Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Herald's Gaiters     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Kaylia
    Quote Originally Posted by Linsivi
    12% just plain owns sea. You can outrun every non NM mob in the Garden and Palace with just gaiters. You don't need to sleep, you don't need to stop and bind, you can just run and they will eventually deagro or you will hit a port and go away.
    You can do that without gaiter, assuming your pc doesnt start lagging when there is 20mobs after you.
    One thing that I haven't been able to do without +movement speed that I can do with Gaiters is train from one teleporter to the other inside of the towers in sea (have to time accepting the teleport up perfectly though).

But the truth is, although there are plenty of strategic advantages to having gaiters (I've kited Vrtra on WHM for several laps around the room), why must every reward have some sort of strategic advantage? I would rather sell every single bit of saleable gear I have and strip down to AF than give up my gaiters because running at normal speed is downright painful now. Sure, I'm spoiled, but the truth is that +movement speed changes the game in a way that +50 MP or +10 attack can't even come close to.

When is the last time you got a single piece of gear that significantly changed the game for you?

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

One thing that I haven't been able to do without +movement speed that I can do with Gaiters is train from one teleporter to the other inside of the towers in sea (have to time accepting the teleport up perfectly though).
    Dunno, that's how I usually zone. I wont tell you I never died in 2 years on those teleport, but I survive most of the time. My trick is to have autorun on. You will continue running a bit more, and can still accept the message. It's usually enough time to zone.

But the truth is, although there are plenty of strategic advantages to having gaiters (I've kited Vrtra on WHM for several laps around the room), why must every reward have some sort of strategic advantage? I would rather sell every single bit of saleable gear I have and strip down to AF than give up my gaiters because running at normal speed is downright painful now. Sure, I'm spoiled, but the truth is that +movement speed changes the game in a way that +50 MP or +10 attack can't even come close to.

Our first pair of gaiter dropped today. It went to a SMN who is in our LS for 3years, and probably never got any real loot. I've absolutely no problem with that. I'm sure I could have used them more during LS event (I was training add away during tiamat, I'm always the one kiting stuff in sea on blm), but in the end, it doesnt really matter. Might save me a couple xp point once in a while, but it won't make or break our strategy.

I agree movement speed can add a lot more than 50mp/10atk, but it still wont change much

I can do it most anywhere else, but I usually get "Event Interrupted" inside the towers. That said, I've only tried to do it like 3 times without Gaiters, so it could just be that I suck.

Edit: and when I mean game-changing, I just mean for the person wearing them. Frankly, I really couldn't care less whether or not getting them helps the linkshell as a whole. Why should it have to?

CoP Dynamis
    BG Level

or getting into the Aery or BD faster than the others hnm when kings pop so you dont wipe? a few mages running 12% faster then anyone in the other ls makes a huge diffrence, why mnk can get it? idk se must be planing to nerf them lolz

If you stopped to actually learn something you might not post these uninformed posts.
    BG Level

Re: Herald's Gaiters

Quote Originally Posted by Vedder
    OK, since there is a newbie forum I feel safe asking a question that I have always wondered about.

Why are Herald's Gaiters so sought after? I mean... I can read the stats and I know what they mean, but is it due to rarity or does it give some serious strategic advantage to the jobs that can wear them?

Speaking of jobs... what's the best job to utilize the Gaiters?
    http://img226.imageshack.us/img226/5416/gaitersya9.jpg

<3 my gaiters :D

Sea Torques
    BG Level

gaiters are sweet on the whm rr3 pullers in dynamis

If I didn't have RDM or PLD, I'd have a serious hardon for Gaiters. For now, I'd be content to be the last person to get them. I don't really see them kicking my BLM solo game up to a level past my RDM's.

Then again if you only have BLM and MNK leveled... You'd be

http://dontstopslide.ytmnd.com/

Almost all of the kited mobs named so far don't require movement+. Most mobs that are meant to be kited or can be kited usually require the use of obstacles to affect mob path. More advanced instances of kiting actually require you to go back in range of a mob to trigger actions.

This piece is best for not a particular job, but particular players who are already very skilled at kiting and can use these to enhance their productiveness, which is difficult to quantify. The whm running in range and out of range to do a curaga is a bad example where these gaiters simply don't matter. Benediction? > maybe.

New Merits
    BG Level

In a game that requires so much travelling, movement speed is ftw. Why do you think so many people continued using flee hacks etc even after being warned for using them? lol @ that movie thing, gotta be bored to make something like that.

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Kilrogg

Quote Originally Posted by Mystier
    I would agree with most said here. Gaiters are great for getting around Sea to check ??? pop locations and stuffs. I am a blm and we still do Kirin the old fashioned way, cause were a blm heavy ls, and I can kite Kirin with the best of them on blm lol.
    Yup i successfully kite Kirin on BLM for fairly long periods of time.. What i wouldn't give for gaiters to allow me to get distance again after bind!

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ifrit
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

Swap gears quickly and you can move with bind on >_>...very slowly tho

Salvage Bans
    BG Level

People still kite stuff? No Wai

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

First thing i wanted to do when I got my gaiters was train Romeave. But now seeing as how Im one of the few ppl in my LS that knows their was around sea to check pop spots, I wouldnt give my gaiters up for anything.

And I would really like to see 2-3 blms kill Faith, with or without gaiters. Im sure it can be done for a little while but once he starts resisting gravity he just flys too fast, or maybe I just havent tried with 3 BLMs that had gaiters.

Subduer of the Squenix
    BG Level

My ls has gotten 27 pairs of gaiters.

