Item Search

BG-Wiki Search
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Thief Gear Equips     submit to reddit submit to twitter

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

Thief Gear Equips

I'd like to get a rundown of end-game thfs out there and a complete list of their gear setups for exp, HNM, and solo situations. What gear works best for each? (including weapons)

I hear people say to sub /war for exp... is this better than /nin?

Is it more beneficial to macro in heca harness for WS or does D. Harness do the trick? I had a debate with a fellow LS thf and he thought D. Harness for the extra dex and att while i opted for all str in the situation and chose heca. Should it be a full heca swap when you ws in exp/HNM?

ty

Pens win! Pens Win!!! PENS WIN!!!!!
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Odin

This thread has been debated on every single other forum, and not it begins on BG. I'll make this short, because each person has a different playing style.

XP : /war
    End Game /whm, /war, /drk
    Solo /nin

SB : Dex, Attack, Str (mainly for end game)
    DE : Dex, Attack, Accuracy, Str (mainly for XP / Solo)

Too tired too type a long ass post, do a search on allkahzam / KI and oyu'll find many threads debating end game gear for thf.

Personally, I like /nin for xp best (lol if i ever get a merit pt on thf) only because i get more TP build that way. I have fully merited crit and triple attack, so that helps with TP as well, but i find that I do more damage over time as sj ninja than i would as sj war... despite the ZOMG BIG WS NUMBERS that /war sometimes gives.

i have heca body and feet for macroing on WS (have not obtained an N Head because it doesn't exist when my ls gets fafnir, but if it did i would also macro that in)... I don't use heca hands because when i WS i usually kill the mob, and i don't want to unequip TH hands for it.

My main dagger is Stylet, my offhand is Thf Knife. Since there is rarely a time i merit as thf, i don't have a secondary DD knife to replace Thf Knife with. All other situations people only have me as Thf for TH. Also! Remember that Dancing Edge is DEX *and* CHR base! Assassin Armlets have +5 CHR (as opposed to the +4 in H. Mittens... nevermind that H mittens also have +7 STR, but that doesn't count so much in the WS).

I use Stylet for the high damage, low delay, and DEX. I get my +att with my back piece and merits on Dagger.

I use Rajas and Flame ring because i dont see going past 100 dex to push damage higher, so I pump up the STR instead. This has made damage over time nicer! :D

I like dragon subligar for soloing, for the subtle blow. I think in XP pt i'd rather use Homam to boost TP gain. I use Walahra Turban full time, unless i'm somewhere like Dynamis Xarc where I need the added acc. I still use Warwolf Belt, despite other people liking swift belt... All those triple attack merits kinda make up for the loss of haste% in that slot.

Fafnir/Nidhogg always /whm
    KB: lol doesn't matter, but some like /sam
    XP: I would say use Dragon harness full time unless you're having trouble with TP gain... Then use SH, with Heca on WS.

Play around with your body EQ during XP party. Sometimes you need that added ACC with Scorpion Harness, and sometimes you don't. In all fairness, a lot of these things vary with race (I'm mithra with the nice DEX stat, so i don't need to overdo that trait on my EQ)

Melee Summoner
    BG Level

thx for the quick response

TOO MUCH MAN
    BG Level

For HNM: Thief's Knife and Assassin Armlets (for most linkshells).

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

XP: NIN ... way better than other subjob, faster TP make and an extra hit for Dancing Edge
    HNM: WAR or maybe DRK.

Gear i'd say focus on DEX and STR for WS.... and for tp accuracy and haste... you can ask me whenever you want.

Relic Weapons
    BG Level

Well. I'm a recently 75 THF, with like... Next to no Hecatomb gear. All I have is the cap.

My gear swap is primarily in STR/DEX, with AGI as a secondary stat. I pull around... STR+40/DEX+35/AGI+20 or so on my WS swap. I use Harpe/Sirocco Kukri when I sub NIN, Harpe/Tatami if I'm not.

Basically, STR/DEX are your best friends if you're using a WS, period. If you're using DE, Accuracy is also a good buddy of yours. Keep your STR/DEX up on swap, and Haste/Attack/Accuracy for DoT, and you should be golden.

٩๏̯͡๏)۶

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura
    WoW Realm
    Barthilas

Quote Originally Posted by Mithira
    XP: NIN ... way better than other subjob, faster TP
    lol

Sea Torques
    BG Level
    WoW Realm
    Gorgonnash

Quote Originally Posted by kihre
    Also! Remember that Dancing Edge is DEX *and* CHR base! Assassin Armlets have +5 CHR (as opposed to the +4 in H. Mittens... nevermind that H mittens also have +7 STR, but that doesn't count so much in the WS).

RIDE ARMOR
    BG Level

subbing anything but nin for exp is so trashy and 2005.

There's no single set of gear that you can use. You'll find yourself swapping pieces in and out every camp, every HNM, etc.

United States of Smash!
    BG Level

yeah it is tough to talk about subjobs and gear for any job in such general terms. it really depends on what you are doing. for xp i carry dex gear agi gear and tp gear, for soloing i have another set of gear, for HNM and sky yet another set of gear, and my sj changes depending on who i am with and what style of playing i will be doing.

edit: just noticed my title changed from "hydra" to "birdhair" wtf is birdhair? someone should start a thread in the general forums with a list of all the titles and the backstory to them...

