+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: DLP Projection TVs.     submit to reddit submit to twitter

DLP Projection TVs.

So ive been looking for a nice new TV lately and have seen all the best Plasmas, LCDs, and have recently starting looking at HDTVs that focus on DLP technology (digital light projection).

The current one im looking at:

http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/B000FVELO0 ... 84-2523840

Has 1080p resolution, which is pretty much the best you can get from what ive read/hear/asked around for. It has twice the clarity of the 1080i because of the progressive scan giving a constant picture. It is about half the price of a LCD the same size, and about 1/3 of the price of a plasma. The difference being plasma and LCD are about a foot skinnier lol.

My question, to you tech gurues out there: Is this a good technology? Does the LCD or Plasma display give a better pic, even if this one has 1080p resolution, or am i just paying for size on the plasma or LCD?

Is this technology something that burns out alot? How does it handle gaming?? Ive wiki'd the DLP tech and it sounds good, but just dont wanna blow my money on a shitty system that is out of date.

Comments?

Puppetmaster
    BG Level

Thats a good TV but if you want my opinion I think Sony makes the best HDTV rear-projections right now with the new SXRD line of Grand WEGA's that support 1080p. Here's a link it's only a 50" and cost a little more then the one you linked too but I think it would be worth the difference.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-KDS-50A20...&s=electronics

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

Mitsubishi in my opinion makes quite possibly the crappiest tv's in the world. at least for a major well known brand. they are the BOSE of tvs.

i agree with the above poster sony makes some very decent tvs, so does sharp and hitachi.

bottom line in my opinion from personal experience do not buy a mitsubishi tv.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Exoduso Fenice
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... 5069969129

This one should be a good TV, if you don't mind forking the money for it... then again, you could just wait a few weeks and let prices drop after Christmas.

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Exoduso
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... 5069969129

This one should be a good TV, if you don't mind forking the money for it... then again, you could just wait a few weeks and let prices drop after Christmas.

last time i checked these were great tvs but i havent looked at one in a while.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Exoduso Fenice
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

A friend of mine recently got the 42" of that series...

I think i'm going for the 46" though, since its got a better Contrast Ratio, and a lower response time.

EDIT: Oh, and the picture is absolutely stunning on the 42"... no lag issues with PS2/other systems either.

Well guys, i think some are missing the point.

Some of those links are indeed great, but what im asking is:

Can i get the same picture quality out of a DLP vs a plasma or a LCD, or is their only real difference size?

Is THAT DLP a worthwhile investment? Or is DLP even worth buying.

I am not looking to spend 5 grand on a tv, so giving a link to the best isnt really relevant. Im really looking for "best for the money", in which case it appeared to me that the tv i linked was the HDTV picture with 1080p resolution, but 1/3 the price of plasma.

At the moment i havent heard any "OH NO, DLP will burn out on you, give you shitty picture, or fail at gaming, so im not sure if there is any reason to get the plasma or LCD over it".

Can anyone give me some evidence/experience that plasma or LCD will give better picture, or at least so much better to constitute another $3000 added to the price.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Exoduso Fenice
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

Read this:

http://www.hdera.org/HDTVguide.htm#specs

I would go with an LCD... but if you insist getting a DLP, don't buy Mitsubishi.

Quote Originally Posted by Exoduso
    Read this:

http://www.hdera.org/HDTVguide.htm#specs

I would go with an LCD... but if you insist getting a DLP, don't buy Mitsubishi.
    Thankyou, just what i was looking for. It seems the weakness of the DLP is its slow response time.

Plasma has best brightness and contrast ratio, but looses life alot faster.

I think a higher end LCD that performs near a plasma would be the best deal/tv.

Any comments.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Exoduso Fenice
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I agree, especially if you will play on it.

Since it's got a slow response time, you might have lag between the sound the TV will make, and what you will see on the screen at the time.

An LCD like the Sharp I linked you earlier is a good one, but it's still 3000 you will have to fork for it... even though Bestbuy is giving the option of paying small monthly payments for their HDTVs.

The other option is to just wait after the holidays and see if prices drop, even the high Sony ones (which probably roll in their 4k-5k's) might go down considerably than their current price.

I Am, Who I Am.
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Trixi Sephyuyx
    FFXIV Server
    Excalibur
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

Untill DLP finds a way to get a faster responce time, buying a high end 1080p LCD is the way to go.

I bought a 56" DLP rear-projection TV recently, Toshiba brand.

DLP is not succeptible to burn-in like LCD and plasma are, so that was one of the main reasons I bought a DLP, the fact its gamer friendly in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterio
    I bought a 56" DLP rear-projection TV recently, Toshiba brand.

DLP is not succeptible to burn-in like LCD and plasma are, so that was one of the main reasons I bought a DLP, the fact its gamer friendly in that regard.
    Does the low refresh rate cause any shadowing, rainbow effects, or slow imaging. How does it handle gaming?

E. Body
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Bro Teampill
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit

Since when is LCD susceptible to burn-in?

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

only bad thing about DLP TV's is that like every 2 years or sumthing you have to replace the lamp in it which is 200$ or sumthing like that

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Fhqwghads
    Since when is LCD susceptible to burn-in?
    LCD panel TVs do not burn in at all. and i honestly forget if LCD rear projection TVs do burn in but just look at how they are built. if they have phosphors they will burn if not they wont.

also to the OP that tv you linked to is a mitsubishi, i would not buy a mitsubishi at all ever under any circumstance. i am not sure about DLP vs. LCD rearpro for games (DLP is better imo for movies from what i have seen on a couple really good tvs).

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Exoduso Fenice
    FFXIV Server
    Midgardsormr
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

LCD is probably your best choice if you're going for a gaming TV.

Sharp, Samsung, or Sony are you top choices, naturally.

Ironing this Thread
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Boyiee Star
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    WoW Realm
    Kel'Thuzad

DLP is awesome, I have one and love it, but LCD is better. There is no lag or problem with response time or contrast, it looks fucking beautiful. It is one of the best TV's i've ever had or seen and I play a ton of games on it, all of them look fantastic. LCD is better, but you also have to pay for that. The visual differnce is really slim, the only thing you are really getting out of an LCD is that it's flat and can go on a wall... You aren't going to be able to tell a real difference between a 1080p lcd and a 1080p dlp with your eyes unless the store you are at purposely messed with brightness and such so that the lcd looks better (and stores do this alot btw)

Quote Originally Posted by melbufrauma
    only bad thing about DLP TV's is that like every 2 years or sumthing you have to replace the lamp in it which is 200$ or sumthing like that
    plasma bulbs need replacement every 40,000 viewing hours and cost $1,000 (used to be anyways). anyways with high end TVs buy them at a place like best buy and get the warranties, the bulbs are free, plus blown pixels, etc...

Forum Donator
    BG Level

New generation DLP have little problem with refresh rates. That link that was quoted above is old and wrong.

This is why DLP is far and away better than either Plasma or lolLCD:

1) No chance of burn in.

2) Deepest and richest black levels.

3) Smoother, more natural looking picture than either LCD or Plasma.

4) Lighter (weight) than LCD or Plasma).

5) Bulb, when changed, essentially gives you a brand new TV. Bulb for LCD is far more expensive. Not to mention the bulb is only one part that degrades with that technology. LCD pixels can and do wear out. Plasma gas can and will degrade.

6) Significantly cheaper than both LCD or Plasma.

I have the Samsung 42" DLP. It is probably the best piece of electronics that I have ever bought. It really excels with Sports and Games.