Most of them have gone to BLMs. They make a WORLD of difference in situations where BLMs are tanking. Now don't jump on my back for saying tank and BLM in the same sentence. But what I mean is something like: NW Apollyon or killing Ixs in sea with only BLMs, etc. One of the BLMs in my shell pulls for dynamis with them and well, they're what keeps him from losing a ton of XP instead of just a moderate amount!

If your linkshell kites a lot they are very valuable for WHMs. Keeping up with PLDs and NINs who have speed enhancement when you have none is really frustrating.

For MNK and SMN they're more for fun/solo unless you're talking about a Chi Blasting MNK who's kiting Kirin which I haven't personally seen in ages;

Now that SE instituted the double weak penalty, there's more of a stake in being able to stay alive and without a doubt, gaiters save you XP.

and it's fun to be able to get places fast :D

::edited gaiters total, we have 26+1 that someone actually bought from bazaar at 99,999.999 =(::

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Kerberoz
    Gaiters are godly for BLM. I use them the vast majority of the time, just swapping in Yigit right before a nuke goes off then swapping back out to gaiters. Sea NMs, any kited mob, solo and small parties, link control... nearly every single situaton BLM is in benefits greatly from gaiters. The only time they're not useful is for Fafhogg etc... fights where you stand still, which are few and far between. They're invaluable in Dynamis also, allowing you to outrun normal mobs and avoid many a rape. 2 or 3 BLMs with gaiters can kill Ix'mnk, Ix'drg, Ix'drk, Faith, Fortitude, KB, etc. They're nice for WHMs but not nearly as game breaking.

The difference between running the same speed as a mob and running slightly faster than the mob is huuuuge. They're useful for way more than running around town and training to Aery without taking any damage.
    Kerberoz said it the best.

Gaiters are not best used 'so you can get to an hnm camp faster.'

They are best used like this (3-man Ix'Dark, rdm, blmx2 - both blms have gaiters):
    http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a13...fxi/IxDark.jpg

And this (4-man IX'Monk w/ rdm, whm, blm, thf for TH)
    http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a13...i/monkcape.jpg

And this:
    http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a13...xi/Minifaf.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Andrinne
    They are best used like this (3-man Ix'Dark, both blms have gaiters):
    Except you can nuke-zone/dot-zone him far easier than kiting. Or just kite around the entry hallway. If you know how, it's easy to abuse their pathing around the pillars there.

And this (4-man IX'Mon w/ rdm, whm, blm, thf for TH)
    Ix'monk is soloable without gaiters, lol. Anyone not wearing full dusk can kite it.

And this: (minifaf)
    Once again easily done without gaiters.

Don't get me wrong, if you're bad at kiting then sure gaiters will help. But they aren't game-breaking. They're just fun. I love using them in Al Zahbi for crafting.

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Yeah, I'm not really sure why you are posting Aurik.

Of course many of these things can be done without gaiters, but that isn't what i said.

What i said was "here is how gaiters are best used."

If your LS wants to give you a pair to do nothing with, thinking that showing off with womg12-percent movement speed as your run to the AH, then cool.

Actually I obviously prefer kiting the square room to zone-doting. I have no problem kiting, stoping and nuking him 'off myself.' If you need to zone, well then there probably is something wrong with your kiting and maybe they are best used in Al Zahbi.

I'm posting to say that you're just proving that it makes already-possible things more accessible to people who suck. None of the tasks you outlined are even difficult without gaiters, they're only difficult without brains.

Quote Originally Posted by aurik
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrinne
    They are best used like this (3-man Ix'Dark, both blms have gaiters):
    Except you can nuke-zone/dot-zone him far easier than kiting. Or just kite around the entry hallway. If you know how, it's easy to abuse their pathing around the pillars there.
    Speaking as the red mage in that shot we overruled zone kiting because of certain groups on fairy. Entry hallway is in consideration still but again the square room offers more privacy.

And this (4-man IX'Mon w/ rdm, whm, blm, thf for TH)
    Ix'monk is soloable without gaiters, lol. Anyone not wearing full dusk can kite it.
    Yes, but again gaiters help, and add a room for error/extra nuke/whatever. I mean you could use bio 1 instead of bio 2 too to DOT kite something...bio 2 is still better, even though the job will still get done with bio 1.

And this: (minifaf)
    Once again easily done without gaiters.

Don't get me wrong, if you're bad at kiting then sure gaiters will help. But they aren't game-breaking. They're just fun. I love using them in Al Zahbi for crafting.
    I wouldn't say "bad at kiting", though certainly gaiters help that. But you can kite stuff without crimson on rdm - but no one with crimson would kite stuff without them, for the simple reasons they let you get away with more and do stuff faster. As long as you can interrupt pathfinding most things aren't impossible to kite, but saying movement speed up doesn't play a role when trying to run away from something is pretty broad. In situations where you can't interrupt pathfinding either - broad stretches of open land - speed up does allow you to get away faster, period.

I mean, according to your logic, crimson cuisses are useless on pld and rdm, and striders are useless on thf, because you can do everything you need to without them, right? But I don't think that's a reasonable statement to make.

Physicist
    BG Level
    FFXIV Character
    Raineer Severus
    FFXIV Server
    Hyperion
    FFXI Server
    Siren
    WoW Realm
    Area 52

I'm posting to say that you're just proving that it makes already-possible things more accessible to people who suck. None of the tasks you outlined are even difficult without gaiters, they're only difficult without brains.
    Obviously no one should get gaiters but Aurik, for he is supreme to us all.

Actually, no one should get anything except Aurik, you should all just delete your accounts now and let him play by himself in his own supreme universe.

that was fun