Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    With milk. With love
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Cenarion Circle

What to look for in recruits

Ok, now that we're in the process of forming a new endgame shell, I'd like some opinions as to what to look for in a recruit. Not so much in terms of levels and equipment, that's easy enough to find out, but more in terms of play style, character, general reputation and what not.

Typing skillzzzzzzzzzz.

Black Belt
    BG Level

I'd go with non-idiots and work from there.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Wow Dank, nice buy.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Quote Originally Posted by DankKujata
    Typing skillzzzzzzzzzz.
    Yes, you can eliminate 80% of the retard like this.

Anyway, what you need to avoid imo is:
    1) Drama whore. Ask around about that person to know what kind of backstory they were involved in.

2) Shitty gears. (ie: never get a samurai in hachiman, a rdm in JSE, a war without haubergeon) You want players dedicated to their shell, and if they can't even spend enough time on their gear, they wont help you.

3) Don't invite War, last thing you want is to camp another Ridill

4) Play time. Someone who play once a week wont be useful, and will cause drama sooner or later (usually after winning an item someone felt he did not deserve)

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Unicorn
    WoW Realm
    Shattered Hand

Best way I've found is to create an application format, and if they can't follow the format to the letter then they don't get in. How can you expect them to follow instructions in endgame if they can't follow instructions on a forum?

Merits and merited 75 jobs for flexability.

The ability to listen, understand and act on what the leader explaiins. Someone can spell out the strategy for a fight, explain what to do in what situations but the everyone needs to actually listen and understand.

The ability to show up to events on time.

Yeah right.

The Tower
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Stromgarde Siren
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Siren

Avoid gear whores and drama whores, those are the types of people that will destroy your shell from within. Intelligence and compatable personalities are to be highly valued, as are the ability to follow orders and focus when things start getting hairy.

Forum whores and post whores are generally ok to have, though.

Cerberus
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Quetzalcoatl

Character is paramount, get people that are dedicated, willing to put the linkshell's needs before their own, and aren't drama queens. Besides that, playing skill/jobs leveled/hours available are of roughly equal importance.

Relic Horn
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Carbuncle

An Efficient Consumption Bundle
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Elyise Thierremont
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut
    WoW Realm
    Muradin

Quote Originally Posted by Dezzimal
    Best way I've found is to create an application format, and if they can't follow the format to the letter then they don't get in. How can you expect them to follow instructions in endgame if they can't follow instructions on a forum?
    qft

Really, if someone can't fill out a simple form they won't be a productive or competent member of an end-game linkshell. Or, even worse an applicant who balks at the 'indignation' of having to complete an application package will do nothing but whine and cause drama in the linkshell.

Beyond that, I'll echo Daahan's recommendations from his Linkshell treatise about having an extended probationary period for new members in a LS. The kinds of snakes and charlatans that populate FFXI can easily fake being kind, interesting, and cooperative for a few days while their trial period wears off. However, setting a probationary period of a month or more will not only deter flaky gear-whoring members who are looking for a quick Relic armor or Abj. but also give the LS executive a good chance to see how the new recruit actually acts once they get tired of being all nicey-nice.

Old Merits
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Heian
    ODOYLE FAILS.

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

The ability to listen, understand and act on what the leader explaiins. Someone can spell out the strategy for a fight, explain what to do in what situations but the everyone needs to actually listen and understand.
    I agree. While you want people to be self-sufficient and capable of rational thought, you also want someone who knows when to shut the hell up and listen, as to prevent chaos.

A number of other good suggestions were mentioned here as far as character goes.

One thing you really want to pay mind to, with people who have multiple jobs: Willingness to go on whatever job they're *needed* as at a particular event, without having a drama fest. For example, while it may be nice to recruit the person who has BRD, SMN, DRG, and PUP leveled, they're really not doing jack shit for your LS if they whine and scream everytime you ask them to come on BRD or SMN, saying "BUT MY PUPPET'S GUNARM IS HAX!" or "I don't feel like changing gear again" -- be willing to humor and accomodate those people, yeah, but go for people who aren't going to throw a fit if you ask them to come on certain jobs.

Also go for a few people you see as. . potential leaders, or at least people you can delegate some responsibility to -- nothing sucks more than an LS leader than to have the feeling that if you go away for a day or two, shit won't get done.

Relic Shield
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva

Quote Originally Posted by Stilgar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heian
    ODOYLE FAILS.
    ROFL How gutted would you be?

