Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread

THF Endgame Weapon Question

Hello,

THF was the first job I levelled when I played this game but stopped at 40ish. Then got NIN then BRD to 75.

My THF now rests at late 60s and I might as well take it to 75.

Question is it's been so long since I played THF and lots of new items not sure what to do for weapons once I get past 70. . .

So, I hear Blau Dalch is the best (besides relic) but it's 6m on my server and while I don't mind dropping 6m for a really good weapon, I do mind dropping it on a job I'll rarely be playing (Basically turn up to events for TH whore). What weapons can I get for THF that are not so expensive yet still good for damage?

Behemoth +1s look ok, and they are 1.5m each. Harpe is 2m and I was thinking about buying it.

Currently using 2x hoplite's harpe lol. . .

Edit: for clarification I don't want to be gimp thf but I believe there is a middle ground. I spend a lot of my time and money on my NIN to get that as good as it can be. Please bear that in mind ><

Fake Numbers
    BG Level

If you are referring to HNMs as 'end-game', honestly, the difference between daggers that are considered good is very small in performance. I've tried both P.Harpe and Blau Dolch (two of the better daggers aside from Mandau) on HNMs and there's almost no difference. My WS dmg difference between pre-patch Blau Dolch (D:28 I think?) and post-patch P.Harpe (D:37) hardly exists from my experience. So, picking up a Harpe if you don't have enough money for Blau would still do you well.

The most benefit that you'll get as THF, in end-game, is through subjobs. I personally like going /drk ('cept to Aery) while other THFs in my LS tend to favor /war.

I've only been to Sky as THF twice after dagger patch and the only gods I've fought as THF were Byakko and Kirin. I did fight several Genbus, but I used club for that.

Shark Bite on Kirin with post-patch P.Harpe (D:37)

Shark Bite on Kirin with pre-patch Blau Dolch (D:28)

I do have other SS to show that gives similar result so it's not luck or anything (I hope). Funny thing is, triple atk proc'ed with P.Harpe (forced it with Assassin's Charge), but didn't with Blau since I couldn't force it with AC. If triple atk also proc'ed on Blau, pre-patch Blau would've done more dmg than post-patch P.Harpe in WS dmg lol.

As THF in end-game, you'll hardly ever want to sub nin, so the delay difference between Harpe and Blau won't bring the world down on you if you're worried about that. Harpe would still get the job done.

Sandworm Swallows
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Syaoran Li
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

I'm not a THF, so not if I know exactly what is the best, but I'll just say what I see being used the most. A few of my friends used Blau Dolch + Sirocco Kukri. This might be bad to off hand on Puks though lol.

The Jambiya(+1) look like they have great damage for main handing if you can't get a Blau Dolch, but I would probably try to save up for one eventually.

A few of my friends said they didn't like the Harpe type weapons though due to the slightly higher delay, not sure if you care about that or not.

Ho Mamthra
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Michaera Khitell
    FFXIV Server
    Gilgamesh
    FFXI Server
    Bahamut

The Sirocco Kukri is definitely a great weapon, it's a lot of fun for meriting (except Puks >.>) and Dynamis, and it's free, but a bit of a pain to camp. If you want something that'll get you by with good numbers, definitely look into that Harpe or even a Martial Knife (300k on Bahamut?). Martial is a good weapon for just ripping out Shark Bites left and right, and it's fairly quick in comparison to some of the other endgame daggers. Though of course if you're just using it for TH whoring, i'll assume that's almost exclusively Dynamis, go and camp Sozu for a few months and look into a Bartholomew's Knife and you're set.

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

It all depends on what you defy as "end game". Lol. Bottom line, thf is there for treasure hunter. The best and only dagger a thf should have end game is a thf knife. Assuming end-game to you is HNM. Otherwise for XP, best dagger is relic, but most likely you won't be able to get that anytime soon.

If Mandau isn't an option (heh), then i suggest Blau Dolch or P. Harpe. Both very high damage daggers. P.Harpe is a drop from Xolotol in Attowa Chasm, and his drop rate is horrendous. I'm currently 0/30 and given up at this point. Blau Dolch on my server is currently 4.5M, compared to 25M when i bought it. It's really affordable and it has a hidden effect of attack +15 and a minor accuracy bonus.

As for your off-hand, well Sirocco Kukri is a great off-hand dagger. Low delay, high damage and latent is 100% and its free. If your xping, you should be subbing /war anyways, so offhand isn't that important. Same goes for HNM, should be subbing /whm, /war, /drk depending on situation. Only time you really sub /nin is for solo and really any dagger you prefer would work. Stun dagger, ranged accuracy, attack.

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

I like weapons that can be used on other jobs -- cuts down on inventory. Granted I don't use daggers much on NIN, but there are a few times where it's nice; eg. solo'ing with nin/whm for energy-drain or limbus v. crabs. Anything that cuts down on inventory is good.

Blau is great, but if you want to avoid the cost, Behemoth Knife +1 is decent, too. Both work on many jobs. If you're really strapped for cash, break the latent on Heart-Snatcher. That's another that works on many jobs and it's free and probably just sitting in your storage right now. The Harpes are all decent, but they're THF-only -- extra inventory/bank lost there. ><

BTW, if you have Suppanomimi, THF/nin is pretty much the same as THF/war for XP. THF/war over THF/nin depends mostly on how well you use Beserk and how stable your trick-targets are. If you can keep it on as much as possible and not take hate, you can top THF/nin, but it's not by a lot (at least not a lot for me). If you're a lazy 'zerker, your THF/nin will beat your THF/war.

If you're /NIN, offhand speed and stats, not damage. Blau is probably the best mainhand just because of the huge attack increase, unless you can get your hands on a P. Harpe. Some good offhands are Misericorde (+1), Sirocco Kukri, Garuda's Dagger.... I'd go with the Mis +1 personally, as it still has the base damage to keep your DoT up without ganking your attack speed.

If you can't afford Blau mainhand, go with Harpe. In the mainhand it's all about damage. Offhand doesn't matter nearly as much because it doesn't really impact WS damage.

Bagel
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Cerberus

Quote Originally Posted by Demitrius
    If you're /NIN, offhand speed and stats, not damage. Blau is probably the best mainhand just because of the huge attack increase, unless you can get your hands on a P. Harpe. Some good offhands are Misericorde (+1), Sirocco Kukri, Garuda's Dagger.... I'd go with the Mis +1 personally, as it still has the base damage to keep your DoT up without ganking your attack speed.

If you can't afford Blau mainhand, go with Harpe. In the mainhand it's all about damage. Offhand doesn't matter nearly as much because it doesn't really impact WS damage.
    No one should use Garuda's post-68 since the Dagger DMG patch. There are much better options available now.

I'll change yer fuckin rate you derivative piece of shit
    BG Level

Magnet knife is probably the best dagger that is really cheap for thief. After that you're looking at Harpe, Behe+1, Blau, and a ton of RA/EX options.