN'T I CAN'T I CAN'T

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Izzy Izumi
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Quote Originally Posted by Kaylia
    ati 9600xt

it never did it before i formatted and reinstalled ffxi. the ONLY difference now is that i have an NTFS filing system instead of FAT32 (yes i'm a gaytard and was anti NTFS for the longest time)

i have 1 gig of ram so your memory diagnosis is way off, i'm not a retard lol. i'm wondering if its rendering the yellow popup boxes in some kind of 3d bullshit instead of just displaying a 2d box. i turned off all of windows little shadow/whatever visual enhancements and it still does it.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by ElSugahpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaylia
    ati 9600xt

it never did it before i formatted and reinstalled ffxi. the ONLY difference now is that i have an NTFS filing system instead of FAT32 (yes i'm a gaytard and was anti NTFS for the longest time)

i have 1 gig of ram so your memory diagnosis is way off, i'm not a retard lol. i'm wondering if its rendering the yellow popup boxes in some kind of 3d bullshit instead of just displaying a 2d box. i turned off all of windows little shadow/whatever visual enhancements and it still does it.

If it wasnt doing that before, I've no clue. I thought my shitty ati x550 was the cause , but it's probably not the case after reading this topic.

WASTE OF CURRENCY
    I CAN'T I CAN'T I CAN'T

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Izzy Izumi
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

imma install some new drivers or some shit, we'll see where it goes

WASTE OF CURRENCY
    I CAN'T I CAN'T I CAN'T

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Izzy Izumi
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

awesome, updated drivers, no more problem.

annoys me because i went through all the driver release notes for their drivers for the past 4 months, and there are no issues listed for FFXI. but, then again, i doubt they tested it with windower haha.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

annoys me because i went through all the driver release notes for their drivers for the past 4 months, and there are no issues listed for FFXI. but, then again, i doubt they tested it with windower haha.
    Video card driver?

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

glad the driver thing worked for you, without system specs it was hard to pick out what potential problems there were. I have 1gig of ram also, I've been too lazy to add more, but I'm definately getting slowdowns from ffxi in windowed mode with only 1 gig of ram since I'm also having a life (ok i lie i still play ffxi too much) and running other apps while playing ffxi now. I plan on going to 2 gigs soon which will hopefully get things running faster.

WASTE OF CURRENCY
    I CAN'T I CAN'T I CAN'T

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Izzy Izumi
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

hahah rebuke! it didnt work, it still does it. the thing about the system specs thing posted a few posts above this one is, the system specs shouldnt matter. It didnt do it before, and now it is. i'm wondering why, all of a sudden, its doing it. its gotta be something with rendering these boxes in 3d. i'll try to figure out where to turn it off

*EDIT* yes video card driver was the one i updated

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

per the POL website

"Compatibility has been confirmed for the following graphics cards using the "Catalyst 5.13" driver."
    - RADEON 9600 series
    *The above information is confirmed as of October 2006. Later drivers or graphics cards may not function correctly or be detected.

pol also doesn't like it if you manually try to force anti-aliasing, if you have that on some pre-set # try application-controlled

The type of ram youre using could also be factor, not all ram is created equally! :D

post count +1

WASTE OF CURRENCY
    I CAN'T I CAN'T I CAN'T

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Izzy Izumi
    FFXIV Server
    Sargatanas
    FFXI Server
    Phoenix
    WoW Realm
    Arthas

Quote Originally Posted by yrpaine
    per the POL website

"Compatibility has been confirmed for the following graphics cards using the "Catalyst 5.13" driver."
    - RADEON 9600 series
    *The above information is confirmed as of October 2006. Later drivers or graphics cards may not function correctly or be detected.

pol also doesn't like it if you manually try to force anti-aliasing, if you have that on some pre-set # try application-controlled
    thank you!

i do have forced anti-alasiang on. i got into tweak ui and i turned fading menus off, gonna give that a shot before i screw with anti-alasing.