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

First off you don't want to recruit too many melee's. 1 of each melee jobs just for token purposes is more than enough, I'm sure everyone who levels a mage/tank job will also have melee leveled. Most melee's just slow down a linkshells progress since you need to spend more time in annoying places like sky to gear them up. They also aren't very useful for a lot of the major HNM fights. A lot of them end up going emo because they aren't getting alliance time for the important fights, you can avoid drama by not recruiting too many in the first place. =)

Here's how I would do the recruitment:

- Get 10+ blackmages(the more the better)
    - At least 5 summoners(the more the better)
    - Several whitemages(Around 5-8 )
    - 1 dragoon to make fun of in the LS(every LS needs 1)
    - Get 3 monks for chi-blast rotation and full time penance(make sure their penance is fully meritted).
    - Around 4 dependable and good paladins(ones that knows how to balance hate, knows how to use pld/nin and just generally know wtf they're doing)
    - 2-3 ninjas(that can tank as /war or /drk), although I'm sure everyone has ninja or will level ninja to 75
    - 3-5 bards (Need a good balance of mp and chr gears)
    - Dark knights with kclub
    - A few rangers(good for kited fights and sky)
    - 1-2 Thiefs with TH3+ (TH whore basically)
    - 1-2 Corsairs with MP gears since they'll be playing as /whm for end game
    - A few bluemages
    - 1-2 samurai (nice for fafhogg and aspid)
    - Around 3-5 redmages with /blm, /whm and /drk subjobs leveled
    - Don't recruit wars, they're gear whores and don't really help the LS as much as other jobs
    - Having one of each type of level 100 crafter is a bonus

The nice people to recruit are those ones with several jobs leveled to 75. That usually means they play this game a lot and will contribute in the linkshells events.

As for style, there's a general pattern for players usually that is nice to recruit. For example, there are those who play mostly mage/support jobs and merit mp, -emnity. Then we have players who levels tank jobs and focus on HP and +emnity merits and have a passion for tanking things(they usually end up as your most dependable tanks in the LS). We also have those that level all 3 type of jobs(Mage, DD and Tank) to offer the LS flexibility. Finally, we have those that only play 1 job and has total dedication to it.

You want to make sure you don't recruit lootwhores. Everyone wants items, but if they can't wait for their turn and constantly whine and complain without good reasoning behind it then they're not worth keeping.

You'd want to recruit nice and friendly people. Nothing is worst than having an elitist asshat putting everyone down in the linkshell and acting all high and mighty.

When recruiting members, make sure you do a background check on them. Talk to their previous linkshells officers/members and get some information on their attitude, attendance and skill(unless you know them already).

Hm...that's about it I think. XD

Good luck in forming your linkshell. :D

D. Ring
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Not so much in terms of levels and equipment, that's easy enough to find out but more in terms of play style, character, general reputation and what not.

Sea Torques
    BG Level

I will echo the application abalities are an indication of thier playing style / nature.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Determine what you need that enables you to do the events you want to do and work from there. If you're totally alone in your desire right now to build an end-shell, then I'd put the need list like this:

1. Officers. Honest, open, calm, knowledgable, skilled, dedicated, reliable, FFXI addicts.

You need people that can take initiative to make things happen and that know when it's time both to do so and to ask you first before they act. Folks that you can bounce ideas off of and vice-versa who won't get all worked up if a bad idea is tossed out. Listen to them if they say you've got a bad idea -- don't try to force things.

2. Recruiters. These are your hamsters. People lovers.

Doesn't need to be an officer, but they do need to be online a lot. Some people are just naturally good at generating interest in your shell. The more interest there is in your shell, the easier job you'll have of selecting the best folks to fit your needs. If you lack recruitment, you'll have to accept whoever comes just to get the numbers & jobs you need.

--

Those are the two key ingredients. Once you have them, you can start your shell. Until you do, you'll be struggling if you start without them. After those two areas are filled, I'd set the qualifications like this:

3. Reliability / play-time. Does their play-time match yours? Will they show up every time or are do they only come on a whim?

4. Skill. Are they skilled at their job? Open to trying new methods? Most all 75s have the basics and can learn end-stuff, so this is really a bonus.

If you fill the list with folks matching 3&4, you'll be ready to succeed at your events.

5. Fun. Not strictly required to succeed, but fun people are a lot better to have around than skilled reliable obnoxious people. Even if they're not recruiting-hamsters, regular old lovable-hamsters help keep people happy in the shell. The more you have that match this one, the easier your job will be as shell leader.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaylia
    DankKujata wrote:
    Typing skillzzzzzzzzzz.

You dropped the ball there Kaylia =0p

Quote Originally Posted by Navyr
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaylia
    DankKujata wrote:
    Typing skillzzzzzzzzzz.

You dropped the ball there Kaylia =0p
    http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y22...misc/girls.gif

I welcome you and your avatar to the forums....

GOD that's hot.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast