Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Old Merits
    BG Level

Worth it to craft anymore, in this economy?

Just wondering what some of the more experienced crafters think, the type of person with multiple 100s. I'm a nab at crafting, my main is only in the 70s, and I only have a couple even at 60. It just seems like it's not such a great way to make money anymore... all the synths I've depended on in the past are worse off profit-margin wise, and I find I make better money selling hnm drops or stuff from bcnm or assault.

I've kinda been thinking about making a crafting push to see what it's like to master one, but it's looking like a waste of money, to be honest.

crafting sucks, in the past like 3-4 months ive been losing money crafting, mainly because of the massive deflation and undercutting. Lost about 15M maybe a bit more since my last lucky string of HQs

edit: bone100+3/subs60+1 gilgamesh

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

It depends on the server and the craft a lot, but overall I still believe there is no easier and faster way to make money. Nowadays, if you get your first craft to 100, there is no fast way to get rich like there used to be. But, you can slowly build a nice bank account in a more efficient way than any form of farming, bcnm, assault etc., you just have to be willing to find the items that not many crafters make, and you can make 50k here and there for 0 investment. Like I said, it's not a way to get rich, but it's still a good solid way to balance expences and still build some wealth.

100 bone 100 smithing here.

Crafting's always gonna be a great way to make money, although with the prices so low and people undercutting NQ's like it's their job, unless you HQ quite often or HQ somethin big, you may lose a good bit of cash.

100+3 bone/60+1 everything

crafting sucks now, but its still better than farming

cloth/bone/cook/alch 100

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Kujata

iam 100wood on kujata, i still can make alot of gil with crafting but way slower cuz the main problem now is its start to be really hard to sell your hq. for exemple this week i had the half of the hq staves on ah, most of them went back to me and not cuz of undercut, ppl just dont buy like it used to be.

i guess ige need to lower their price

Sanoske

Eh, crafting is ok. It seems on my server the problem isn't synths, but retarded crafters.... and lots of em.

Quetz: 99+3 Cloth

Hydra
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Kujata

Quote Originally Posted by Sanoske
    Eh, crafting is ok. It seems on my server the problem isn't synths, but retarded crafters.... and lots of em.
    last monday on kujata 11 cursed haidate were on AH, since the history is 2-3 sell a week for long time its pretty stupid.

i also like looking AH history on elemental bead, its make me lol when 1 person buy 10 beads(or more cuzu cant see it) and days after, there still no hq staves of that element on AH.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level

Since the recent bannings, I've noticed the supply of Angel Skins and Vclaws really slow down. I'm not sure if some rmt were eliminated, or if they are tired of selling stuff at 300k and 1.2m each, but prices have started to go back up a little bit now which is a nice turn, Shiva's economy has gone from top 25% to 4th worst in the last month.

And about selling hq's, I agree it's become a lot more difficult to sell things. I've been trying to sell some cursed sollerets -1 and cursed mufflers -1 for 3m each and no biters, it's pretty sad.

Spiders are Awesome
    BG Level

Bonecraft is dead on Ragnarok. Pretty sure it's dead on every server. It's not deflation that killed it... just the influx of 100 crafters who have no idea what they're doing, combined with the fact that more than half of armor sales on the AH are resales and therefore undercutted. If you don't HQ a tier 0 you lose money. If you do HQ a tier0 you get to spend 4 months looking for a buyer.

Sanoske

Quote Originally Posted by Kerberoz
    If you do HQ a tier0 you get to spend 4 months looking for a buyer.
    So true. ; ;

Definitely retarted crafters screwing people over ;;

I've found a niche here and there that reappears every now and then, can only make so much off of it ( T1/0 low selling suckage ).

Starting to be the best option is consumables, but oh how sorry you feel when 72 synths later, you realize you've only made 20k.

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

There's still some money in crafting, but a lot less than a year ago. Slow sales, undercutting and stupid crafters makes it horrible if you synth on the same markets as last year.

On lakshmi, HQ staves sell for a loss very often (people sell HQ staves for about 2.5x to 3x the price of the bead, on a tier2 synth) so unless you have a very lucky HQ streak, you basically waste money by crafting staves. Even worse, a few weeks ago AH had 40+ HQ Lightning Bows listed at the same time, ended up selling for half the price of the Ose Whiskers you use to craft these...undercut-fest ><

Today, WW still has good incomes, but you can't make any more money on the mainstream synths...gotta be creative, target low level synths, and also use your subs. In the past 3 months I've been making more gil with clothcraft and leathercraft at 60, than WW at 100. Spent a lot more time crafting, though...

Edit : i'm WW 100 on Lakshmi.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

The problem with crafting these days isn't even RMT in my opinion, it's idiots with more money than common sense.

Take blessed pumps, once upon a time they were +20-30k a synth and high demand since they're a decent pair of gear (I assume, I'm not WHM expert) and the occasional HQ would yield you some spending money, all was well.