Banned.

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Shiva
    WoW Realm
    Cho'gall

Quote Originally Posted by vagus
    This thread has been debated on every single other forum, and not it begins on BG. I'll make this short, because each person has a different playing style.

XP : /war
    End Game /whm, /war, /drk
    Solo /nin

SB : Dex, Attack, Str (mainly for end game)
    DE : Dex, Attack, Accuracy, Str (mainly for XP / Solo)

Too tired too type a long ass post, do a search on allkahzam / KI and oyu'll find many threads debating end game gear for thf.
    So far the best post and opinions displayed in this thread.

Smells like Onions
    BG Level

Quote Originally Posted by Quixotic
    Also! Remember that Dancing Edge is DEX *and* CHR base! Assassin Armlets have +5 CHR (as opposed to the +4 in H. Mittens... nevermind that H mittens also have +7 STR, but that doesn't count so much in the WS).

I think it was a joke..i uh, hope >.>

Mr. Bananagrabber
    Sweaty Dick Punching Enthusiast

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Asura

Quote Originally Posted by shat
    subbing anything but nin for exp is so trashy and 2005.
    loooooooooooooooooooooooooool

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Ragnarok

wow this really is the newbie section. Thieves with good gear/merits who actually can be considered DD's are laughing or crying, I'm not sure which.

Black Belt
    BG Level

Personally, I like /nin for xp best (lol if i ever get a merit pt on thf) only because i get more TP build that way. I have fully merited crit and triple attack, so that helps with TP as well, but i find that I do more damage over time as sj ninja than i would as sj war... despite the ZOMG BIG WS NUMBERS that /war sometimes gives.

i have heca body and feet for macroing on WS (have not obtained an N Head because it doesn't exist when my ls gets fafnir, but if it did i would also macro that in)... I don't use heca hands because when i WS i usually kill the mob, and i don't want to unequip TH hands for it.

My main dagger is Stylet, my offhand is Thf Knife. Since there is rarely a time i merit as thf, i don't have a secondary DD knife to replace Thf Knife with. All other situations people only have me as Thf for TH. Also! Remember that Dancing Edge is DEX *and* CHR base! Assassin Armlets have +5 CHR (as opposed to the +4 in H. Mittens... nevermind that H mittens also have +7 STR, but that doesn't count so much in the WS).

I use Stylet for the high damage, low delay, and DEX. I get my +att with my back piece and merits on Dagger.

I use Rajas and Flame ring because i dont see going past 100 dex to push damage higher, so I pump up the STR instead. This has made damage over time nicer! :D

I like dragon subligar for soloing, for the subtle blow. I think in XP pt i'd rather use Homam to boost TP gain. I use Walahra Turban full time, unless i'm somewhere like Dynamis Xarc where I need the added acc. I still use Warwolf Belt, despite other people liking swift belt... All those triple attack merits kinda make up for the loss of haste% in that slot.

XP: I would say use Dragon harness full time unless you're having trouble with TP gain... Then use SH, with Heca on WS.

Play around with your body EQ during XP party. Sometimes you need that added ACC with Scorpion Harness, and sometimes you don't. In all fairness, a lot of these things vary with race (I'm mithra with the nice DEX stat, so i don't need to overdo that trait on my EQ)
    My THF is level 22, but I got a feeling at least half of that stuff is wrong.

ExcaliMod
    Paper Towels? Who needs paper towels, Under the sink they go!

BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Sylph

Quote Originally Posted by Zilong

My THF is level 22, but I got a feeling at least half of that stuff is wrong.
    why take the gil and time to setup a meat build /war thf when Ima just take her RDM to my PT

Oh wait, Tekki doesn't make parties <.< (And yes he talks in third person all the time)

Re: Thief Gear Equips

Quote Originally Posted by Chlymera
    I hear people say to sub /war for exp... is this better than /nin?
    ty
    Depends what your fighting.

For xp:
    Weapons = /nin
    Ul. range = debatable (Molechs I prefer /nin but demons /war)
    Everything else = /war

New Spam Forum
    BG Level
    FFXI Server
    Bismarck

The only two reasons I'm ever on THF is for TH4 or for rebuilding lost XP from Dynamis. I always sub/nin. Sub/war on XP for me is about the same as sub/nin. This is probably more a testament to me sucking as thf/war on xp than to the SJ sucking -- I chat too much and forget to keep Beserk up as much as I could.

For non-XP, our shell is too tiny and there's too much variety in what we do for me to come on a more focused HNM-DD sub (like war or drk). If you have a larger shell (not unlikely), you have a lot more latitude. Usually, I have to come as main-nin to tank. I'm one of two nins in shell with the gear needed to tank HNM. I'm only main thf when we have a guest tank or two with good tanking gear (not often).

If you really want to play main-job THF, get TH4 and make SURE you have no other useful jobs to 75. If you have other useful jobs, people are going to ask you to play that instead even if you do have TH4. Safe other jobs: sam, mnk, blu, drk, pup, bst, cor. Raise a mage to 75 and you can kiss your THF days goodbye. War|Nin|Pld might be safe -- but only if you gear it just for XP and/or your shell already has too many.

The power of TH4 superstition can overcome a lot, but it can't beat mage utility.