Then one day someone gets a BRILLIANT idea "I know! If I just sit here and make 70-80 Blessed pumps over the course of 1-2 weeks I'll surely HQ enough to make tons of profit!" And they did, and the 20-30k profit quickly became 40k loss when the main + mules pretty much unloaded all the NQs onto the market at the same time (not 70-80 at once but enough to kill the market because of undercutting to hell) and how many did they HQ?

Killed a whole fucking market for 2 HQs, which btw took forever to sell and for way less than previous HQ's because the market on NQ dropped so did HQ. Stupid people should not be allowed to craft.

I know on Fenrir the Rainbow cape / Haub / SH / Weskit markets have pretty much the same trouble, many old crafters doing their thing, and a few dumbasses with shit for brains.

Unfortuanetly we also have a few JP LCers on Fenrir with so much money I think they just flood dusk for the shit of it, each dusk glove synth for a while was a nice 200k profit per (high risk obviously but good money) and it was nice, LC market being small the people who could afford to make it paced themselves.

Then the JP come along and synth like 3-4 each and throw them up on AH and bazaar the 1/50 HQ for 40m and let it not sell for month upon months. (WW market had this done to cursed Dryadic gear I believe, I could be wrong)

I have put crafting on hold for a while, just pretty much craft for friend, but the stupidity exhibited by some of my fellow crafters (probably nobody who reads this, but yea) is depressing.

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

Crafting will always make you money. When crap drops in price, a lot of time everything drops in price. Which also means that even though your item craft costs less, it also costs less to make it. Your problem isn't the economy, it's that you don't have a craft at 100.

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Unless someone can monopolize the item you need for the craft, what you describe Sath would happen no matter what. One person can speed up the process, but if the price crash, it was bound to crash sooner or later.

If the guy was able to craft so many blessed pump, it means the AH had the ingredient for it. Assuming he wouldnt be the one buying the ingredient, someone else would done it (or many would). With so many high level crafter, I dont think it's possible to maintain a price virtually high, especially with everyone is trying to go for HQ gears, since they already obtained their NQ a long time ago.

It's not really different than any gears you get from BC. Market will be overflooded eventually, and if you would not undercut, it would just stop selling. As good as those pump can be, there will always be more crafted than the demand, and it just happens to be now. If they would worth more, price would go back up soon after

Salvage Bans
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Lakshmi

Quote Originally Posted by SathFenrir
    (WW market had this done to cursed Dryadic gear I believe, I could be wrong)
    Yeah :/ Everyone wants HQ Shura pants nowadays (but it's obviously not a *good* market though). Divine logs and Behemoth hides being more and more available over time, people now synth batches of these...I don't think that's how S-E was thinking crafting would come to ><

People being white-box whores is also what made crafting so fucked up nowadays...Can't really complain though, since many of us made a lot of money out of it, back when having a 100 craft wasn't an easy thing to get.

Ridill
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Sath Fenrir
    FFXIV Server
    Cactuar
    FFXI Server
    Fenrir

Quote Originally Posted by Kaylia
    Unless someone can monopolize the item you need for the craft, what you describe Sath would happen no matter what. One person can speed up the process, but if the price crash, it was bound to crash sooner or later.
    Honestly, I think it depends on the server / craft.

Leathercraft on my server there aren't many @ 100, and the ones at 100 or close to it communicate with each other to some extent.

Until recently people pretty much have used their common sense, whether items are up on AH or not. RMT own NQ behemoth for the most part so there are always hides on AH, and whether or not people have the gil (most of the LCers on Fenrir I believe could afford 5-6 hides at once) it usually goes without saying that the risk of crashing the market trying to force a HQ isn't worth it.

I can't 100% speak for others, just from the crafters I keep in touch with and from what I've seen. Whitebox frenzy seems to be getting the better of a lot of people and it's causing some serious problems.

But that's just my opinion.

This is kind of depressing me too.

I've got 61 WW, 60 LC, 53 CC. I make okay money on consumable materials, but was hoping for some of the big ticket items.

I took over my friend's account when he left, 100 Alchemy. Then looked at market ... nothing there. I'm debating deactivating it again. Heck, I can make nickles and dimes on my own account, without having to pay for another whole account.

Sanoske

No one uses common sense on my server... and, imo, many crafters are just way too full of themselves. They're "old school', which of course means they can do whatever the fuck they want. /sarcasm

Take Prince's Slops on Quetz. Pretty much me and one other 'old shool' CC'er doing these. I didn't flood. I never put more than 1 or 2 on AH at a time, bazaared whatever else I had til AH one sold or they were bought out of bazaar. Prices were about 600k when I started in.. I raised em to 700k, was working on 750k when.... 700-500k in 2 days. All the same crafter.

Why? We're the only ones making serious effort on this item. Why not *help* the other crafter and keep the price up, and benefit both? I asked another CCer I know if he knew anything about the crafter. He basically said "She doesnt like people making the same item. Kinda of a control freak." Um. Right. So she is on the course of destroying a market... because "if she cant have control, no one can?" /sigh Btw... she did the same thing with Sha'ir Seraweels about 3 weeks earlier. 500k-150k in 3-4 days. (So went from being 50-100k profit... to about 150k loss)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast